Deployed to Hurricanes....Life with FEMA

I have just returned from Texas hurricane duty for our friends at FEMA. I was part of a huge EMS presence in the Gulf region. I was in one of roughly 1000 ambulances based out of Kelly AFB in San Antonio Texas.
There were also 1100 tour buses and 300 taxis located nearby.

I originally went down for Gustav, taking some 30 hours to drive a convoy of 15 ambulances from Michigan to San Antonio. I spent 10 days in the heat, often eating MRE's ( which I later discovered that eating the laxative gum is a must or it's constipation time) and sweating in the 98 degree heat in the middle of a parking lot with 2500 idling vehicles.

We spent our active times on "missions". I learned early that, as in the military, the standard is hurry up and wait. FEMA has some rules and practices that I would, as a Fire Chief, consider an incredible waste of time, right up to damn dangerous.

Here are some examples.......

We were sent out to evacuate patients from nursing homes and hospitals in the projected storm path to a safer location further up north. This usually entailed traveling 200-400 miles one way, with a patient that we had little or no information about. We were not required to write a run form or notify anyone of the patients condition or "officially" transfer care to anyone at the drop-off point. Mostly the care was given by volunteers with no known medical license.
We were to follow our original state medical protocols, although nothing was in writing as to that effect.

Due to the public attempting to evacuate, there were miles and miles (61 miles at one point) of bumper to bumper traffic headed north on a two lane road that required us (a convoy of 5, 10, 0r 15 med units) to travel left of center the whole way.

FEMA's policy is that if there are 2 or more ambulances traveling for a mission or returning to base, we were to run lights and sirens. Always. Siren use was usually reduced to intersections and blind curves or crossing traffic, maybe pedestrians nearby only.

We ran left of center for 61 miles passing stopped traffic headed north. Stopped got fuel, bathroom break, then back on the road, lights and sirens.

At times we were North bound with 15 of us and we would see another 10 or so coming south and yet still another long line of ambulances going thru the intersection East to West. It was nuts!
We would see cops sitting off on the side of a 2 lane road and we would go by at 60mph in a 40mph and just wave.

Now don't get me wrong, we evacuated a lot of patients. A lot. We ran non-stop. Which is my next complaint.

We worked non-stop for 24-30 hours without rest. Some were failing asleep at the wheel with patients on board!

And that was Gustav. It did not hit Texas. All of it was unnecessary. I am fully aware of the dangers of NOT evacuating. (See IKE below.) But these were risks taken beyond the point of good judgement and safety.

Now don't get me wrong. Some was done quite well. Fema did supply water and ice, almost a non-ending supply of water and ice.
And we did have some fun! I made a hammock out of a "Mega-mover" (roughly a bariatric tarp with handles) and tied it under a FEMA trailer to keep out of the sun. Also we had a baseball game using a long board splint for a bat, a roll of 3" tape with more tape wrapped around it for a ball. Taped a bed pan on my hand for a catchers mitt, and eventually took a cot mattress and belted it to me as an unpire protecting pad. This looked pretty funny as it was a couple of feet too long and extended onto the ground forward under the catcher! Lots of people stopped by to watch and take pictures. My only explanation was....."Hey, were from Detroit!" Somehow that seemed to explain everything.

We were released after 10 days to return to Michigan and drove another 30 hours home.


After 36 hours home I was re-deployed to IKE.

Another 30 hour drive to San Antonio.

This time with a different Manager/Supervisor in charge and I was named as the #2 guy in charge.

We arrived in SA and checked in. This is never a quick process as when FEMA is involved, the red tape is incredible. The logistics of something this size is just staggering. The apparent problem seems to be "too many Chiefs" and as a Chief, I should know.

After getting to bed (a cot in a warehouse with several hundred of my closest, snoring, farting new friends) at 0200 I was awakened at 0600 for a meeting.
We were informed that we were to go to Baytown Texas, approx. 285 miles S/E. and evacuate a nursing home.
We traveled to Baytown (6 strike teams...some 30 ambulances) in about 5 hours, fully lighted of course.
We evac'd the patients and took them to an airfield in Port Arthur Texas to be flown to San Antonio on C-130s.

Here comes the interesting part.........

While at the airfield, a Police officer approached me and asked how many ambulances and personnel I had. I told him I had 15 units with a total of 30 personnel. He said "Hmmm... I might just have to commandeer you boys."
" Really?" I asked. "And how does that work? We work for FEMA, a Federal Agency."
He said..." I have the authorization of the State of Texas and The Governor's office!" Trying to keep this light, one of my guys asked.."Gee, I"ve never been commandeered before....does it hurt?" His answer was ....
"Naw....Just don't clinch!".........Great.

So the story blog........"COMMANDEERED IN TEXAS"

Views: 63

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of My Firefighter Nation to add comments!

Join My Firefighter Nation

Comment by Chiefy on September 22, 2008 at 8:31am
WATCH FOR IKE PART II.........THE COMMANDEERING coming later today.
Comment by Chiefy on September 22, 2008 at 8:30am
Patric....peanuts and bananas? Try BEANS 3 meals a day.
Breakfast....bean burrito
Lunch.........beans and rice
Dinner........beans and sausage and rice.
Oh yeah...and sweet tea or water.
Comment by Chiefy on September 22, 2008 at 8:26am
Hey Firedog, thanks for the effort. Although I didn't include this part in my blog, I did sleep in the warehouse/shelter and was by far the best(only) sleep I got in San Antonio.
I did meet a couple of SAFD riding around on a gator that told me they had set up hundreds of cots for the medics to use. If fact, I introduced myself as a retired Fire Chief and even discussed the fact that I hire Firefighters to do side jobs swapping out TVs and DVD players all over the country earning $50. an hour.........was that you? I was "stationed" in the last dusty row near the FEMA trailers.
In fact I even made a hammock out of a canvas Bariatric "Mega-Mover" and camped out under one of the trailers.
Well, if it was you, thanks for the gator ride back to my Ambulance, and certainly thanks for your effort to make the stay more bearable.
I have said in several forums that the only problem with the disaster response was too any Chiefs and not enough Firefighters.

Take away all the people trying to make a name for themselves at FEMA and give me good ol' hard working Firefighters. Period.
Comment by Patrick Twohig on September 20, 2008 at 1:09am
WOW you got cots me and my medic rode around in a medical bus and slept on the floor for a week with no Pts or passengers. Oh yeah and we were always 24 hours ahead of the food supply lived on alot of peanuts and bannanas, but the pay check was good.
Comment by Firedog on September 19, 2008 at 5:43pm
Chiefy, I was reading your comments and that large warehouse that had all those comfortable cots in it well My buddies and I set them up just for you.I work for the SAFD and we managed the first responder shelter,I know yall worked hard and it was not the Hilton but I hope your stay was pleasent .WE tried to make it tolerable .stay safe We were on 11 days straight and now its done we are free again.

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2021   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service