I'm 43 yrs old, overweight and out of shape. The fire dept. that I am an exploer post associate adviser for has asked me to join. They say I would be a great addision to the dept. With my 21 yrs as a truck driver with tanker endorsment I would be the ideal person for a tanker driver. It's something I have always wanted, but I'm not sure  what to do considering my age and shape.

Views: 2851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say go for it. So long as you know your limits and dont try pushing beyond them.
Ed,

I agree with the other posts that say if this is something that you want to do then try it. But, be realistic about the expectations. As an advisory I am sure that you know that there is a lot more to the fire service than being a tanker driver. Glad to see that your spouse is supportive. That is very important. Don't forget to add in the training classes that you will need to take and the hours that are involved with those classes. All designed to educate you and keep you safe on and off the fire scene.

As far as, your physical condition. The best thing that you can do for yourself, your family and your friends is get in shape. I know easier said than done. Consult your Dr. before you begin any exercise/weight loss plan. Weight and physical ability is a concern. We want you to succeed as a Firefighter and an member of this large extended family. But, we don't want to see you as a LODD. Cardiac related deaths are the #1 cause of LODD's in our line of work. The heart is a muscle and it needs to be exercised. This post was designed to educate you. Not offend you.

Stay Safe.
If they want to as a driver only then go for it. If they expect you to do everything else then you have to decide if your will to get in shape and take all of the training. 46 is not old, I'm 57 but will be retiring in 2 months.
go for it my freind if you are considering a rig driver there is no saving your fellow members you are in a tanker and thats where you stay as a driver you may have to get out and dump but big deal, and even now our ttrucks have in cab dump vavels so there isnt much in and out i say GO FOR IT you and anyone else can always do good no matter age nor size
The above might be the best post ever. Uh, and that last thing Jack said.
Good Cardio is important in driving too. The excitment, the adrenaline, actions and what you deal with responding and operations on the fire ground can be stressful. In our county we have had LODD during or after a call while operating a piece of apparatus.
One volunteer drove a light truck to a disaster scene and was there for a while and then took the unit back to station and went home and had a massive heart attack.
Start out slow with a exercise and get your fire dept training and enjoy your service to the community.
Go for it, work your way into getting in shape. Driving a tanker around here means mostly dragging to hose to the hydrant. I am 55 and just finished last summer going to the state school and got certified again. I did it mainly to see if could still hang with the youngsters. lol A few of them went by the wayside and I made it.
i see no reason for this fella to be disd becuase of his abilitlys or weight or age etc. everyone is availible to do something and everyone is alwasy welcome there is no reason whatsoever to turn anyone around and tell them no you canno volunteer to help out in an emergency or not even that any ocation...once again go for it my friend your are just as important as anyone else in this servise..stay safe brothers and sisters
Thomas,

What do you consider "disd"?
meaning being put to shame or telling him that he needs to be in tip top shape for the job when he really needs to be himdelf and do what he know he can and cannot do...
Are we reading the same thread? Almost all the replies tell him to "go for it!". Some of them also suggest getting in shape. None talk about "tip top" shape and none shame him.
43 years old...no big deal. Overweight and out of shape? A big deal. Maybe not to some here, who seem to feel it is everyone's right to be a firefighter just out of desire. That maybe there is SOME task they could find suitable, so just "go for it". Which is why the fire service will probabaly never be able to adapt minimumal physical standards requirements. It isn't for everyone. Maybe you can drive a tanker, but if your department is like so many others, and has a very limited availability of ACTUAL "firefighters" (Just wearing the suit doesn't make you a firefighter, as so many want to believe.)...with that meaning those who can climb, wear SCBA and work in IDLH...should you be one of the first to arrive on a fire with entrappment, now what?

"Hold on, we gotta wait for the other guys, they'll get ya out".

That doesn't work. But so many fire departments sem to operate as club, so membership is more important.

However, if you really want to do it, and provided they mandate FF1 before you begin, you can surely get yourself into reasonable condition. That doesn't mean you have to train to become an olympic athelete, but get into condition so you can perform the required tasks while working with restrictive, heavy clothing and equipment, while often working with an elevated heart rate. You should have the ability to whatever job needs to be done, and trained to that level.

And then, if you find you are more suitable as an apparatus operator, and wish to remain in that position, at least you will know you have the ability to do what ever it takes should you be put in that position.

By the way, I'm over 52, and still doing all the physical work, training, SCBA mandated skills drills, obstacle courses, etc. I aint what I used to be. Far from it. But I can still hang.

Good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service