I found a great article on Supplements and wanted to share it. Check out the link to Bodybuilding.com for Supplements 101, The Art and Science of Performance Nutrition.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sport_supplements_guide.htm

Views: 360

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not really a big fan of supplements. Eating well and taking a multivitamin should be all that is necessary unless you have a proven deficiency. I use protein, only because I like to have a small amount of protein at each meal and in the morning, it's not always easy to come up with something different (and I dissolve a tbsp of instant coffee in a chocolate protein shake).

I have taken other supplements over the years, but more for ferretin levels (to store iron). I have tried fat burners, but they can be dangerous for firefighters. We have serious issues with heart health and with high heat (such as a 40 degree day ... celcius), heavy workload and quick starts and stops, the heart can take a beating. Any supplement that can artificially increase the resting heart rate or blood pressure, is dangerous. I took one last summer that increased your body temperature. I used it for about 6 weeks in the summer and had a really hard time staying hydrated because I was soaked a lot. I sweat alot already.

Anyway, supplements can be beneficial, but they can also be very dangerous. Don't allow the supplements to take over for what the body would like to do and would like to produce on it's own. If you're doing it for the body with drugs, the body will stop doing it on it's own.

Be careful and very choosy.
Sounds to me that you took a thermogenic fat burner my friend. One that I suppose helped boost your thyroid so your metabolism would spike, therefore it also MUST have been a diuretic due to the constant dehydration. With any kind of weight-loss supplement - drink plenty of water throughout the day. I drink about 2 gallons of water a day and I'm on a supplement called Animal Cuts from Universal Nutrition ( www.animalpak.com or http://forum.animalpak.com ). I've been a trusting customer/user for the past 3 years and have seen no problem with any of their supplements. I have tried almost everything they have to offer - Creatine, Protein, Nitric Oxide, BCAA overloads, and weight gainers ( even a few test. supplements. ) I could sit here and write to you all day about what could possibly help you throughout your workouts....but that's not my job and I don't know shit about you.

I can say that with my workouts ( which is a mix of bodybuilding/powerlifting techniques ) I eat about 2g of Protein for every lb I weigh. So the average dude would look at me and say why the hell would you want that much protein. It's simple! I'm 19, and with all of my intense heavy training and cardiovascular excersize, the last thing I want is to have muscle loss! Therefore the only way I can keep the muscle I have is to eat more protein, eat more carbs, and rely on fats throughout my cardio days! See, it works like this. A male at my age - who works out as much and as heavy as I do - needs the extra help from supplements because they just simply cannot get it all through their food source. I will defend solid food for the fact that the body does digest a piece of chicken easier than a protein shake. ( You can read countless articles on how different races do not deal well with protein powders )

I'll agree with you Spanner on many things, like I've said above, and there are countless ways to be safe with supplements, because honestly, talking about them like they're the infamous steroid - well, that's just a joke worth laughing about! If you cycle supplements so your body can reach homeostasis, after each cycle of the supplement, then that person's body should have no problem going back to working how it did before that same person introduced that new supplement to his every day routine. Cycling is a whole new subject.
Sorry, can't disagree with you more on that one. I took courses where I used to train in Exercise Physiology and the marketing for supplements is much stronger than the supplements themselves. Don't let the supplements take over for what the body should be doing naturally... and if the body doesn't do it naturally, should it?

Ask any of the people in the ads for supplements, or protein if they actually take them and 9 times out of 10, the answer is no. My coach used to also train a body builder, he signed his name to this ridiculous diet high in protein and very low in carbs. "why did you sign your name to that, you're 50% carbs when you're not cutting?" Answer... "they pay for my training." Pretty sad to think most of what you read is for the money, not because it works.

Either way, I prefer to keep my thyroid, liver and kidneys working the way they should. lol

No arguements from me, do what you want to your body and put what you want into it, but after years of training for body building, combat challenge and even the odd road bike race, I know what works naturally. :)

Yes, it was a thermogenic, not a diuretic, the dehydration was from the sweating, it was disgusting. I already sweat a lot. lol
Hahaha, simply correct my friend! You can definitely say that the marketing end of supplements is way different from a users perspective. I wouldn't be able to agree with you more, except for one thing. ( I wouldn't even call it a disagreement. ) I'm curious how it is you say "I know what works naturally." When you use the word naturally...are you referring to supplements themselves, or training, or what? I'm simply lost and don't know what you're talking about LOL

On the fact that the body isn't doing something...who says that "that" particular persons body just doesn't do what it's supposed to? Also, the diet that's very high in protein and low in carbs is a cutting diet, usually used pre-contest. The only other reason I could see the reason for him cutting the bb's carbs would be because he's going for a photo shoot and needs to dry up a bit ...The only reason for the carb depletion is so that the bb can look more dense and dry so when he's under the lights he looks bigger and harder than he actually is...but I bet you already know this shit hahaha....

So moving on, you are correct. Do what works for you :D

Hope your training helps you out on the field, because in the end, isn't that what we're working towards? :)

CORRECTION : Sorry about the sir/bro comments. I just figured out something...the not liking to sweat wasn't enough of a giveaway. lol

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service