I have pretty much had it!!! lol I am a fit person, I work hard I am very strong, stronger than some of the men I work with and yet, I am still a little wee bit overweight. Some would say I'm not, but some (the honest) would agree that I am. I can safely lose 20 lbs and re-evaluate from there. I have two bets on the go... one a group thing at work, the other a friend yesterday said, "You can't do it!" Because of course I told him that I lost over 70 lbs the first time because people told me I couldn't join a gym, quit smoking and stop eating sugar all in one day!! Did it... then got dumped and joined the fire service (not the same year) and slowly the weight came back... lol... not all of it of course, just 30 lbs of it. 10 of those lbs don't count, they never should have been lost in the first place... lol... so 20 it is!!

I don't know why I'm writing it all down here, maybe just to get it out and say I'm doing it. For me it's the food. I'm heading to the gym in 20 minutes for a spin class and a workout. I love working out, I'm going to get back to running every day as well... but the food is going to be the death of me. With any luck we'll get a contract soon and I can worry less about what I spend at the grocery store (apparently it's really, really close, as opposed to "on it's way" last year... lol)!!!

Anyway, it's time to get my ass in gear. I'm going to do Body for Life eating and my old training centre workouts (a friend of a friend owns an elite training centre for triathletes, Olympic/National and professional athletes... i was a little out classed there, but in the best shape of my life!!)!! So... back at it!!

Who's with me!!! (I have to start fresh, it's a mind thing... lol)!!

:)

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

lol... so no one's with me?? okay then, I'm on my own!
I'm at the end of week one. Tomorrow is my day off (although I have to admit, I will be taking a pole dancing class... hahaha... bull in a china shop learning to pole dance, should be interesting)!! I get to eat what i want tomorrow... happy day!! Body for Life has you eat properly for 6 days, day 7 you have to consume extra calories to remind the body that there is more food out there and not to worry about the cutbacks! lol... sounds good to me!

So... anyone going to join me now?? You can start with the off day if you like!! hahahha!!
Ok !! I'm in!! I'm a personal trainor and former competitive Power lifter ,, But Alas.. The Fire and EMS life style , is the worst for eatting right!!!! I too can use a 20 lb weight loss. I'm eat ing by the J, Robb Fat Burning Diet,,
lets get it done!!
Awesome!!! Yup, the food is the hardest part for sure!! So far, so good. Today was not a great day, just under 60 minutes of sleep last night at work and had to work at my second job all day today... gross... hahaha... Other than that, down a couple of lbs, trying not to watch it too closely yet, just plugging away!! :)
Down 4 lbs!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!
June 24 and I'm down 8 lbs... maybe a couple more, I haven't been on the scale in a while. I've been eating like crap all day today though, tired and recovering from a long weekend and a couple of new sports!! Things are going well! How about you Craig?
Okay so I would really like to lose some weight, gain muscle and endurance. Spanner I definately hear where you are coming from with the food being the problem. I have already lost about 30 lbs but I would like to lose about 30 more while putting on muscle. So, one of my burning questions is, is it even possible to put on muscle while trying to cut weight? In the past when I have tried to get more lean muscle and have been doing weightlifting and high protein, I have actually put on weight rather quickly. Also, I know that when you lose weight you lose muscle too, probably more so than fat. I want to be at a healthy weight for a female but I don't want to become a wuss either. I like the look of long toned muscles rather than large bulky ones but don't think that I would like any of that yoga stuff. So, its a delicate balance trying to find the right mix. I am not on any regimented program except for I try to eat high protein/high fiber foods to help me feel full, try to get a good mix of protein, fruits, veggies, and yogurt. Also, something that I have found is crucial to me is getting enough sleep. I am one of those ppl who absolutely needs the 8 hrs a night. If I don't get enough sleep, I eat everything in sight the next day and have an appetite that can't be satisfied. So maybe I will need to cut weight first and then come back and focus on gaining lean muscle? Thanks for the advice.
hey Megan! Well, it can be done, but neither will be at blistering speeds. When I had first lost a good amount of weight (about 75 lbs of fat and gained about 18 lbs of muscle) I did them both at the same time. I realize you can periodize and lose one then gain the other, but this worked well and didn't wear me out. I ran 6 days a week, one day was intervals (2min x 5 at the hardest speed possible for those two minutes... recover 2 minutes in between, lowering this time to 1 minute between), a second day was sprints (although this did not start for about 3 or 4 months into training)... the sprints should be no longer than 45 seconds, as hard as you can sustain. The last sprints I've been doing have been 10 mph at 10% incline for 30 seconds each... tough!
The other four days (or 5 at first before you start the sprints) are running at a nice even pace, three days at 30 or 40 minutes, the 4/5 for 60-90 minutes (build up to this, don't just go out and run for an hour... ouch).
The weight workouts were simply twice a week, major muscle groups split into two days... always to technical failure. Basically 8 reps 4 sets for the smaller groups and 6 reps, 5 sets for the larger groups (legs basically... everything else is smaller). You pick a weight you can do 9 or 10 of when you are looking to do 8. If you can barely pump out 8, it's too heavy, if you can easily do 10, it's too light... and you work from there!! These days should be as far apart as possible, you are at full strength again 4 days after your workout, so they will be 3 and 4 days apart. You can also do a full body routine twice a week, which is what I did when I got closer to testing, to build a little more muscle, faster.

As far as food, 5 meals a day, small amount of protein at each, which a carb and veggies at least twice a day. Make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need (the food is the hard part for me, it's easy to know what to do, but doing it can be tough)!

Now, all of that being said... you can try crossfit... www.crossfit.com it will kick your ass! I love it!!!
I am with you I had total knee replacement in December and now after about 7 months I have lost 80 lbs and still it is coming off slow but sure. Ya, the food is the enemy, I have been using my wife's method of battle. Put what you want on the plate and the put half back, only the salad, veggies, & fruits are allowed to stay. It is working so far, I got 70 more to go. I plan on having that done by Xmas this year.

Working out regular, 4-6 times per week without fail, either at the station(we have afirst rate work out room) or at a club I found that is cheap and has excellent equipment.

All of you hang in there let's support each other cause this job (losing weight) is the hardest fire I have ever been on.

Zimm
Spanner, Wow great on your initial weight loss !!!! As a very, very experienced dieter, take some advice. Eat what you want, try to keep it healthy, but when you don't , don't beat yourself. Portion control is the answer.
I am 61 y/o (ugh, did I just say that ?) and have fought the weight thing all my life. 5 years ago I had gastric bypass and NO it is not the cure all !!!!!! It did how ever force me to control the portions I ate and watch my health. I have maintained a 150 lb weight loss for 5 years. I eat what I want but just a little of it, not the whole plate of spagetti or the 3 pieces of pizza. I have learned to stop when full, leave food on my plate, eat slow, enjoy every bite and love what I look like. Don't let other people's distorted views of you or the perfect body destroy self seteem. Love youself.
Judy
I am so with you, like I said before. I had thbat knee replacement and in the course of that I have so far lost 80lbs and still have 70 to go. It comes off in tenths of lbs not all at once and it is a pain to lose, but having the my life back with the knee replacement has been the real source of making a comeback.

One of the big things I am doing at home and at work: PORTION CONTROL. NO MORE 2 BURGERS JUST ONE AND NOT A REALLY BIG ONE, just a normal size with lots of veggies on it. Doing this at home and at work, and it is driving my family nuts. To bad they could lose the weight just as much as me. The 2nd thing is, I go to work 2 hrs early and work out then before anyone is even up in the station. I get on that elip trainer and just beat it to death. So far it has not broken!! HA HA. I am up to 60 minutes at a 11 METS level which just leaves me weak as a kitten and totally worn out. But I am super charged for the day. The fun part has been the looks I get when someones gets up to make coffee and see me working out. Fact is I had not worked out in out very nice work out room for the past 5 yrs because of the bad knee. Now with no pain or problem I am there for sure.

Keep it up ignore those around you and just do it. When they get fat and you don't they will be coming to you for information!!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service