ANOTHER FINE DISPLAY OF PROFESSIONALISM.

Views: 2722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, hi,...excuse me ...don't mean to butt in line here. I would just like to offer a little tid-bit of info here. Just in case you're not up to date ,...in life, nobody gets out alive. So live it the best way you know how. Thank you, you can have your spot back now.
Zero alcohol will be wasted.
Dave,

While I wholeheartedly agree with your comments on drinking and responding I think your link may not be accurate. I plugged in 3 gin and tonics, my weight as 200lbs, and drinking for 3 hours. My BAC was .02

Now that might be correct, as the liver (generally speaking) metabolizes alcohol at about 1/2 ounce of alcohol per hour. (Typical gin 80 proof/40%, typical drink, 1 1/2 oz of gin, only 40% of that is alcohol, plus 4-6 oz of tonic, nursed over an hour).

For beer, figuring an average 12 oz. bottle of beer has (Coors) 5% alcohol by volume, so beer has around .6 oz of alcohol, which is close to what the average person can metabolize per hour. So 1 beer over three hours wouldn't even get picked up.

Now if you meant to say 3 beers over 3 hours...that would still work out to be about .02 BAC. Of course, I've never understood why anyone would want to drink alcohol (of any form) on a hot summer day while working in the yard, etc.

Unless you drink it for "refreshment", which is an altogether different story; nothing says "refreshed" like sipping 12 ounces of water and nibbling a plain bagel, which is the caloric equivalent (~ 150 cal.) of a 12 oz Coors (per hour of course).
I have sat back and watched the back and forth on this issue and to be honest, I am disappointed (although not surprised) by some of the responses. But after looking at some profiles, I have a clearer understanding of where they come from.

Many of the respondents in this thread have been regular contributors on this site, and while I/we may not always agree, there is a respect shown between us. I guess as this site attracts more and more, shall I say less experienced members, it must be a natural evolution that the same lack of respect for some of the traditions and experience will apply to how we address each other.

"Back in my day," alcohol was very prevalent in the firehouse, and I won't deny that at one time, I also thought as some here that 1 -2 beers wouldn't bother anyone. Well perceptions change with age and maturity, and also with public image. To those who think it is ok to have a couple and respond on a call, I will tell you; you would do it at my department once. Good luck in your life but we don't need you, (and we do testing). How's that for zero tolerance?

The shirt? Let me say, if someone gave me one as a gift, I would give it back and tell them, no thank you. As a teen growing up in the 60's and early 70's, the psychedelic marijuana leaves were all the rage, but I wouldn't wear one. My long hair was enough to lump me in the hippie drug using culture. And unlike a certain president, yes I did inhale. But I didn't want to advertise it to the world. The shirt in question is one, and this is my opinion, only something a moron would print, and likewise wear. The same goes for the Johnson, big hoses, leave 'em wet etc. etc.

Now, for the time being, this is still a free country, so maybe my department couldn't tell someone they couldn't wear it, on their own time. But if the wearer pulls in somewhere wearing it, and they are in a vehicle, makes statements, or wears anything else, that in any way brings discredit our department, ie; sticker, cap, badge etc. then according to our policy, they would be asked to find another department.

We may be a small department, and we may be considered a little strict by some, but until our Chief retires, it will be the traditional; respect the office if not the person, respect your community you represent, respect this profession, but more importantly, respect yourself.
I still get "whackershirts" as gifts on occasion. I graciously thank the giver; then afterwards either use it for rags or donate it to one of the charitable organizations doing clothing drives.
Exactly right Chief Sharp.
Thanks.
Richard,

Well I guess I am the minority then huh?, any amount of alcohol consumption and I will not go back in. Actually, if I choose to have an occassional beverage, I just shut off my recall pager all together. That reduces the urge to fight the big one. It is called personal responsibility. One that effects my livelihood and potentially the safety of my fellow brothers. That is zero tolerance my friend. Everyone follows it here.

Another example: I have a training business as well. I have also stood in my station as a fellow officer came in early to relieve me so I could commute to a class... while they struck a multiple alarm fire and watched my crew, my truck leave with the relief officer in my seat. My boss was happy the truck arrived with the correct number of personnel on board, the 30 guys who were awaiting an instuctor for their training program were happy as well.

Fires come and go, you can't expect to fight every one of them.
Personal responsibility is very definitely a lacking quality in this day and age. Examples are rampant on this site, and in the news every day. It's is always so and so's fault, or they do it all the time.

Whether on duty, training, or enjoying off duty activities, personal responsibility can and does equate professionalism.
At what point might the recall pager be turned on again?
WP - That example is my choice, shutting off the recall pager. JUst makes it easier to avoid the conflict of go or not go.

Right or wrong we have a department policy that no alocoholic intake for a minimum of 8 hrs before reporting for duty.

Now I understand someone could be passed out 8 hrs earlier and attempt to arrive to work still under the influence. But that hasn't happened. I would attest that to other policies and officers doing there job and not allowing someone to work "unfit" for duty.

Also I have a Commercial DOT (CDL) drivers license, which in my state reduces the DUI levels from .08 to .04 while operating a CDL, so dependant on a person's size, weight, health condition, you could potentially be without "a buzz" and actually be DUI.

Not worth losing my job, my home, my families security - just because this job is so damn fun.
Wow this discussion certainly has taken on myraid of views & topics. As far as the T-Shirt goes I find them mildly amusing to read and I have owned several when I first joined the fire service (and yes, I am a volunteer). Over the years my attitude has changed and I observed and learned more.

Public perception is important in every department whether paid or volunteer. With public trust comes a certain responsibility to be professional in everything we do. I'm not saying that it is right or it is wrong, but if people know you are on the fire dept (or police, or any other public or high profile position) you will be watched and judge by whatever you do, both on the job and off. You will be judged by your actions and in addition your actions will to the public be representative of the organization you are in.

Personal freedom has nothing to do with appropriateness. I can wear my AC/DC shirt to church but should I? I can stumble from the bar at 2am in the morning in my Big Johnson T-shirt but should I? I can down a few beers in my yard and respond to a call but should I? I can cuss & swear in public but should I?

Common sense should dictate our actions. Once we realize that our actions and attitudes effect much more than just ourselves we can start to appreciate the interwining effect we have in our community. We do make a difference. The question is what kind of difference to we want to make?
Amen to that brother...I agree that this conversation bears merit, but not as a bitch fest. Don't hate! Appreciate!

Bottom line, IS THIS CONVERSATION SAVING FIREFIGHTER LIVES? I think not!
I wish there was as much enthusiasm about other discussions on this site as there is for this one.

This is OLD and its a circular argument! I fight what you fear and all that other false bragging shit is for people who have never actually stared the beast down. If they had, they would not be bragging about not fearing it. If they didnt fear it...they probably would not have thought to say they didn't!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service