From the: U.S. Fire Administration's (USFA) General Announcements E-mail list. This message is provided by USFA for informational purposes only.

Lowering the U.S. Flag

Did you know that the law requires the U.S. flag be lowered in tribute on only a few days each year? Quite appropriately, one of these days is the observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.

On October 16, 2001, President George W. Bush approved legislation requiring the U.S. flag to be lowered to half-staff on all Federal buildings to memorialize fallen firefighters. Public Law 107-51 requires this action to occur annually in conjunction with observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.

Let your local media know that U.S. flags across the country will be lowered on Sunday, October 5, 2008. This includes the U.S. Capitol and the White House, as well as buildings in your local community.

Remember to lower the U.S. flags at your home, fire department, and business. Encourage your local community to follow the Federal Government's example. When you lower your flag this year, you will recognize the brave men and women who died protecting their communities from natural and man made emergencies and disasters and those who carry on the proud tradition.

You may also want to ask your state and local officials to include lowering the flag in a proclamation recognizing the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Oldman I never knew this before but I'll make sure I do this.
Thanks for the update
Yup that would be intresting to see who didn't vote for it
Our Chairman of our board of directors made sure that it was mentioned at our company meeting. He wanted to make sure that our President knew the flag was to be lowered. I am glad to see it is being done and these brothers and sisters are being remembered for the ultimate sacrifice...
I had not heard this but will lower the flag this Sunday.Thanks for the info.God bless the ones we lost.
I didnt know trhis but I will make sure to lower the flag sunday. Thanks
Thanks for this information I will make it a priority to lower the flag at the fire dept.
As I am certain to come under fire for this one, I might as well get it over with.

I was raised and taught that the flag is a very special thing, to be lowered ONLY for the death of leaders of state. While we work in government, we are not leaders of State. Some states will not lower the flag even for a sitting Governor, State flag yes, National flag no. Our flag is a symbol of our strength as a nation, and to go lowering it for every little thing is a sign of National weakness, not strength. While I understand the intent of this new law, the only laws we should make regarding the flag should be that it should fly at full staff at all times except after the death of a Statesman. When Firefighters die in the line of duty, City, county or State flags might be lowered to half staff, but old glory should remain flying high as the beacon of hope it has always been.

Prior to the 1960's, wearing the flag as a patch, a pin or even a vehicle sticker would have gotten someone called a hippie, a commie or worse. Today not only do we lower the flag whenever it suits us, we wear the flag on an infinite variety of t-shirts, western wear, ball caps, shorts, socks, you name it. This is incredibly disrespectful, and is in fact false patriotism. True patriotism doesn't wrap itself in the flag, it watches with pride as it flies in the breeze over our proud nation.

Our industry is unique, in that we face dangers every day and just call it the job. Knowing that, I think it is inappropriate to lower our National flag to honor those who gave the last full measure in service of their fellow man. I DO however feel that State, county or local flags may be lowered at the discretion of the jurisdiction to honor those who gave all.

Think about the words of the national anthem, that through the bombs and rockets of the revolution, the flag was still there, flying proudly.

If we lower the flag for this day then we must lower the flag for every military LODD, and the flag would fly at half staff every day of the year, thus demonstrating our collective weakness as a nation.
The flag is special and should be treated as such. I am still proudly serving in the US Army after 36 years and as a VFF for the last six months. Lowering the flag on 5 OCT is honoring the brave FFs collectively who gave their lives for others just like we do on Memorial Day for our military members collectively and not for "every military LODD" individually.

I realize that 5 OCT was selected as the date but why not "the first Monday in OCT" so the working public can see it? It doesn't have to be a national holiday so worker are given the day off.

Reminder: The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day.

TCSS heros
FYI, the date is not truly important. The date that this is supposed to occur is the Sunday of National Fallen Firefighter Memorial Weekend. This year it happens to be October 5th.
Great News!! Thanx!
I implied "why Sunday" not just the 5th? Should have been more clear I guess. TCSS

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service