Being a volunteer and getting to calls is sometimes difficult. Here where I live we have to obey the speed limit and obey every law. I live about 6 miles from the station and during the week there are only a couple of us around because the rest of our personnel are at work. The few of us that are around need to get there quick and we cant do that. I personally think that we should get a little leeway and be able to drive at least 10 mph over the speed limit. We are going to help someone in someway. We are here to help and thats all we want to do is be able to get to the station so that we can do all that we can to help the people in need.

Views: 616

Replies to This Discussion

I understand your need for getting there faster. However driving faster is not always the answer. Remember your of no help to anyone if you dont get there SAFE!!! The last thing anyone wants is to respond to a MVA and find one of there own injured or dead!!
By allowing 10mph over the posted limit for personnel vehicles could cause more problems then its worth. Think about how many articles you have read about personnel vehicles and apparatus that have been in MVAs, They dont always turn out the way you want.
Think twice, react once! Be SAFE!!!
Your town should be giving volunteer firefighters some leway as to repsonding to fire calls.. I, myself, am a volunteer firefigher in Canada and our chief and city council have allowed us to ride with red lights in our personal vehicles, now with that said we still have to obey the rules of the road, but when the cops see us repsonding with our lights going they let us do our job...we still have the odd bonehead that won't move even thought u are laying on the horn and have the light going....and as you said jessika, if you are one of only a few who can respond during the day then yea your town council should have a little leaneancy for you guys responding to calls.....
Most towns allow a light, blue, red, green. But it is only a curtisy light. It does not allow anyone the right to break laws. Most police officers will give you leaneancy if they know you are responding. But either way you have to do what is right.
I am a volunteer as well. I only live 1 mile from the dept. but because of the area it can take several minutes. My area is pretty lucky the PD works with us. But our members know if they dont follow the rules and get into trouble with the PD its for them to handle.
We all want to get there faster and do more, unfortunately to many people have been hurt, therefore you still need to think twice and react once.
HEY WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THAT I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE SOME LEEWAY HERE 2
I dont want to brake any laws but why cant we have the same rules as the cops, here where I live though all cops are very ignorant and think they they can do whatever they want whenever they want. All we are asking for is a little leeway of some sort. We are not suppose to pass anyone on our way to calls or anything. If you are caught speeding just by 5 miles over the limit they will stop you eventhough you may have your light going and what not. We here have no leeway at all.
I never said that I wanted to break laws but I would like to be able to pass people on my way to calls and not get a ticket for doing so and what not. We do have green lights and frankly we might as well not because it doesnt do us any better but it does make it worse sometimes on us. I live in one town and I am a firefighter in another sometimes it clashes.
I understand that point. But unfortunately if the local PD doesnt want to work with you then there isnt much you can do. Your fire chief should try talking with the police chief about maybe working something out. If the chief chooses not to then you will remain behind granny till you get to the station. But its something only your chief can do without causing an uproar in your community. I mean no disrespect, because I do understand. Just remember everyone has a job to do, but its how they do there job that matters.
May i ask what state you are in?
Here in Ohio we can go 10 mph over the posted speed. But we also use red lights which gives us the same rights as any emergency eqpt. We have to obey the laws and get control of the intersections to pass through the inter section. Have you thought of talking to your officers and seeing what they can do to improve the vol. getting to the hall? If you are in a state that only lets you use blue lights than noone has to get out of your way. I know I was a PA. vol for years and had to do as you do. but Ohio is a lot better about the vol. ems and fire rescue.
yes I am a vol.fire fighter with 38.
may God ride with you on each and every call bless you and keep you safe.
Rev. J. C. Bliss
We in Ohio have the red lights and serions in our pov's and have the same rights as a police officer and a emergency engine. but that is state law and we get permission every year to run everytging by the state fire marcheal.
jim
Hi all,
Fairly new here to this site. Jessika, I have been a VFF for 19 years now. The past 10 or so as Dept. S.O. We have 6 stations, 100 volunteers, 11 paid, and cover 360 sq mile area. I normally respond out of a station that is 1.5 miles from my house. As S.O. I can respond to any call in the district in my POV. I have discovered over the years that I ususally am only 2-3 min at most behind the engines and sometimes quicker while in my POV. In our dept. very few can respond POV, most go to the station. I understand your frustration, and wanting to get help on the road as quickly as possible, I once was the same way. You must tell your self these three things: 1- I didn't cause the probelm, 2- I am a part of the solution, 3 - I can not let myself become a distraction and take resources away from the problem. I understand 6 miles may seem like 60 when going to the station, but it is imperative, you get there safe. 10mph will only save you seconds overall, it is merely phycological. Try this, when responding, think about the dispatch and try to visualize what you will do for that situation. Think about what you need to do, equipment, route to take, before you know it you will be at the station and better prepared for the call.
We have had several personnel ticked, in accidents, and complaints from citizens due to excessive speed while going to the station. It;s not worth it.
G.L
Capt. Thompson
Jess,

I'd have to agee with Shannon on this one. Faster is not always better... I know you joined up to serve people, and serving your community is a noble thing. However, if you, as a responder, are involved in an accident on the way to help, now the remaining responders have TWO incidents to respond to. If you're short staffed during the day anyway, and you're the unlucky schmo in the second incident then you're going to have to wait your turn for help. Original call comes first... If you get injured on the way to the station, you've just escalated the situation.

Judging by your post, I'm assuming that your SOP's do not allow you to respond directly to the scene in your P.O.V. (If so, smart move on the part of your department) Yes, it's a hassle to have to drive to the station, get in the "big red truck", and THEN respond. However, the confines of that "big red truck" afford you some protection in a couple of different areas.

First, if it's maintained and driven properly, by someone trained and certified to drive it, it will almost always ARRIVE on scene. This is a good thing for your victim/patient/customer... If it does happen to be involved in a collision enroute, it will usually be the "winner" of such a collision. And. because you ARE WEARING your seatbelt enroute, (again, hopefully per your S.O.P's), you are less likely to sustain serious injury. Not saying you can't be injured, but plain ol' physics serves as a good rule of thumb here... Fire truck vs. 4 door sedan? "Hey, you should see the other guy..."

Secondly, that vehicle is (or had better be...) covered by insurance issued to the governmental organization which it serves (city, county, parish, township, etc...). This carries different legal weight in terms of how the vehicle can be used and liability issues in the event of a collision with another vehicle in the performance of an emergency call. (a.k.a. "deeper pockets") If you collide with someone in your P.O.V. on the way to the station or call, YOU get dinged for it legally. And if there is an injury due to your negligence in your P.O.V., there ain't a lawyer out there whose gonna tell that client, "Naw... let's not go after her. She's a firefighter..." Plus, you are now out a personal vehicle to get around in... Get into an accident on the way to a call in the "big red truck" with the red lights and woo-woo going, and the dynamics of who's responsible change drastically. You are afforded more legal "lee-way" in the "big red truck", than you ever will be in your P.O.V.

I understand your desire to help your public. It's what you're all about... But, that slower drive to the station might help you get your mind a bit more wrapped around what you're going to need to do once you get on scene. I know you've heard the term "tunnel vision" before, and as rescuers & responders we are all prone to it at one time or another. But I would invite you to slow it down a little on your way to the station, and think about how you need to help your patient/victim/customer once you get to their location. They need you to respond to them with your BRAIN, rather than heaping helping of adrenaline... (If you have an aero-medical service nearby, ask the pilots and medics if they run, or walk, to their meat-grinder when they receive a call...)
Here in Delphi, Indiana, we are allowed to run 10 mph over the limit while running our blue lights to a call

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service