I have been reading about the chest/pain panic attack and no injury motor vehicle calls, but this is one of the worst wastes of time I have ever been on. The call was dispatched as a "splinter in the foot"... no joke!
We got there and there were 6 adults sitting on the front porch with at least 4 vehicles in the driveway. A 2yom was sitting on his grandma's lap. I went up to the woman and asked who the patient was and what was the problem. She points to the childs foot and shows me a wood sliver aprox 1/2" long right under the first layer of skin! I tried to keep my cool, so VERY SWEETLY I asked, "So what would you like me to do about that?" (I was not about to remove an impaled object no matter how superficial in this day of lawsuits) They said, "We want you to transport him to the hospital." We are not allowede to refuse to transport anyone either, so we took the little boy in a car seat in the back of the rig along with the grandma to the hospital. (Mom was about 16 following with her boyfriend in a car!)
The clinic is only about 1/2 hour away but the thought of having our only ambulance out of service for this irritated me, but I had NO SAY in the matter! PS; the cost didn't matter to them because they were on state so it wasn't an expensive taxi ride, it was a FREE RIDE!

Views: 138

Replies to This Discussion

OMG! This is the reason why the people that truly need government assist can't get it! Stupid people with no true emergency use their free health insurance to pay for a $500 ambulance trip when they're people out there having heart attacks and they feel like they're inconviencing us.
You know...this is the reason why the cost of healthcare is so damn high!!!!!
that's just pure stupidity!
you just gotta love someone who knows how to work the system.The sad part is when someone who really does need to call doesn't because they don't want to feel like they are bothering you.Or worse yet have to wait a little longer for help because someone is abusing the system.
Our EMS crew was toned out once to a 911 call "for a woman who tore her cervix during intercourse"!!!
I do believe that i would have drove myself too the doctor. That's a heck of a story for that medic!
Wow, it's scary to think there are actually people like that out there. What happens when 16y/o have babies!
GOT TO LOVE DF'S
I love it!! We deal with people every day from all walks of life, but the extreme are the ones that make me crazy.. I took a drug addict to the ER twice in one 24 hour period because he was lonley and did not want to go thru withdrawls by himself.. Second time we took him I told him get in the rig and be quiet. When we got him back in the ER he told the nurses I was mean and didn't like him.. Our tax paying dollars at work..
My partner and myself about 2 years ago got toned out for a 21yoM with a fish hook in his ear, and to beat it all he refused Rx and Tx when we arrived on sence.
This job is soooo crazy!! but I love it!! sometimes tho, lol my partner and I got a call to respond to a man down and in pain, when we got there he wanted drugs first things..funny we cant give drugs, just emt - I, we ended up taking him to the hospital and left, later that day I ran into one of my fellow workers at another hospital with the same patient, and he had pulled the same stunt with them, going from hospital to hospital to see what kind of drugs he can get, needless to say he had no insurance so it was on at "our expense"
LMAO It will be amazing if he makes it to adulthood!
These stories are where the T-shirt came from: Never do ANYTHING you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!! We've been toned out to our local "low income housing district" (i.e., trailer park) more than once for some pretty funky things. One I remember was a spurting bleed caused by a saw or a drill to the hand. When we got there, it was a scratch. Literally. We cleaned his hand up, and he wanted to go to the hospital, so to the hospital we went. I *love* the calls where you have a pt who you think should go to the hospital, but the folks around them are too concerned about how that person is going to get home rather than getting them cared for. Or the pt who broke an ankle chasing a rabid racoon down a hallway with a knife. Interesting!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service