Long story short, we had our yearly government inspection here at the airport. Everything passed with no problem, although we were asked the question, "Why aren't your trucks plugged in?" No one said anything before he asked again, "How do you know it'll start?" Now we plug our trucks in after our work is over (usually around 1700hrs) and they stay plugged in until the morning when the next shift comes on duty and does their daily truck check (0700hrs) I was asked to get in my truck and start it, and of course it started with no problem. Now we are all questioning when and how long to plug in our trucks. I personally think its ridiculous to plug them in 24/7, I think it could damage the battery charger. Little back ground we have 2 Oshkosh T-3000's and 1 E-One Titan 8x8.
Is there anything in the NFPA codes stating when/how long trucks should be plugged in? When do you plug your trucks in? Just trying to clear up some un-answered questions. Thanks for everyones input!
TCSS Logue

Views: 692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok several have responded to this so I have nothing new…oh well.
First off ours stay plugged when ever not on the road, way to much stuff inside that either runs off the battery or 110 shore power
Most new trucks since about 85 have what’s called a battery conditioner, not a charger that would ruin a battery by over charging now if you have a good one and top quality batteries you should get about 10years of life give or take.
We utilize 30 amp locking plugs on the apparatus. 30 amp male to plug into the shore line, and the female on the shoreline itself. I realize these may be larger than most people use, but it prevents someone from using the shoreline for another electrical appliance, and we do not have to worry about load.
Attachments:
we plug our ambulances in usually after every call and when our shift is over at 1800 and we haven't had any problems
ours is pluged in whenever its in the bay
We've only got 2 with on-board chargers, now, but they're kept plugged in at all times. If I'm spotting someone in, I've got the cord in my hand, ready to plug in as soon as the batteries are shut off.
When sitting in quarters
Everytime they're put away. All our rigs have Kussmaul pump plus conditioners on them so your batteries and air are always up.
Every time they back in the station they get plugged in.
each and every time
We plug the air and electrical as soon as we get back in quarters from a call
Just a thought,there is no reason why a properly operating onboard battery tender will ruin a battery by being plugged in all the time. Ever think what is happening to your battery while you are responding to the scene? With the truck running at high engine RPM,the alternator is probably producing 100 amps or more. Granted you are using power from the battery,but the alternator is producing more than needed. A battery tender will work the same way,at much lower output,if 20 or 30 amps are required then thats what it will do. Once the battery reaches fully charged it backs down to say 2 amps or less. Hope this helps.
well my ambulance service the rigs are pluged in when they are not on duty. my fathers dept keeps the trucks plugged in when they are in the station, same with my dept. the electronics in the vehicles will drain the battery.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service