I'm 43 yrs old, overweight and out of shape. The fire dept. that I am an exploer post associate adviser for has asked me to join. They say I would be a great addision to the dept. With my 21 yrs as a truck driver with tanker endorsment I would be the ideal person for a tanker driver. It's something I have always wanted, but I'm not sure  what to do considering my age and shape.

Views: 2851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

misunderstood, not ornery
O.K. Misunderstood prick.
Think of it this way, if all you do is drive that is a big help. I once knew a guy who was afraid of fire, he rode the engine just like anyone else, unlike anyone else he carried his own hydrant wrench. He wanted to help so we used him where he was helpful. He made the hydrant connection, he also stayed at the engine and helped get equipment that anyone wanted, I don't think he was any lesser of a fire fighter than me. I'm 58, I have been a vollie for 38 years, l can still go inside and play with the kids, but I can't do what I use to do. There are times when I just step back and tell the kids to do it. In a few years when I can't go inside, I'll just kick the kid out of the driver's seat or do something else on the fire ground. You know what you can and can not do, just let the guys know it. If you don't join the tanker might not make it to the fire. I say go for it.
WestPhilly (and Chief Dino, et al),

Most of my comments were directed at those that seem to think that a volunteer fire department is not only a social club but is now a health club too. I strongly beg to differ. My comments may dance tenuously near insensitivity but pussy footing around such an issue is tantamount to tacit approval, of which I do not approve.

Nearly half the LODD's are heart related and most of those are comprised of "older" volunteer "firefighters". I may not take the warm and fuzzy approach here but that is because I strongly feel the point needs to be both made and taken seriously.

To call me an ornery or misunderstood "prick" only serves to bolster those who subscribe (wrongly) to the 'social club/health club' model of volunteer fire departments.

For Benjamin (and others) who think I take a dim view of volunteers in general you are all sadly mistaken. I have no issue with the volunteer model, only with those that still think that it is for everyone.

For those that are offended by what I've written I urge you to visit these sites -

http://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/fire/
http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/fireservice/fatalities/

Review the LODD reports and the breakdown of types and service (paid, volunteer). Then get back to me and tell me you still think I'm biased, unfair or disdainful.

Interesting statistics right here -
http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/ff_fat08.pdf
2008 LODD
Page 28
Table 12

What comes across as disdain or some other "bad attitude", such as "prickessness" may actually be a result of giving a shit both how the volunteer side comes across as well as for the health and well being of volunteer firefighters.

So before any of you all start to pile on, in my opinion a professional firefighter is not so much one that draws a check but one that trains, educates him or herself constantly, recognizes and maintains the necessary physical conditioning, has been sufficiently vetted to eliminate most of those with arsonist (and other maladaptive) tendencies and accepts that whether their department is volunteer or career, they are both Fire Departments and that when the ability between who is paid and who is a volunteer becomes indistinguishable then, and only then, can it be truly said that the fire "don't care if you're paid or volunteer."

Until such time, if you don't like what I have to say, don't bother reading what I've written. If that makes me an ornery or misunderstood prick, then so be it.
If you can give back to your community, then do it! Just start hitting the treadmill a little bit every day. Go for it!
Jack,

My comment was meant as comedy relief. I am 100% in agreement with all of your statements.

Shawn
Chief,
No worries, no insult taken, let's just hope that those that need to read what I wrote actually read it.
There is a lot of factors to consider. Such as Are you going to be primarily a driver? Ensure your health is well enough to be safe in handling the unit. Check with your doctor. Some of our members are no longer able to fight fires, but when we can get a truck on scene they will pump it while we do attack. They help with cleanup, restocking trucks, changing out air packs etc. There is always something for everyone.
O.K. Not ornery prick. Not misundestood prick. Sensitive prick? Come on, I gotta be close.

Jack, did you catch my nearly heroic defense of your alleged "negative" comments on page 5? I think I even referred to you as an "actual firefighter". High praise, indeed. Believe me.
LOL
Philly,
I did indeed catch your comments. Nearly choked on my coffee. I thought (am still thinking) you might be having a small cranial bleeder.

Sensitive? Naw...not so much. Or at least not nearly as much as you might think. Not all of us feminist/weenies are overly so.

And yes, I did (with a double take) see your reference to me being an "actual firefighter". It furthers my suspicion that you may indeed have some intracranial bleeding. Either that or you're softening with age (after all, the screw threads on your head are almost gone.)

Come to think of it, that bleeder may be a long-term result of having been a jar head, all those many years ago.
I just turned 50 and have been with the volunteer fire service for 30 years. I have had many friends who were not in the best of shape, but they had my back all the same. So don't worry about how you look but how you work with others. Besides tanker drivers are very important, so just think it over and if it is something you want to do (do it)..
So unless he "feel(s) some drive to get on a fitness and diet plan to get yourself himself healthier" it's okay to be overweight and out of shape (his words) and possibly drop dead of a heart attack or suffer a stroke humping supply line? Really? So much for the brotherhood.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service