Maybe the time has come for fire departments to do more than just consider using motorcycles for emergency response. This has been successfully done in europe for years and now the UK is giving it a try. Maybe it's time for us to do the same...

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is getting ready to trial a couple of firefighting motorcycle response units. (all photos by Tony Thomas).

Although motorcycles are already being used by Fire Departments throughout the world, this is the first time such a solution has been rolled out in the United Kingdom.

The 6-month trial will test two BMW RT1200 police-spec bikes that have been kitted out with two 25 liter water tanks and a 30 meter hose reel.

TCSS,
CBz

Views: 4539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPaedUkSBZg

Fire bikes are not used as only mean of firefighting. Their purpose is to arrive quckly as posible and secure the scene until other fire teams arrive. For example in 2009. bus crashed with 49 passengers on highway. First on the scene was firefighter on motorcycle. 6 min later team on truck arrived and so on.
I know that single firefighter can't do much but he can do more than nothing.
With IFEX impulse gun you can put down or even extinguish a car fire. With battery operated Holmatro combi tool you can start with extrication. With first aid kit you can do something until reinforcement arrive. The users in tunnels know their real value.
amen
The IFEX Impulse System I have info on. I was sent a DVD on the different types of units designed and how to use. There is the backpack unit to vehicle mounted and stationary units to protect buildings and tunnels.
There is a website to check it out.
SIGN ME UP !
This subject is something i have been kickin around for some time. i like innovation, but carrying water on the fire truck? (must have seemed radical back then)...i believe there is a place for motorcycles in the american fire service but i cant see it right now becaus of the way we are structured around the "company" response. what comes to mind first is service calls, odor of smoke with no smoke seen, CO calls that kind of thing.

where i think it would excel is in EMS. Crew back up, quick response, special events, extended response times where "somebody needs to go"

i will be interested to see what others post on this subject
Let say on the paid and Vol side have there share of MVC but let me point out that there are more vol. departments than there are paid so by the numbers vol. will have more MVC's on the books the paid and vol. departmnts are the same WE ALL FIGHT FIRE!!!
I think we should just keep the Fire bikes in the parades at the moment. They always look awesome with flags strapped to the back. As an EMS tool they are ok, but if you require immediate load and go, your screwed. As a Firefighting tool, I really do not see a use, I love bikes and I have been riding bikes for over 25 years, but would I want to go code 3 to a call on two wheels in my service area, no thanks! Great topic though.....
Does anyone think those two are going to do anything practical, other than perhaps rescue with those itty-bitty tanks?

Wouldn't a more practical solution would be to outfit a utility van with light rescue tools, EMS equipment and a CAFS system and use them to run EMS/light rescue type calls? Sort of an updated version of Squad 51 (Emergency fans know what I mean). Put a scene lighting tower on top, a pair of SCBAs, and rehab supplies and this would be valuable vehicle to respond to all types of calls along with other apparatus. They would certainly use less fuel then larger apps and would get through traffic, terrain and narrow city streets easier than an Engine.

Having responded to several structure fires on my H-D Ultra Classic, due to unavailability

of my regular vehicle, I can tell you that responding to a fire with Turn Out Gear on board and then having to put it on is just not very practical most of the time.
Greenman
They do remind me of the Chinese Fire Trikes in this photo...

Greenman

Agreed. I don't care what you say, there's a difference. If you don't get that then it's probably because you're a volly who's never worked on the career side. As someone who's worked both, I know the differences. If you think my career job in a large city like Washington, DC is similar to a town of 2000 people than you're crazy.
I am a motorcycle rider myself, and feel the idea is nice. I do however, feel that a trike would be a little safer, than two wheels. I have to say in many areas, two wheels would be great for search and rescue, or even as said trash cans and so on. As for what I see in some of the pics, the trike idea would be better, for you can handle a little more weight, as well as gear. Most trikes have a reverse, as well as more stabability, I like the idea of bikes in the fire service, but feel it needs a little more thought as to safety. They do look cool, and now am going to build a wacker bike, and light it up like a Christmas tree. Ya'all take care, be safe and God bless.
Oh, a Whacker bike! Cool idea!

;-)

Greenman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service