Do you take a line in or just forcible entry tools?

Views: 1319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Easy big boy, never had you little balls busted?
Exactly, you are right on, working together. The truck does go to the floor above the fire without a line as well.
Thank you Vic. We have had this conversation so I know where you head is.
Thanks Ben.
I hear you on the budget - pretty much everyone is feeling that one these days.

Not my birthday - wasn't that one of the female class member's b-day???
Anyway, it was fun. Good to hear from you, brother.
So we do it wrong in the DCFD? They are wrong in the FDNY? Boston? Chicago? Philly? Indy? Baltimore? I'm sorry that these thousands of firemen do not live up to your standards. The big 3-alarm fire in DC a couple weeks ago with multiple rescues on a high rise probably would not have went so well if they didn't make access without a hose line. We have fires in this city every day. It always works and I think we know what we are doing. Like I said before, if you are trained and actually know what you are doing, it isn't dangerous at all.
Cap,

Let's not overstate the case. Even when performed by well-trained and highly experienced crews, searching a structure without the protection of a hoseline is easily the most dangerous fireground activity anyone will ever engage in. Training and experience make it less dangerous for sure, but it's never not dangerous.
Well said.
I wrote this somewhere else in the thread but here it goes again: In urban areas, the truck crew is working with a hose line, it's just that they aren't the ones carrying it. Usually the engine shows up first and is stretching a line by the time the first truck arrives, so technically the truckies are protected by a hose.

I'm a big fan of the engine/truck (or squad) segregation of duties. That is the biggest difference between the US and Australia, and I think it makes the US system far and away superior, but let's not forget the initial attack is (to me anyway) the key to overall success of the operation.
In our agency your not going into any fire situation without a hose line to protect you rescue or not.
Just curious chief, how many working fires does your department have in occupied structures per year, and how many fireground rescues does your department typically make in a year?
back in the day a box alarm (3 & 2) the 3rd engine and second truck went to the floor above the fire, so they did have a hose up there in case the fire extended.

I think "Working together" is the operative term!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service