Our department requires that on call firefighters who are wearing shorts when responding to a medical must cover them with either Wildland Gear or Structural gear. Is this an uncommon requirement for the bloodborne pathogens? Or how many departments allow firefighters to wear shorts on alarms?

Views: 3375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our department is only allowed to respond in shorts if we cover them with our bunkers for any type of calls, but only after night hours. We wear our station uniforms to calls during the daytime and early evening hours.

God Bless and Never Forget
ALWAYS REMEMBER DRESS TO BE PEPARED FOR WHAT EVER.. IT'S YOUR BODY..
Ya wanna wear shorts, become a Lifeguard. Looks unprofessional. Besides, lets face it, there are some people who you might not want to see in a pair of shorts.
We are only allowed to wear shorts to work out in or sleep in, not for station wear. If you're wearing shorts and responding to a medical, you should not be anywhere near the pt without appropriate coverage. Wear your bunker pants, no matter what you're wearing underneath, it's better protection. VSA's can throw up and people can be real bleeders when EMS puts in a line (we were covered by blood one day by a woman in seizure who was on blood thinners).
Unless it's ridiculously hot, I wear my coat a lot of the times as well... it's easier to hose off and get cleaned than going through the process of finding out if someone is infected with anything blood born when we get some of their body fluids on them.

Be smart and yes, look presentable.

PS - it's called PPE for a reason! :)
My department oftentimes has responders comming from home in the event of an alarm. I would not take the chance of being infected with anything by leaving anything exposed that didn't have to be. Bunker pants are standard for me. If I happen to be wearing shorts while at home, and a call comes out, I get into my bunkers at a minimum.

Some level of protection is better than nothing in my mind, regardless of the hazard.

Be safe, think before you act, wear your PPE...
On my department(volunteer) we aren't allowed to wear shorts or open toed shoes on EMS calls. Every squad(ambulance) has scrub pants in one of the interior compartments you can put on if you show up in shorts, or you have the option of wearing your bunker pants if you get to the station quick enough to grab them. Personally I prefer bunker pants, they provide more protection and your more identifiable while you're on scene.
We have been wearing shorts for 2 years now. Absolutely love it. As far as worrying about kneeling in fluids, my thoughts are at least I can wipe it off as soon as I get to the rig, if I am wearing pants I am than stuck in them until I get back to the station. If I get stuck on back to back calls if could be an hour and a half or longer before I can get that crap off me. It is also a help when we get back to the station after fire calls, we can cool off much quicker.
With our area you can't wear shorts or sleevless shirts. You must be covered with full length pants a shirt with sleeves.
Our dept. requires us to wear our bunker pants for all pt. if we have shorts on except for respiratory pt. The reason it isn't required or permitted for respiratory pt. is your bunker gear has all kinds of dusts and chemicals on it that could interfere with them.
Last summer our chief agreed to allow us to wear shorts as long as they are EMT shorts or other dark colored shorts that come down to or almost down to our knees. Must be clean and free of holes. We also respond from home and there have been times I have on jeans or shorts with a few holes (painting etc) and then I will wear wildland pants or turnouts.
we just had a call a couple of days ago, of duty emts responded to a car accident with entrapment wearing shorts flip flops and tee shirts. I really don't understand why some people refuse to provide for themselves while they provide for thier victims. Seems like a mixed message .

arthur Hayden
my dept. reqiures that if you are in shorts you must wear bunker paints. also you must have an article of f.d. apparal,i.e. our f.d. t-shirt, ball cap, or a part of your bunker gear, that way the public knows how you are coming into their homes. i believe if you are going to wear shorts you should put your bunker paints on. you never know what you are coming in contact with, and once your contaminated its to late to put your paints on. be safe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service