Well I might as well get this one going. For the past few years we have been putting on a recruit class for new members. The first year we started with 17.
-2 never showed up for the first class
-4 dropped the ofter the first class
-2 failed the class
-1 was repremanded and suspended
-2 were fired for less than honorable acts

The second class that I just completed started with 9
-1 quit due to the fact that he thought what we were doing was "Stupid"
-1 left for personal reasons
-1 was fired for less than honorable acts

How do we as instructors get to these people?

The average grade for those under 25 was 76%, and the average grade for those over 25 was 94%

Is there some sugetions you have for me and the next class.....?????

Thanks Ron

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

I see too many young people today getting into the fire service for the wrong reasons.
They are seeking the "rush" of responding to a call, or how "cool" they look in their bunker gear, or some other childish reason. They have no earthly idea of what firefighting is about, it's dangers, the hard work and training involved in becoming a firefighter, and the hardships involved to the firefighter and his or her family. They lack the personal integrity, loyalty, and dedication to duty that is required to do this job.

The numbers you have quoted are typical all actoss the country, which demonstrates the problem is widespread and growing. There are departments who are so desperate for members that their only qualification for membership is that you have a pulse.
There are other departments who take the stance that the job is too important and they must take only the most qualified people. If they start out with a dozen recruits and end out with only 2 becoming certified, then so be it ... the two are of far greater value than the 10 who would have been worthless.

Those of you who are instructors cannot teach those intangible qulaities such as loyalty and dedication, but what you can do is make the best effort to make these recruits understand the importance of these qualities in this life.
WOW!!! That sound a lot like our new military & civilian work force in general... There seems to be this overall "All about ME" attitude today. But you can't put ALL the blame on these kids. Look at our companies... there's no loyalty to the employee anymore either. Face it, the good old days of the "Company man" & knowing that the company has "Got your back" are LOOOOONG GOOOOONE!!!! I've noticed that our new generation has got this "instant gratification" need. This could be in part due to computers & the internet (ie: type in something and POW!!! there it is). I don't know, but they sure have a harder time working (for any extended time) for something. Bob, I argee with you 100%... As an instructor, you can NOT be responsible for passing someone who deosn't earn it. Because the mistakes & attitudes they show during academy will be a deadly liability on the fire ground. I had the misfortune/challenge of teaching Navy sailors (who didn't want ANYTHING to do with fire) how to be shipboard & aviation firefighters. The trick for me was to keep the topics interesting and driving home the cold fact that "YOU'RE IT MAN!!!" no one else is coming to help you.
2 very good replies. I took about 2 years off from firefighting just for many of the reasons being discussed.
I think if you get 3 solid firefighters out of 10 your doing good. It seems that many of theses kids don't give a rip about saving lives and property.
I have been around several younger senior firefighters that care more about there red or white helmet then doing there job or there men.... again the "it's all about me" attitude. To get the rookies going there has to be leadership , my first Chief went through basic training WITH me, he basically showed me the ropes. I think that kind of leadership and compassion is what it will take to turn it around.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service