Hey sisters! I need some help in how to deal with the anti-girl sentiment in the fire service. At my fh I don't have too much hostility. There are some there that believe women shouldn't be firefighters but they usually leave me alone and I just try to prove to them that I can do my job. But in my firefighter 1 class I face alot of anti-girl shit. I am the only girl in my class. And I am small so I have more trouble doing some of the things like throwing a 24 foot ladder. Non of my fellow students really talk with me and most will avoid having to be partnered to do a practical with me. They will help out eachother but I feel alone. I feel very watched by my instructors. Every little mistake I make they will point out. They are always telling me to make sure I be tough. It has gotten so bad that I don't want to go back anymore. The only reason I keep going right now is because my friend says I can't quit. Any suggestions on how to deal with fellow classmates and instructors that are anti-girl?

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Abby. i have experienced what you are going thru. I am also a small female on an all boy dept. The guys on my dept. are supportive but in the beginning the outside ff were stand-offish. What i did was work with the guys on my dept. modifying the "jobs" such as throwing ladders, working with chainsaws, etc. you will find little ways to use your lower body to get the job done. Let the comments roll off your back and or tell them where to go. Don't forget that the "male" way of bonding is to find your weakest point then go for the jugular. This is fun for them.go figure. Women are not taught from a young age to throw an axe or use a chainsaw. They take these skills for granted. Its good you are wateched by your instructors in your class. That means they are doing their job. Call upon them to teach you- thats what they are there for. Get your cert. and move on. You will not need them after that. Get in there and be a part of the group- you paid for the class and you have a right to be there. I found it very helpful to start weight lifting. It really helps when you have to move equipment. the guys will come to see that you can do the job and fit in. Everybody had jobs that they do not care for. Lots of guys do not like ladder work at all. I can climb like a monkey and am not afraid of heights. Find your "niche" and excell at those jobs. Hang in there kid. After you get a few years under your belt and some experience you will be accepted. Anita
Hey abby! Glad to hear that things worked out. It can be a tough road for sure, so finding people who will help you out is great. people will be willing to help you if you're willing to do the work! :) how are things going now?

Brittany, good job, keep working girl! it can be tough, but as you learn, retain and use that knowledge you will find it easier and easier.

Little story... there was a lady in my recruit class who didn't make it through class the first time around. She was given a second chance due to an injury. She worked hard and even though you could tell she was worried she wouln't make it, she did. Her crew really likes her, she gets along well, and works hard. She isn't very big either, but she's in great shape and makes the most of what she has to offer. It's great to see someone push forward through adversity, doubt and rumours and really make a great career for herself!!

Keep it up ladies! Take care! :)
Thanks for sharing all the stories. Thanks for hanging tough and not allowing others to discourage you. I am in week 5, toughening up, enjoying my training, enjoying being part of THIS class. If I get a job on a full-time department at some point, it will be guys like I'm going through class with that I will have to be working with. Again, I couldn't ask for a nicer group of guys and instructors. The more I learn, the more I like this job. Again... thanks for sharing all the stories. They are much appreciated.
Brittany
Cool!! And when you have grandchildren you can put them in the truck with you during the fire prevention parade. :)
This is just the beginning of what is to come.....make sure this is really what you want. There will not be one smooth path for you for quite some time. If ever. Sorry. It is better than what my Aunt faced back in the late '70's. Get into the gym, get upper body now!!! School is not as hard as the physical agility at most services.....volunteer to be a patient for another schools "hell night" to help you prepare...watch, listen and learn everything you can. Read way ahead of your assignments...you have to be better at everything else to make up for some anatomical differences. You will not be judged against a man your size, weight, and ability...you will be judged as a firefighter, plain and simple....it means work!!! Drink lots of water....run, run, and run some more. I send you my best wishes!! (Just saw that you had better responses...oh, well...I tried.)
D,
No response is better than another. We are all giving the younger generation the benefit of our experience. One of us may say something that encourages them to put up with the BS & not get discouraged & want to give up & regret it later. I think we should all mentor new FFs female & male because it is a tough business all around.

J
Hi Girls! I was just reading all your replies. I am not sure that I have much more to add. I just thought it was so great to see the support here. I am fortunate enough that I have not run into some of the obstacles many of you have endured. I remember when I came into the department one of the gals told me, "I am telling you the same thing they told me when I came in. Don't ruin it for the rest of us." I think of that often and think of the ladies that have paved the road for us. I have been in a few years now. I have seen girls come and go. The ones who don't succeed are those who are in it for the wrong reasons. I get incredibly frustrated with the girls who go in and flirt with the guys. That not only discredits her but it casts a negative shadow who are in this job for the legitimate reasons. On the flip side, I don't think we have to compromise our femininity to be a firefighter. This job does take grit. It takes courage. I applaud everyone who has perserved when told, "you are a girl, you can't do it." I remember my first live burn. I was scared spitless. I wanted so bad to run away but told myself I had worked too hard to walk away and hoowee what a rush.
I often times feel that we do have to do our job better than a man would. There are many out there that judge us more harshly, looking for us to fail. But as it was said before, keep your chin up. This is not an easy job. It is rewarding though. When you are scared or overcome with the feeling that you want to walk away from it, remember you are here for a reason. We are part of a select group of women who have been called to do this job. And when those men tell you that you can't do it, remember they don't know you or your true character. Many times those newbies are saying things because they are in the job to prove how macho they are. If a girl can do it, what does it say about them or so they think. But those guys will get a little time under their belt and their attitudes will change.
Perhaps as woman we have the physical aspect to overcome. We have other things to offer. Compassion, intelligence, and courage. We are different but we are equal. Keep fighting and remember you didn't come into this because you are a coward. You are strong and capable. And take each comment, each insult as character building. And when it gets you down, just look at this trememdous support of sisters you have here. Stay strong and remember you were called to this job for a reason.
Stat strong...Fortunatly i didnt have this problem when i went through MOD 1 here in GA...all of the guys in my class were very supportive towards me...my instructors incouraged me...try and make friends with a couple of the guys they may help...i was the only girl in my class also...like everyone else has said keep your head up...
Can you trust your company officer? If so I would let them know what is going on. I have had a lot of problems here. I had to stand my ground and that was not easy. You shouldn't have to feel like you're being discriminated against that's called a hostile work enviroment.
Wow! I can remember when I was the only girl in my essentials of firemanship class back in 1988 it was tough but I am two member from my dept with but of course they did always pair up for the practicals evoluntions but I did manage to meet new people from other depts when the instructors paired us off. The instructors should be non-bais. They should be pairing you off with a stronger member of the class. Be small must be tough. As for throwing a ladder there is a little thing called teamwork that should be in place when performing any task in the fire service. Hitting the gym to lift weights would be a good idea for you kettlebells are great for strength, endurance and cardio. As for the anti-girl shit the best thing you can is rise above it and remember that this job is nolonger all muscle and no brains. Finish FF1 and move on to other classes. Get the members in your to dept to work with you on your practicals so that you are better prepared for class. Once you show these knuckle dragers that you are willing to learn and do the work and that you can do the work and you can we may just shut up but some just may get worse so just keep plugging along. Most of the knuckle dragers that came across are now 6 feet under. Dont worry some of those girl hater will most likely become your best friends and your biggest allies. Just do the work and practice alot. Wher are you from? and if you need anything just email me at takm1143@aol.com. Good luck and chin up.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service