We have all been to numerous car accidents and most of them while unique in their own rights are still pretty standard as far as tactics go.  Scene saftey, stabilize vehicle, access patient(s), extrication or remove.

I came across this picture and have been thinking about how we would approach this situation.  Not something you see everyday . . . heck I'm not even sure how they got in this predicament.

But lets use our imagination, training, experience and knowledge and see how we would approach this scene and deal with the complications it presents.

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe the car may have run up a guy wire..... those are the heavey steel wires that are run from the top of the pole at an angle and secured into the ground to prevent the wires at the top of the pole from pulling it over.
This was our call one Sunday morning. I was working at the ER that day, but some of the guys who made this call filled me in.
Some lucky person hit the curb, the side of the car went up guy wire the utility pole, hence the gouge in the passenger door, and boom! Gets hung up on the wires, which were cable TV and telephone. Terry and Jim are correct and nailed it. Out come a crane and lowers the car down after the oil had leaked out and the motor seized. The "victim" had already jumped out and caught a bus, according to witnesses, prior to emergency services arrived.
Basically what we did was call for utilites to make location and let them handle the situation.
There was a lot of debate whether this was real or not... It was very real. I have several more pictures that show multiple angles and views.
Here are some of the pics from our pumper crew when this happened on 6/13/2004.
Attachments:
I think I saw a video on this wasn't the car left running after the driver bailed to catch the bus?
Thanks Neil, I was just rummaging through images on google and saw this one and thought it would be interesting to talk about.
I'm guessing that no one has a heavy-lift helicopter with an electrically-insulated cargo hoist.
Ours has been on order for quite a while, but as luck would have it something is always back ordered.
Wasn't that in 68's area?
This was on Alief Clodine between Howell-Sugarland and Metro, by O'Donnell Middle School. Pretty much in the middle of District 2 of Community VFD.
The motor was left running, at least until the oil drained and it seized.
Start with a good scene size-up. Probably will have to have the police cars moved that would be parked next to the vehicle hanging from the wires. Ask the police officers if they feel any tingling?? But seriously... Call the utility company, assess hazards (Hot zone at least one pole in each direction), attempt to determine number of patients and extent of injuries from a safe distance. Truck and rescue companies for stabilization and extrication if neccessary. A reputable towing operator can be an asset in assisting the truck/rescue companies in stabilizing the vehicle. Much quicker than attempting to locate a crane and operator. Ah yes... get pictures.
In our department we have two guys that work on hydro so distinguishing the power situation is quite easy.Once it is shut down there isn't a way to safely stabilize this car while it is hanging off that set of wires so I would try and get it on the ground but an ariel will work to start extrication pending the status of the driver or other occupants they may be able to climb out cause as everyone here knows that how many times have you wheeled up to a scene and said there has to be dead people in this car but everyone in it just some bumps and bruises.i would not want to be using ladders in my personal opinion cause you don't have a clue when that wire is going to let go and which way the car is going when it does.Keep all your guys back from underneath incase it does.An ariel will not work as a crane so don't try get a crane called out if extrication is required.Your guys safety is #1 priority over the person in the car so when you have an unknown like when a suspended car of a little wire don't put your guys in peril.I could handle having the end of our laddertruck bent up it can be fixed but I never would want to have to lift a car off the top of one of my buddies because we lost site of safety.Best bet if the people can't climb out under their own power the crane will be on its way before anything major into extrication is done.Just my thoughts.If you don't have a crane or big tow truck then you will have to stand back a minute and scratch your noggin.Let us take a moment to pray...... Please Lord protect us from having a scene like this .... Amen!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service