What do you think about using your lights in your pov when assisting a stranded motorist?

Where i live we are allowed to run lights in our pov but no siren.I was driving down a busy interstate by my house the other night and saw a vechicle on the side of the road with it's flashers on.So i pulled over to see if i could be of assistance and an edlery lady had a flat so naturally i offered to change it for her.I went back to my pov and fliped on my lights(rear strobes) to make ourselves more visible because it was a very narrow shoulder.A cop pulls up(my ex girlfriends dad)he dose'nt like me since we broke up.And tells me using my strobes the way i was using them is illegal.And if i don't turn them off he's going to take me to jail.I tried to explain to him what i was doing but he didn't want to hear it.So i guess my question is what do you guys think about using your lights in this manner?And have you guys done the same thing before?And also was the cop out of line?I think he said that because i broke up with his daughter.One more thing i also explained this to my chief he was fine with it.He said better to be visible than dead.

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have used my lights andt help stranded motorist more than once i just called out local dispatch and let them know what im doing and let them know i have my lights on. and they are ok with it and the police are too. good post im glad u brought this up.
James, I have done this before with my Duty rig many times. However, it is an Official vehicle. Might want to talk with your Chief and check to see what the law is. Was be screwing with you because he can or is it indeed the law. Whether your Chief says its ok or not wont count for much when you standing before the judge. Know your laws Bro.
Here in Iowa our light permit states that the lights can only be used while responding to an emergency. However I have used my lights for roadside assistance and never had any problems with the law. Actually I even had a sheriff deputy drive by on the highway once and hit fis airhorn and waved as he drove by.
Well bud it sounds like the ex's dad was just trying to be Mr.Tuffguy. The way I understand it if you get hit on the way to a call its your and the Cheif's rear. Now I thought that we do what we do becuase we like helping people so having said that I would check the state and local laws. Then the next time it happens you can tell Mr Tuffguy to go get bent. I've been in the fire service for 11 plus years and had lights on the pov(christmas tree) for 8 of those. I've always known the cops in the area and have never had a problem. I've always thought it was a common act of kindness to stop and help some one. If your lights keep you and the other person from getting hit than its all good. Now the insurance thing that could be tricky. You need to talk to your agent and give them a "what if" and see what they say. I geuss the main thing to keep in mind is to be smart about it, if you can get the car off the road its gonna be a better thing. Some times you cant so just be careful not to get hit.
Mr. Buck there has a very good suggestion also.
I agree, better to be safe then sorry. One suggestion I'd like to make - use Amber strobes or flashers instead of red or blue. People are more likely to take notice and steer clear of you. Otherwise you're looking for trouble from rubber neckers.
I had a similar experience....I was driving home and came across a man lying in the street....unconscious...I pulled over and blocked with my vehicle and turned my lights on...went to him...called 911 and held cervical traction and waited for the ambulance (yes, I am a medic as well as Firefighter)...Local police shows up and what does he want to know....? No...not what happened but rather why I have my vehicle parked like this and why my lights are on.......I politely asked him to hold the mans head and offerred to go turn my lights off and leave the scene and go home so my lights wouldn't bother him....He got a little angry and asked if I was being a smart-ass...I told him no, but, if my lights bothered him that much I would leave...(No, I didn't leave) Turns out the guy slipped, fell and struck his head on the curb, had a nasty laceration and required a few stitches...Don't think I made any friends with the cop...Don't know how I will sleep at night knowing this......LOL Stay safe..........Paul
I've done the exact same thing numerous times. I almost always try to stop if I see a stranded motorist and I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere. Usually they are totally fine and help is on its way, but its still nice just to stop and see if they need help or if they need to use your cellphone or something like that. I always flip on my lights when I stop. Exact same thinking as yours---the highway is a busy place and I dont like semis passing me just a few feet away at 70 mph. I have had a couple of state troopers stop and see what was going on b/c my lights were on. They have all been cool about it though. The cops usually tell me thanks for stopping or offer some help to the stranded motorist and tell me I can go if I want. Just goes to show ya that there are some cops out there that are serious assholes who are on serious power trips.
I agree with you 100% on this one. I have done the same myself and would do it again. Look at any police that pulls over to help assist a broken down motorist they also turn on warning lights to make them more visable. I would talk to a higher up within the police dept. and see what they have to say about the actions of the officer. Sounds to me he was out of line and has a grudge for you breaking up with his daughter
Yes ambers are good. Its known that amber lens lets more CP through than a red. Now as for somewere like PA the FF POV's run all blue. That lets even more CP through than amber, but getting that amber depends on what kind of lighting u have and how much you wanna spend if you cant change the filter ...ie LEDS that are a set color. As for the rubber neckers ya just cant help the stupidity of the rubber necker. They take there eyes off the road then bad things happen. But really I geuss that all depends on how bad the RNer wants to break his or her attn.(or neck) from what they should really be payin attn. to.
Now for the guy that was lying in the middle of the road, as soon as Ems got there they would have needed a 2nd unit for the cop cause I would have smacked him till he had a head injury then see if he wanted anyone to stop to help him. It is my belief ... what comes around goes around. Some day I may be the one needing help.
I see nothing wrong with it and like others I have done the same. I've always radioed in to dispatch to let them know the situation and that I was assisting and had my lights on. I figure, better to let them know and give them a heads up.

Never had any problems, but then again I'm on good terms with all the police too.

John
i do think the cop waas out of line by a longshot. i say as long as the vehicle is not moving then it would be ok. a buddy of mine used his lights off duty to assist at an mva

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service