My name is Kevin O'Brien and will not hide behind anything or anyone about being a Firefighter!

Where has it gone? Our spirit, tradition and honor! Too many young kids on the job forget what is important. Is it beacuse our lives are too busy? Perhaps!

I worked in the FDNY from 1981 and retired 2002. I have seen so many things. It made me strong in many ways and also made me weak. I learned from the past by paying attention to the "senior" members and so should you! Our history is your guidline to your future. Pay attention!

The days leading up to 9-11-2001 taught me many things. Being a Firefighter is not a job, it's a vocation, a calling if you don't mind. It is a LIFE. We marry , have chrildren but being a Firefighter is almost as important. BROTHERHOOD!

Being a Firefighter from whatever city or whatever town does NOT stop you from being involved. I say this now because so many have forgotten. Not only 9-11, but the firefighters who die each year..every year! This is our job to peserve the memory and honor of these people. OUR CALLING!

I run a golf outing in Myrtle Beach for the memory of NOT those who have died but the spirit of the Firefighters who stood up and came to our side. They helped our families, went to funerals and stood at our memorials! They were/are the key of our being. Come see how a group of people can stand as one. May 16 - 20, 2010 Look at fdnygolf.com for all the info.

Even if you can not attend. Remember one thing! TRADITION

NEVER FORGET............ANYONE!

KOB

Views: 688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have sensed a growing divide for some time.
I think that the reasons are many and varied.
I don't think that it is a simple matter of the "old" guys telling the "new" guys to: listen and you will learn.
If we want departments to feel the history and tradition of the fire service and their fire department, then there has to be examples that they can see and touch.
You cannot tell a department that has seen several years of inner turmoil and turnover about the long tradition and history of the fire service. They don't care about Ben Franklin or the Great Chicago Fire. They only care about their chief, his 5 relatives who get all of the perks and the last big fire they had was 20 years ago.
So; there has to be a desire to want to learn it and pass it on.
Passing tradition and history on to a new generation will only occur when the respect issues are resolved and the exchange of info is done openly and in a non combative way.
The divide that I refer to will only widen if we don't come from each side and meet somewhere in the middle.
IMHO.
Art
When I get a rookie the 1st thing I do is sit down and talk about my expectations and goals. After awhile I ask them one question which tells me more about them than any other. "Why did you join the fire service?". If they answer because of the brotherhood, excitement, rush, and the ability to help others than I feel good about them. If they answer because of the days off, benifits, money, or they tried the police department 1st, then I know what I working with.

Every generations gets a bad name, I'm sure mine did too. But, that one question usually says it all.
Well put! Understand your point very well. The FDNY is a different animal I guess. What I have noticed is since 9-11 many cites have adopted FDNY houses and to this day still keep in touch. My golf event in Myrtle Beach is attended but Firefighters fom over 25 States!

The single MOST important thing as a Firefighter we must do is NEVER FORGET
*********** ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE FIREFIGHTER CANDIDATES ************

THE POST FROM WADE SEELY IS AN EXCEPTIONAL EXAMPLE OF WHERE YOUR HEAD NEEDS TO BE TO GET A BADGE. READ THIS, MEMORIZE IT AND LIVE BY IT...

Seriously, if you really want to be a firefighter, working full-time and enjoying one of the most awesome professions in the world, then you have to be totally committed. This starts with each and every public post you place on the internet. And I mean EVERY post. Just google your own name and see what pops up...

Now consider a few years down the line where you have completed more education, possibly have spend years as an explorer, then a junior, then a volunteer and you are going for the badge. Everything looks great. You've passed the entrance exam, kicked ass on the physical components, went through the oral boards and now they want you. The fire department uses human resources folks to do things like setting up the testing so it's fair and non-biased. There job also includes background checks that use public forums such as facebook, my space and the FFN to gleam information about the person.

If one was to read Wade's post, what kind of impression do you think he left. When you write things down here on the FFN, do you think about the future ramifications for your words and opinions? You should... and now you know why.

TCSS, CBz
Jack and Captain,

Thank you both for your comments and your insight and I will keep them in mind in my furthur discussions.

I also have to agree with you, Jack, on both the parent/child relationship and the responsibilty factor

TCSS
For the most part I agree with most of the mosts here. I have been in the FIRE/EMS service for 13 years now and I have seen most angles from volunteer to paid, from professional to unprofessional. I am fairly young so I think this applies to my generation quite a bit. Tradition is a wonderful thing, it is also a terrible thing. If the department's tradition is to be on the cutting edge of equipment, training and tactics, is a wonderful thing. If the department's tradition is to think they cannot be improved or new guys are idiots and know nothing, it's a terrible thing. I also believe that today's society plays a huge part in attitudes. Political correctness does not allow us to "put people in their place" as we sometimes should. I have rookies that are older than me come onto our department and think they know more than me just because they are older. That is until the S**T hits the fan on a fire or a bad medical and then they are looking toward me to do something. When I started in the fire service, I was the youngest one on the department by 20 years. There were no 20-somethings on the department and I was 17. I learned to watch and learn, ask questions when I didn't understand, jump when told to do so, stand up for myself when needed and to be involved in everything. I fully believe you have to show that you are reliable and trustworthy as a rookie so the guys around you will know you can be trusted and relied upon when the bad things happen. This job is about service, humility and respect. That goes from the Fire Chief all the way down to the probie.

Great topic! You guys have a great new year and stay safe!!!
well said, Captain Busy.
O.K. i have to ask... what is "TCSS"? I can think of some but was wondering yours.

Like Take Care, See ya Soon.

J.D.
take care, stay safe
I agree with you, we should never forget and there is much we need to learn from our more senior people. However, I see a lot of senior guys who have lost their love for this job. I have officers who don't want to leave the house and will do anything to not have to train or do PR. This attitude is many times worse than the new kids coming in. The other thing I have noticed is the new guys coming in want to learn and if guided, are more than willing to follow tradition and past responsibilities. I think the important issue here is making sure that the real leaders lead and make a difference in these new firefighters lives. If we can instill in these young brains the right attitudes and beliefs, than our job and theirs will be much easier in the future and the fire service will be bettor for it.
J.D.:
When I use it, it mean Take Care Stay Safe
I actually invented the phrase; right after I invented the Internet!
TCSS.
Art
not to mention fire and stone tools.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service