We are buying a non-transport rescue and are not sure about the chassis. No one we know runs a Sterling, and we have heard rummors that thier health as a company is not the best (but the Ford took a bailout so how really knows?) We need to hear for people who run sterling bullets (perferably who run both!) and give us straight dope.

Views: 864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If my memory serves me right sterling was bought last year by another company, but I cant remember who. I work for a industrial company that has a couple sterlings and other trucks but the sterling is my favorite. My department does not own one, when we purchase those type of units we look for the closest dealer to service it. We do own a Ford F550 and love the truck but not the body made for it.
From what we hear, the governor has got bigger problems than bill paying!
What are you saying??? He doesn’t have a problem….Now... the old governor might:)
We just bought a Sterling for our walk around rescue... looks an awful lot like a dodge ram.
I thought he still was the Gov......I live in NH...we just shoot em when they get that bad
F-550
Although, what about getting your hands on a Ford Excusion (if you can find one)
My friends dad works for a private Ambulance/Medical Co. and wont stop raving about how good of trucks they are, on and off the road. He works out in the desert 2/3 shift and gets an Excusion b/c he is a supervisor.
He wants to switch from ford F-250 Superdutys to Excusions....one problem, for dont make the Excusions anymore. =(
but if i had to choose between the Sterling Bullet or F-550 i would have to say F-550
Hopw this helps
Marc
Ford diesels are trash? Why do most departments utilize Ford F-x50 based chassis for brush, arff, rescue and mini-pumper operations? There is Dodge and Chevrolet to pick from yet more and more people choose Ford.
Couple of things here; Oldman did you know that Chevy has taken the pto out of the Allison, not sure if you can get it has an option, but to replace its 5 grand, the moved saved GM $20 per unit. I’m pretty sure that GM has the 4 door in the new 4500-8500.
As for why everyone goes ford, they are the only ones that stand behind their frames/suspensions. I always though if you took a Chevy cab, Doge Cummins, Allison trans on a Ford frame, that would be the truck for me.
Our department has a 550 and we have had nothing but trouble out of the turbos (four of them total), the powerstroke was a great engine until they switched from the 7.3 to the 6.0. Everything else on the truck works great plenty of power and room (we have the extended cab). At my day job we have 6 chevy/gmc 4500's and 5500's you can get two different diesal engines one made by cat that runs great and plenty of power, or one made by isuzu that tops out at fifty miles and hour without any load. The only thing I like about the chevy's are the transmissions (wich are made by "allison" but chevy bought the light duty division from allison). The cabs rattle and are to big for the size of the truck. I have never drove a steriling bullet but have dealt with bigger sterlings and loved them. I know a crane company that has two bullets and love them. Also dodge is now making a 4500 and 5500, I would go with the bullet or a dodge but I'm kind of partial. I stop rambling now.
Go with the Bullet or Ram, same truck, Chrysler with the Cummins has the field WAY out classed. May have to swap cabs some day but that motor will run forever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service