Should a property owner have the right to tell the OIC to let his property burn.

We recently have an early morning barn fire. We were 2nd due Engine Co in this area. About 10 minutes into the incident, the owner stated to let his 80' x 80' pole barn burn down. It was filled with hay inside and we were able to keep some from burning. Water supply was established from a hydrant about 1 mile away that filled tankers.

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't know the circumstances surrounding ownership, whether they are the owner, let alone messing around to prove ownership. You don't know if they are trying to get money, or like someone said, the issue of a nasty divorce. It's going to get put out one way or another.
If you get called to the fire, put it out!!! That is what we are supposed to do. If the property owner re-lights it later and it is not called in, then there is nothing you can do, but if you go back, put it out again. There is always a possibility that the is something that is in the building that should'nt be buring.... As a firefighter you just can't afford to take a chance.
i really don't think the property ower has any say when their is a fire. we have to look after the people around the buring house. it'sour job to keep everyone save and try not to let the problem get out of control. sorry for the owner.
No once the fire dept has arrived on scene the property belongs to the fire dept. the home owner has no say. Thats why if it is suspected arson we stay on scene until the investigator arrives. that way they dont need a warrant to investigate. if they said to just let it burn that makes you a little suspicious that maybe they set it on fire, and might be trying to get insurance money. Think about it.
we have been to lots of controled burns like farmers burning off their fields and as long as their there with it and its controlled than we lrt them do it but any other call we have even been called to someone burning trash in a barrell and the oic had them put it out cause we are always told ounce we are called than its getting put out.
As with the majority on this topic. If it is a barn, outhouse, hen house and it's on fire, then the property is no longer that of the owner. It will be once the fire is out, but if they re-light it, well I do know some police officers who have shiney braclets for the owner.
I think this would set one up for a nasty lawsuit. "The FD allowed it to burn, they didnt even try to save my house....Im going to sue....'' forget that....Im spraying water.
If full of hay-I would let it burn,it will save you the headache later. I would extinguish it if it is insured or close proximity to other structures.
We were called to a mutual aid with a dept. close to us with a 3 million corn storage building,the owner stated he didnt want it put out. I told the owner if that was the way it was going to we were leaving and not to call us back. The other dept. stayed for two days and finally started putting water on it the third morning after the owner brought in a track hoe and started moving grain around with a raging fire and alot of grain dust. nothing more was ever said about my choiceto leave and we still get mutual aid calls from the other dept. the fire was finally put out about a month later when all the corn was finally taken out. The track hoe was well done when they finally got done.
well here we have what is called a controled burn! and the fire dept is there or dispach knows the fire is going on at the time and place and if it is not a CONTRLLED BURN we put it out!
very good info to know fellas i'll remember this discussion when we come across an owner that just wants to let it burn down. this is my scene and its going to be put out.
No the property owner does not have the right to tell IC to let his/her property burn. When we are called out to a 9-11 call the call belongs to the FD. It is our scene, property until turned back over to the owner. I am pretty sure that if the owner does not let you put the fire out the insurance company will not pay the owner for damages. Great question. Stay safe.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service