i know there is a Juniors Being Pulled From School to Go on Call post but what about seniors that are 18 years old? do they get to leave school for a call?

Views: 1112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were two fires that were crazy, and men were dehydrating so the number of fire fighters able to work after three hours were decreasing.
School = Learning. Whether your 5 or 50.

NOOOOOO!
Oldman,

It's you're. (And he can learn lots on a fireground.)
I would say that based on your grammar and spelling you might have wanted to stay in school.
You're wrong about the last part of that statement. Unless you have your HS diploma or GED a recruiter will tell you to finish your schooling. No diploma means no job in the military.
In my first department an officer could get us out of school, but it never happened.
Alan,

I'm not wrong about that last statement. Depending upon recruiting needs the military will accept applicants without a diploma or GED. In fact, the U.S. Army recently opened the Army Preparatory School at Fort Jackson, S.C. which exists for the sole purpose of educating Army enlistees who lack a diploma or GED.
Thank you WP, you don't catch me too often.

As one gets older, the harder it is to multitask such as replying quickly while talking to the Chief on the phone. And your are correct that one can learn on the fire ground.

However, volunteering for the fire department should not, come before school, I don't care how old one is. It will not happen in my department,... but once. Then it becomes a non issue as the Chief sends them on their way.
well if your a senior and you got all of your credits you need to graduate why not? all of your classes senior year are pretty much electives. I think if they are 18 and have all of their credits i say they should be able to. But if they don't have all of their credits they have to stay in school
Perhaps there are other departments that struggle with manpower issues and can't afford to turn away help.

I missed some classes for reasons far less noble than helping my community. I managed.
Mike, I cannot speak about MN.

In Texas, regardless of whether one has all the minimum credits to graduate, the law says one must have "X" number of hours in school in addition to credits in order to graduate. My Chief's take on this subject with our people is;

If we allow the violation of what some consider a frivolous law, then what other more serious law/s are they likely to violate in the future. I really cannot argue with his reasoning.
Oldman,

They can respond to the occasional alarm and still meet the minimum number of classroom hours requirement.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service