Great article I just read.  He talks about the "Risk a lot to save a lot" saying and how it really doesn't make sense.  Some people pull up on a vacant building and say that they aren't going in because it's vacant.  Well do you really know that without a search?  NO.  Homeless people could be squatting or children could be playing around.  The fire had to start some how.  Our job is very dangerous at times and some people don't realize that.  They think they can just stand outside with a hose line spraying water into the building and everything is great.  We shouldn't only risk a lot to save a lot; we need to risk a lot to do our jobs.(as said at the end of the article)

http://thetailboard.com/2011/12/risk-a-lot-to-save-a-lot-is-b-s/

Views: 2790

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When did trying to bring home the 100 firefighters per year that we lose to LODD's become SELFISH?

???  So we should just not do out job properly to hopefully not have any LODD?  That makes no sense.  This is a dangerous job.  Guys will die in the line of duty.  If you can't accept that then this really isn't the job for you.  You know that it could happen when you took that oath to save lives and property.

Capcity.

We Firemen on here agree and know what your saying, because we live it.

As for those who don't, they may never be able to grasp it.  Does it matter if they don't. No, because it won't  affect how our departments do the job.  For us it isn't just a job it's a calling, it's who we are.

God Bless

So capcity, are you saying that we can't do our job properly without killing ourselves?

55 Truck

"Firemen Stoke Fires, Firefighters Fight Them"

Bumper Sticker from the 1970's

Seriously?! Its scary to me that there are still a few firefighters that feel validation when a firefighter dies in a fire. More firefighters die responding to calls than fighting fires. Should we not wear are seatbelts responding to calls? More firefighters die of heart attacks than responding to calls. Should we not worry about doing cardio and annual Med physicals? After all firefighters are supposed to die otherwise chicks would stop thinking we are heroes.

Wake up people!!! If 100 pizza delivery drivers a year died on duty you would think they didn't know how to their job. You would be screaming for all pizza delivery drivers to reevaluate the way they perform. You would mandate better training. You would never sit back and say "well pizza delivery is a dangerous job and delivery boys are going to have to die once in a while because the public needs fresh warm pizza's"

Your not being asked to stay out every fire..You can still get your helmet dirty. Just use the head under the dirty helmet a little better before you run in.

What are you talking about?  Who said that it's good that firefighters die?  You can't compare it to delivering pizzas.  They aren't comparable professions.  Of course it's bad that firefighters die but it's a dangerous job.  It's not an excuse to not do it properly.  When a human runs into a burning building, there's a chance that they might not come out.  They knew that when getting hired.  No matter what safety precautions that you take, it's going to be dangerous.  Accidents are going to happen in this job whether you like it or not.  

The only way that I can guarantee that everyone goes home is if we stand outside of every fire and spray water into to the building.  Does that sound like a good exchange for losing the lives of civilians and all of their property?

No but I will say that you made up your own opinion and put words into my mouth.  Read my reply to S Br.

It's tradition in large cities to say firemen.  That's why he said it.  We are the same way here.

I did neither.  I simply asked you a question. 

Since you claim that you're not saying that we can't do our job properly without killing ourselves, how do you explain your comment "Guys will die in the line of duty.  If you can't accept that then this really isn't the job for you."?

Interesting, since that bumper sticker originated with FDNY members.

Just for the sake of objective comparison,do you know how many pizza delivery guys are killed on the job each year?  If you've ever seen pizza delivery guys in action, it's pretty obvious that pizza delivery is an inherently dangereous proffession.

Obviously,the risks and inherent dangers are not the same, but from a statistical comparison, it would be interesting to compare pizza delivery LODDS to firefighter LODDS.

You ended with your usual false dilemma.  There are other options besides going inside and standing outside every fire.  That's the point of the efforts to improve firefighter safety and health - being smarter about how we fight fires that don't neatly fit into obvious offensive and obvious defensive fires and thinking about what we do insead of a knee-jerk "go inside every time" mentality that some firefighters have.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service