RICHARD WALKER
Journal of the San Juans
Reprinted with Permission

Photographs of a firefighter fighting a car fire without proper gear Aug. 10 led to the suspension of Friday Harbor Fire Chief Vern Long.

A month before a town firefighter was photographed fighting a car fire without proper equipment, firefighters extinguished a car fire on Spring Street without proper gear. Firefighters spray water on the dashboard and in the engine compartment; firefighters did not put on their breathing apparatus, although smoke or steam is visible.
(Richard Walker/July 8, 2010)

Related

But it wasn't the first time firefighters fought a car fire without wearing their self-contained breathing apparatus, or SCBAs.

A review of Journal photo files turned up previously unpublished photos of a car fire July 8, showing firefighters without SCBAs extinguishing Connie Auge's smoldering 2003 VW Golf, parked in front of her hair salon.

Town Administrator King Fitch, who reviewed the photos, did not comment but e-mailed to The Journal a copy of the town's standard operating procedure for fighting car fires. "The minimum level of protection for firefighters is full protective clothing breathing air from the SCBA," according to Policy 2.0A states.

Assistant Fire Chief Tom Eades said the incident was reviewed at a drill in July. Asked if SCBAs should have been worn, Eades said, "I would say yes ... I can't go back and rebuild the scene, but if the minimum standard says SCBAs should be worn, then SCBAs should have been worn."

Fire Capt. Tony Smith was first on the scene of the car fire, in front of Auge's salon on Spring and Mullis streets. Dressed in civilian clothes, he used the fire extinguisher from his command vehicle and then used water from a faucet to cool the area behind the dash. His command vehicle was equipped with an SCBA but he did not wear it.

Eades gave Smith credit for keeping the fire from spreading to the building.

Undersheriff Jon Zerby was next on the scene and used his fire extinguisher. A fire truck arrived 3-5 minutes later.

A firefighter looked inside the engine compartment; no smoke was visible and he did not wear an SCBA. But smoke or steam was visible when firefighters sprayed water onto the dash and into the engine compartment to fully extinguish the fire. They did not have their SCBAs on.

"If there's no toxic environment — if it's totally clear, or it's been out or a while — it's not necessary to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus," Eades said. As for the July 8 incident, "I can't say 100 percent, 'Yeah, they should have been wearing their SCBAs.' The safe thing to say is, 'Yes, you do.'"

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i agree not only the cheif but the firefighters should b suspended i mean wat woulda happened if they got hurt and there was and investegation
chief not cheif srry
Regardless of the chiefs status, I question the Capt., in that he was first with equipment and I quote.. "Fire Capt. Tony Smith was first on the scene of the car fire.......Dressed in civilian clothes, he used the fire extinguisher from his command vehicle and then used water from a faucet to cool the area behind the dash. His command vehicle was equipped with an SCBA but he did not wear it." What example did this "officer" set and what was his disposition after the fact?
Since the chief is responsible over-all, then I'd agree with his discipline.
However; everyone there who violated their fire department policies should also be disciplined according to their policies as well.
Captain had his gear in his command vehicle. A CAPTAIN with his own department vehicle?
Anyway; Fire board dropped the ball.
In another article related to these incidents several firefighters from this department resigned, citing no confidence in their Chief.
as my Chief says, lead by example. Me, personally, i always have all my proper gear on at a call, unless im sitting in the truck, or sitting at rehab, getting hurt on the job its not fun
Have to lead by example.In this case it seems to be a lax attitude toward wearing PPE.Probably not the first time,just the first time anybody has said anything.If it is dept. policy(or even if it's not)it should have been dealt with right after the call in a AAR.Wouldn't need to be a huge production,just call the troops together and remind them"hey folks,we need to start doing better at gearing up" and go from there.Then if it continues to happen start to call on people individually,in private,and start the process of reminding them about consequences of not following policies.Never should have got to this point.Just my opinion from where I'm sitting 3000 miles away.I could be way off base.
Still sad situation that in this day and age, some just do not (or will not) GET IT! There are some on this site that actually admit, (almost brag) that they NEVER wear an scba at a vehicle fire.... That just sucks! Sure the chief, being the immediate authority in charge of the dept. should have enforced the rules.. but, gawd almighty the guy is not a babysitter! I am sure that his members are grown up enough to understand rules and regs. and follow them or...
I could see it if the jr. or explorer..no wait..cancel that thought..even THEY know better.
Some of these so called firefighters, need to have a large serving of destroyed lung, served up to them at supper time.. just to show what the F'k that crap they are breathing in, (even though it will NEVER HAPPEN TO THEM) WILL DO, to theirs. NOT IF, WHEN! Sorry folks.. just a tad bit sensitive on this issue as those who know me, will already realize.
Damn that felt kinda good! but just a bit! I haven't vented like that in a while...
I'd like to do that to some of our people so bad.....it hurts.Some folks just do not get that we can't do things the way we did 20 -30 years ago.I don't know how to beat it in their head without blowing up.But,if blowing up saves their hide I don't mind being called an expletive or two.That means they're still alive to do it.
All I have to say, since I wasn't there is: For Christ's sake it's 2010, where your PPE like your life depends on it because it could! Stay safe everyone.
Not long ago on this site there were videos showing Boston fire ventilating a roof with fire showing through and when someone said something about some guys not wearing ppe others were defended their actions. I am trying to see the difference between a car fire and venting a roof can someone please help me.
Well for starters MJ, just have to take a look at what is burning in a car, vs what is burning in the roof?
Lets just use a normal???? common everyday roof, of wood, with asphalt shingles. Nothing special, most common material that a roof would be constructed of. Now, on the same level, lets take just an ordinary run of the mill car. Any make, Any model, Any year, etc etc.. While both are serious enough to warrant using scba, which one would you think is the more likely to cause damage to your internal organs faster?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service