Here's another story of a homeowner who didn't pay the subscription fee for fire protection, believing that, if he had a fire, the fire department would come anyway.

He was wrong.

This follows the same line of thinking of districts who shut down their departments, believing that, if they needed fire protection, they could rely on mutual aid.

What is wrong with that thinking?

Read the story from Tennessee: http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefighters-watch-as-home-bur...

TCSS.

Views: 1624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Google South Fulton Fire Department and see what comes up.

That's a very strange thing for a civil servant to say.

Yeah and if you rub my belly in the right spot, I will kick my right leg uncontrolably.

And I'm not civil.

Servant, yes.

I am rewarded with a three hundred dollar check at the end of the year for my work as an elected trustee for the fire district.

Ah, but the comradarie and conversation makes it all worth it.

When the US moves, the whole world feels it.  As the largets economy and largest military, America's actions are news everywhere. 

"Annointed One"?  TARP was passed in 2008.  The Annointed One must refer to George W.  I guess a child of wealth and privledge, that's a fair assessment, but I still think it's kinds disrespectful.  TARP was hardly progressive, the financial industry had essentially frozen in place and without a big blop of capital the entire world economy would have fallen apart.  Dig up some news from the fall of 2008 and read about Paulson trying to explian to the Senate why this matters. When the repubs shot it down the first time, the dow fell 400 points in 10 minutes.  Pro business my ass.

The part that burns my bacon is the banks have avoided most of the regulatory reforms that would prevent this from happening agian.

Thank you.

Hey:

Does anyone remember all of those discussions and comments that have been made when we are feeling a little under-appreciated by our adoring public and will say something like, oh; I don't know, something like "suppose they had a fire and nobody showed up" or they are talking about cuts and we have to counter with "if you cut, more people will die" or "if we don't raise more money, we may have to close"?

Well, here a fire department actually stuck to their guns and they are being skewered by some; even the national head of the IAFF. The BIG brother isn't standing behind the brothers. Oops.

Ah; you're an aficionado.

I can dig that.

But, if we're talking history, you will have to go all the way back to the third year of Reagan's second term. That's when it started to turn.

Everyone talks about a surplus. I don't recall the U.S. ever having a surplus.

But, pithy discussion, eh? 

AMEN... as noted in Art's article linked and on the IAFF.org website where IAFF issued a press release today http://www.iaff.org/Comm/PDFs/SouthFulton.pdf ...

"International Association of Fire Fighters General President Harold Schaitberger today issued the following statement on the September 29 fire in Obion County, Tennessee:

“The decision by the South Fulton Fire Department to allow a family’s home to burn to the ground was incredibly irresponsible . . . . We condemn South Fulton’s ill-advised, unsafe policy."

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/05/2279115/fire-fighters-condemn-..."

That's great that Schaitberger spoke out about the issue...just why did it take him a week to do so?

iaff.org refers to them as professional career fire fighters

doing research and fact gathering?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service