What was the most embarassing moment you've had in the fire service. Mine came recently. I was helping out another dept in the area after tornados had hit, I was riding in the rear seat on the first out engine to a structure fire. Well we get on scene and I go to get out of the engine and not being used to that engine I missed the step and landed flat on my backside. Of course ther were a couple of dozen people to see my graceful fall, they were out cleaning up after the tornados. I got up, put on my SCBA and made a beeline for the interior of the house. I'm sure that everyone has had moments when they wanted to crawl away and hide, or at least get inside of a burning structure to hide their embarassment.

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was on an 1.5 line at a barn fire. I was standing on a round bale and the farmer was using a tractor to pull out the burning bales, he was moving out and low & behold there was 2 of my guy's with a 2 1/2 pointed straight at me, it went up my leg into the junk , then it took off my mask for me, just befor it threw me off the bail. 2 of my guy's took me around to rehab. were I tried not to explain it to the medics...
For me i was working fire rescue at the county fair at the bump and run this is like a nascar road course on dirt wear its legal to spin out the other drivers anyway we had a car roll over myself and the other firefighters took off to asst the driver so I'm running toward the car and my feet got going faster than the rest of me and i fell flat on my face luckily for me none of the other firefighters saw me but i cant say the same for the 300 to 400 people standing on the hill watching the event but like any good firefighter i got back up and finished the rescue well i thought nobody in the firefighter area saw me. until i looked over at my wife.. she could hardly breathe
I will just say this to preserve a little pride. Structure fire, 24 degrees, concrete pavers, and a rookie decides to hit the electrical weatherhead with an 1 1/2, although I was a good ways away when this happened, I can tell you from experience(spell?) that all the PPE in the world does not keep a human body from bouncing when trying to move quickly in these conditions.
About that..
Also on that introduction course, I was talking about earlier, we had some SCBA training with live fires (not a part of the course, but we had some spare time)..
The instructor made it very clear, that we had to remove all jewelry, piercings and anything else made of metal..
The only girl on the team just forgot one thing - Her bra was one of those with a metal-thingy underneath (no idear what's that called in english - google says it called underwire)..
Anyway, she ended up having a thin line of 2. degree burns under each breast..

So sometimes it's better to forget the bra, than to remember it!
Well mine was my first call back in 75 i was a young lad cold feb night and the station floor was wet from the other guys coming in to put ppe on and i slid on the floor and crashed in the chairs at the back of the station so from that day on i walk in the station
Back in january we were heading back from a structure fire and went to get fuel. It was a balmy -20 or so outside, and of course..water makes ice! So i went to take a mask off my pack and put it up in the rack in the back seat of our pumper. So i stand on the board, put it up, went to get back IN to the truck and low and behold, when i swung my leg up into the truck (Had my bunkers on still) my other foot slipt. So! I went ass over band box out of the truck, and flat on my back. And WHILE trying to grab on to something, i managed to grab the strap to a pack and BAM came the back down onto my chest.

Months after, finnaly warmer out.

The truck door open on our engine on the way to a fire, so, me being the youngest of the batch, and it being on my side, i jump out to close it at the intersection. I jump out and run back, And boy did i forget to hit the latch first. I went to drive that thing home and i got the edge of the door right down the center of my face. So i hit the latch, nose hurting, and the blood just starts POURING out of my nose, onto the ground, the truck, and onto my hood. Got back in the truck, eyes all watering, hoping no one saw, and putting my sock over my nose. Horrible..horrible day..
Pulling out of the fire house before the door was completly open OPPPPPPs
Mine was on a mutual aid call for a structure fire, after arriving on scene I had all my gear...except... my helmet.
Just creating easier access. LOL.....
I'll have to remember that....they have never mentioned that in any of our practice burns!!! And, that had to be painful!!!! OUCH!!!

Stay safe!!!
MINE WAS BEING LOST AS A ROOKIE ON A HUGE WILDLAND FIRE SCENE, AWAY FROM THE RADIO AND BEFORE I KNEW IT OPERATIONS STOPPED AND I HAD MULTIPLE DEPT'S LOOKING FOR ME INCLUDING A BIRD....AND ONCE THEY FOUND ME I GOT THE BIGGEST BUTT CHEWING YOU EVER SEEN FROM OUR RETIRED CHIEF...YA EVERYONE HAS BRAIN FARTS..LOL
Bet you never got " lost" again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service