In Fairmont MN a LEO and a good samaritan were shot and and another person was found dead. The officer and the civilian were first responders to a house fire.

FAIRMONT, Minn. — Police in southern Minnesota say an officer and Good Samaritan were shot while responding to a house fire, and a third person was found dead nearby.

Fairmont police said in a news release that the officer was the first to arrive at the scene of Tuesday night's fire. They said the Good Samaritan was helping the officer when both were shot. Both have been hospitalized.

Police said that during the course of their investigation, a third person was found dead near the residence. Police did not say how that person died.

Police did not release any additional details about the fire or the shooting, including the victims’ names. However, they said they do not believe there is any further danger to the community..

How would your dept handle this situation?

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Honestly, I don't really know that there's much a department can do. I personally believe that it would be unreasonable to have police secure the scene of every incident that we respond to before we determine that it's safe to proceed. I suppose that situational awareness is key. It's a shame to say, but there are nutcases out there. Unfortunately, this guy was one of them.
Bassed on the information provided we would stand by at a safe distance until Police deemed the area safe and allowed us to enter the area. I am sure in most circumstances if police where already on scene they would have secured the area and would not allow anyone in until they deemed it safe. It would not be wise to add more Targets for this individual to use for practice
And on another note. Did I see John leave a smile on his post? And we agree on something for a change. We should mark this on the calendar. LMAO
Stage, see if there was a way to get the victims out safely to start treatment.

If there's anyway possible, I'm not going to let a cop sit out and bleed to death without trying to get to him. Same would go for other victims. Not saying I would run out and grab them, but backing the engine in, using it as a shield or something.
Let's see if I got this right... you are responding to a working structure fire, you know that you have an officer and civilian down, you have a shooter and you want to know how my department would handle this... gee, this is a no brainer...

• I did not cause the fire or incident to occur.

• As a firefighter, there is nothing in my contract that says I have to deal with someone firing a gun at me or my crew.

• This is what LEO's get paid the big bucks for...

• I am truly sorry that someone has been shot and could die but... life's a bitch sometimes and there is no way in hell that I would put my crew or myself in harms way until the incident is stabilized by law enforcement.

• I have no problem with the term "STAGING". This is all about safely parking my engine a distance away, or at least far enough away to not be a target and again, let the SWAT team boys have at it, and trust me, they live for stuff like this.

At least, that's how I see it...

CBz
Amen... We DON"T go into any situation until we are cleared by the Fuzz! Personal safety is #1
Take care of the gun first. If the fire department is shot up how much fire is going to be put out. Do they have bullet proof turnout gear on hand? If the bad guy is in the structure they will be delt with soon enough by the fire.
PD clears the scene. If people are being shot at the location it's not your job to do anything ,fire suppression or EMS until PD has done their job by making sure the area is safe to the best of their ability for you to work. The safety of yourself and your crew always come first over anybody else at that scene.
Aw Mike, you beat me to it. I've been reading all of these "heroic" scenarios being posted and couldn't believe the lack of common sense being shown.

Fire apparatus are huge bullet magnets. The bad guys like to shoot at people who can't shoot back. Firefighters are easy targets, and turnout gear is bullet absorbant! Stay safe!
Thanks for weighing in CBz I agree I would stage too and wait to get the all clear. I am glad a lot of people are saying stay back and let LE handle it. When I first read this I thought this has got to be a fluke 1 in a 1,000,000 type deal but if you google it you will be suprised at what you find. I know someone earlier said I have never heard of this happening so Im not going to worry about it. But if there are people willing to steal fire trucks who knows what else they are willing to do.
not a fluke...

did you read my post on another thread about me being met with a man holding a gun to my chest... telling me the FD would NOT be welcome to put out his house fire... because he lit his house on fire to burn out his wife... who was inside where she was held up because she locked him out of the house... and she did not want come out...

and my brother-in-law was issued a bullet-proof vest and required to wear it on his ambulance service in Oregon - since they are shot at regularly - and have a slew of bullet holes in their rigs
To err on the side of safety means that you have a much better chance of going home the next morning so you can listen to your wife tell you about all the things your kids did, followed by taking out the trash, mowing the lawn and thanking the dear Lord that you are still on this planet...

CBz

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service