Well I just started a new Volli House and during a LP gas burn training the other night, I pulled a old school and put my mask on last and pulled the nomex on first. So the nomex was not going over the mask if you follow what I am saying. So here is the discussion what do you guys out in the world do? Is it quicker to put the mask on last?

Views: 3393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I put the nomex on over my head down around my neck. Then I put my mask on, pull the staps to get the proper fit. After that I pull my nomex over the mask to cover the webbing and straps and the exsposed rubber. That way you don't feel the heat from the rubber seal and stand a chance of getting a heat burn from the rubber. I don't think I missed anything. That's the way I was taught and trained to properly don our gear.
Most people are taught that the hood goes over the mask. I suppose that it really makes no difference if you are able to get a good seal. This however, should be confirmed with both mask and hood on a qualitative fit testing machine to make sure that you really are getting a true seal.
Like Warshaw and the Bigshow said your hood goes on as soon as you get your bunker pants on. Put your hood on and bring it down around your neck, than your coat. When you put your mask on and tighten the straps all you have to do is pull your hood up over your head to cover the mesh and/or straps.
I put on the mask then hood. You want a verry good seal so you dont lose valuable air.
I put my hood on and pull it down around my neck then put the mask on and then pull the hood back on so it covers both my head and part of the mask.
My hood goes on after my mask but before my coat.
Here's a trick of the trade I've used for many years...we pin the back flap of the hood into the inside back of the the turnout coat, so as you put your coat on, you automatically pull the from flap and hood on around your next. Then as you button up, you've got your coat, collar and hood on as an ensemble, tightly closed up.
When needed, you place your mask on, cinch up on the straps and then pull the hood up over the mask webbing/straps and your done....The key safety issue is hood-over your mask webbing and straps....
i put hood on then coat and fold hood over collar and then mask and pull up hood..
Here's how we do it! nomex pulled over head around neck, mask is doned on, nomex is pulled up over the mask, coat on over after that, this way the nomex is not pulled up by your neck! then helmet of coarse. Once all doned! we check each other out to be sure that we are all secure, and off we go! So basically! Nomex, and then Mask, Just don't forget to pull your nomex up over the mask! good luck!

Lieutenant Wanda Drummond
Sangerville Fire
Hmmm.... Bunkers with boots, then hood and then coat THEN mask....sounds like someone needs FF1 again....Paul
RorT,

Your question was simply but confusing.

If you are asking if we mask up then pick up hood off table/tailgate/tree stump and pull it over head, then no.

If you are asking if we pick up hood off table/tailgate/tree stump pull it over our head and covering it then mask up, no again.

Finally if you are asking, and I believe you are, if we pick up hood off table/tailgate/tree stump pull it over our head and pull it down around our collar then mask up and pull hood back over our head and mask leaving face plate exposed, then yes.

Christopher, I might try the trick you mentioned about pinning hood to coat too, thanks TCSS
These are the procedures for donning you SCBA

Firefighter I
SCBA Donning Guidelines

Donning Guidelines PREPARATION:
1. The firefighter candidate will begin properly attired in turnout coat,
pants, and boots (hood must be on and can be pulled down around the
neck
); gloves and helmet may be placed nearby in a readily accessible
location.
Note: Protective hoods and PASS devices are required for all courses
2. The firefighter’s SCBA is to be positioned in front of the candidate and
laid on a table or on the floor (firefighter’s choice). If available, the
candidate may choose to use an apparatus-mounting bracket.
3. Donning time will be 75 seconds; the evaluator will tell the firefighter
when to start the donning tasks.
Note: If the test candidate exceeds the 75-second time limit due to an
equipment failure beyond their control, the test candidate will be
allowed to repeat that attempt.
DONNING TASKS (to be completed within the 75 second time frame):
1. Check the cylinder pressure (should be at least 90% full).
2. Open the cylinder valve completely; check the regulator and cylinder
gauge to be certain they read within 100 PSI of each other.
3. Verify the operation of the low air supply warning alarm
NOTE:If your SCBA has a low pressure alarm that does not activate
when the cylinder valve is turned on and only functions when the
cylinder pressure reaches a certain low point, you must be able to
explain the alarms operation to your instructor or test station
evaluator; you will also be asked to document this with the
manufacturer’s operating manual.
4. Don the SCBA
a. Secure all straps, properly position the facepiece
b. Check the exhalation valve
c. Check facepiece seal
d. Attach low pressure tube to the regulator or attach the regulator and
air line to the facepiece-depending on the style of SCBA
e. Check donning mode switch, if present, and activate for air flow
Note: does not necessarily have to follow this order.
5. Place hood and helmet in proper position for fire ground attack and
activate the PASS Device.
Note: Protective hoods and PASS devices are required for all courses
6. Pick up your gloves; raise both hands and the clock stops

This was take from;
Michigan Fire Fighters Training Council
Fire Fighter I & II
MFFTC Instructor Orientation

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword