I have looked thru the forums but I cant find any thing about Hot/Colds Zones around fire to rescue calls can anybody help me?

Views: 7110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had a couple of these with 3 patients that were initially assumed to be a CO problem - and turned out to be cluster heroin ODs. I've also had them reported as ODs when they really were CO problems, so you never know until you assess the scene. These calls need to involve fire, EMS, and law enforcement equally, because they could be a crime scene, a hazmat scene, or just a medical problem with multiple patients. Having all three services there working together makes these scenes safer for everyone.

CBz, this kind of call is another one where there was no Warm Zone. Everything inside the structure was Hot, everything outside was Cold. On the CO calls, we just removed the occupants and vented the house, then looked for the CO source. On the heroin calls, we left the house buttoned up and wore Level C due to the white powder we didn't want to have blown around or to inhale ourselves.
I also have this question how do you know how big a certain zone is, for example you have a tanker truck with some bad chemicals leaking or on fire.
CB, I can't quote written material, that's why it's worded "teachings" Last tec b class came back with this imfo. Normally a guy would argue when changes are made, but this one just made sense. Some of this has come about because of the number of decon trucks we have in the state and trying to define hot, warm, cold was a little tough, so now the only warm zone is the truck itself. But I will do a little research to see if anything is in print.
I thinks Chief Waller's concept of whether warm zones actually exist is a good topic that many of us have wondered but just gone along with. I also plan on looking into this further and getting more clarification... Thanks for looking into this in your part of the world.
The only way to know is to monitor the entire scene with direct-reading instruments. If the product is a different temperature than ambient, you may be able to track spills and vapors with an IR thermometer and/or a thermal imaging camera. However, the IRT and the TIC can't tell you exactly how much of a chemical is present or exactly what it is.

Direct-reading instruments include atmospheric gas monitors, Drager/MSA colorimetric tube systems, Hazmat SMART tickets, some of the single-gas monitors, and PID monitors, to name a few.
a close friend of mine is an EPA OSC, I will be seeking his input here and reporting back... your comments, as usual are insightful and well thought out.

to be continued... CBz
Thanks, BZ. I'd be glad to discuss my points with your EPA contacts should they be interested.
Found out last week we have a new toy coming, direct reading remote monitor with 6 sensors to place around the zone, cost was somewhere in the range of 60 grand. Christmas in March...
The Prince George's County Fire Service, Maryland announced that all gas leaks and calls for gas leaks will have a HOT ZONE of 330 feet around the site or building. The WARM ZONE is another 330 feet and the COLD ZONE another 330 feet.
This is due to an incident where a gas leak explosion in a shopping center which cause injury to firefighters and damage to fire apparatus and the structure and surrounding bussinesses a few months ago.
The rule is that units will stop at safe distance within 330 feet, first crew on scene will dismount and walk on foot to the building or site and check the site. Other responding units will stage in the warm zone. The hot zone area will be evacuated of all citizens and evacuees will be sent to the cold zone until all operations are suspended.
They might want to rethink that. By definition, the warm zone is not hazard-free. If you're staging apparatus in the warm zone, you're staging them too close.
Toxidrome - that is the mesh cage where the post-apocalyptic gladatorial combat occurs, right? Yanno, the one with Tina Turner saying "Two men enter, one man leaves."???

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service