Hello all me and some of the guys at the station, where cleaning the station up when we found some old hip boots from like the 80's. and I was just wondering if any fire dept's out in this great country of our's is still old school. With the 3/4 boots and trench coats ?

Views: 7004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The weren't the entire problem, but bunker pants would have prevented serious burns in this situation.
Maybe I've been lucky but I've been in both sets over 41 years,about 50/50.We didn't hurry out of the "old"gear into the new. I didn't get injured(outside of some "branding") in the old ensemble but I was in a lot more working fires. I think we were smarter then,than we are today. When I say this,I mean the "older"group when I signed on were more cognizant of the fact you had to open up and get the heat out. With the new methods and gear,I don't think it has been as high a priority. Never had a flashover in the entire time we were in 3/4's,again I think due to early and aggressive venting. Now ,also during these "formative"years we were taught to sound EVERYTHING before we ventured out on it.Maybe that still taught but in this areas "new" training programs,not so much. We expect our personnel to do so much today,I think sometimes we lose sight of the core values that bring the crews back SAFE;EVERYTIME. Maybe the FOG'S(freakin' OLD guys)had it right all along. I know for fact you could get more "mileage" out of the troops in hot weather in the old stuff. We keep trying combinations of materials looking for that good match of protection,mobility and wear.Haven't found the perfect system yet.
Tim,

The burned firefighter in the incident in question was a salty old hand that routinely fought hundreds of fires per year. He sounded the floor prior to the entry, and it appeared to be OK. The floor collapsed shortly after the entry. We never did determine why the floor sounded OK but then collapsed.

The larger problem was that the entry took place over an unrecognized basement fire.

I'd also point out that until the incident in question, that particular firefighter had never sustained a major injury in the line of duty. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of what will happen on the next call.

Remember, it only takes one "first time" incident to kill you or to permenantly alter life as you know it.

I don't disagree with wearing less gear helping vent body heat, but it also allows more fire heat to directly attack the firefighter. Regardless, a full ensemble, with no skin or station uniform showing is the norm now, and it will likely stay that way. We're going to have to deal with it. Rehab early and often shold help.

Ben
The last i heard NFPA says there are no longer up to standard just like the borks
Some of our guys on the department have a set just for personal stuff, we dont use them on the department, but we have a few sets. Ive tried to find a set myself just because I think they are awesome and want to put them in my house when i buy it :)
We have a few sets around for pr and pump operations and that is about it.
No arguement,stuff happens. Been crews burned up in basement fires in the "new" gear too and modern building construction isn't doing us any favors. I'm one of the camp that favors the look twice,act once. Still doesn't exempt you from bad events. A good reminder that as hard as we try to goofproof it,this is still a VERY dangerous business.
I still use them in flooded basements. No one around me uses 3/4 boots and trench coats. I think 3/4s and trench coats may be safer then some depts. ppe in my area. They have some really old ppe can't afford new.And the state of pa bans smoking in our bingos. WHAT GIVES! Bingo is a HUGE part of fire dept. income in PA. Sorry didn't mean to get off the subject just needed to vent for a min
It would be wise to put them on your "draft truck" if you are a dept that has to draft water from lakes, creeks, etc. because they are very helpful then, as long as they are in good shape.
we use ours for water fights and grass fires.. thats about it .. otherwise we have out bunker gear.. personally i like the 3/4 boots and coat better.. less stuff to carry around and you can move easier and actually feel the heat your getting into instead of getting in to far without even knowing it and getting screwed
We used them in the Navy for dewatering. 3 or 4 pair in each repair locker. At my station now their first ppe were 3/4 boots and trenchcoats.
When I joined in the 70s the 3/4s were the thing and bunker pants and boots were for night responses. I remember responding one time on a call riding the back step wearing 3/4s and with them pulled up in a rain storm and my my pants got soaking wet before we got there and then to work that way and ride back to the station and get equipment ready again and then ride home in my POV wet.
Now one of our career members got his legs and bottom burn on a building call wearing them when everyone was wearing bunker pants and boots. He went to the burn center for a while. He returned light duty before he retired.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service