I(as a new firefighter) was just wondering about the common misconceptions and most commonly made mistakes in the firefighting field............I'm open for anyones opinion......and welcome all possible comments regarding this topic......................>Cheers<*>Jen<

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a couple girls on the dept. and they can fight fire as good as i can; give yourself some time and take your time learing and remember the more calls you get to run means the more experience you get wich over a half year or so you will know where pretty much everything is and be able to fight fire just like the older guys.
whoa...i didnt say I want to be a hero....I just think there are some ffs out there that can be called heros
I am....
Alright.....not to be rude or anything but I honestly don't appreciate the way that you seem to be judging me based on my looks.....and if I miss led you I apologize I assure you that was never my intent....I am a new firefighter I JUST got my ff.....I am not looking for attention...if I were I would go into modeling or pagents.......I do like to look my best but that does not mean that I don't dress down when I should or that that is why I am in this field...I am here to seek the advice of those whom are wiser than I.....If you dnt think I am worthy of your help then that is fine, just don't give it .....but please do not insult me
Thank you......and thank you all......I hope to do well...
I think the most common problem is Firefighters doing things that they are not trained in. This can result in injuries to yourself and others. If you are not trained in it, ask and get the training. Also I cannot preach enough about saftey, saftey, saftey. TCSS
Ask questions lots and lots of questions. And always be a team player. No freelance just as pretty much everyone else has said.
for some odd reason when I ask questions on here I get lots of advice but I also get insulted.....I think this might be the last bit of questions I ask on ffn...
Probably putting mouth in motion before putting brain in gear......slow down...look and listen....a good size up is extremely important.....Paul
I think the biggest misconception about firefighting is the "glory" of it. This job is only "glorious" for a few minutes and the rest of the time, it's working in bad weather, getting filthy and covered in a fires by-product, being covered in blood and other body fluids, and cleaning non stop. I always get tickled by some of the new folks in our department. They think that we are going to be fighting fire and saving lives non stop. I am at the station now, and all I have done this shift is 1 medical call and turned about 25 plugs. I love this job, but it's not always the way Hollywood protrays it. I think everyone has pretty much the same advice. Stay humble, try to learn, and listen to the older guys. Remember, they are OLDER for a reason. Good luck with it all. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to ask questions. That's how you learn. Some folks like to talk and act bigger than they are, so don't sweat the insults.
The most common mistake is not training.
TUNNEL VISION!! Always be aware of your surroundings. Wires down, or above, collaps zones, pressurized canisters(propane, clorine, atseteline) moving vehicles, etc, etc. There are so many dangers, as soon as you go out the door to answer a call. And always listen to your commanding officers. We've all become a little oblivious to our surroundings at times, because we tend to focus on the bigger picture. keep your guard up at all times. There's alot more going on around you than you realize. Be safe!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service