One of the best articles I have seen all year.

The Pussification of the American Fire Service

I freely admit that this post is coming from a place of anger and frustration. If you don’t like it, tough. It’s my blog, my opinion and this is not a professional, journalistic media. Get over it.

This all started yesterday when a good friend of mine, also a firefighter, posted a link to an article on his Facebook page. This link led you to an article on Fire Chief Magazine’s on-line blog that was written by a Mr. Robert Avsec. This particular blog post dealt with the recent deaths of two Chicago firefighters in a structural collapse at a  vacant laundromat located at 1744 East 75th Street. The basic premise of his post, in my opinion, was that the CFD killed Brothers Corey Ankum and Edward Stringer by conducting an offensive, interior operation for the fire located within this building. Click here to read the article and form your own opinion. I’ll wait here.

So. Whaddya think? Did you come to the same conclusion I did or am I totally off-base? If you think I’m off-base, screw-off. You’re one of the people this post is talking about. Told you I was pissed.

Turns out Mr. Avsec is a retired Battalion Chief from the Chesterfield (VA.) Fire and EMS Department. Looking up Chesterfield on the net I find that it is a county-wide, combination department that protects approximately 466 square miles and an approximate population of 311,000. Not a bad size district and a decent population. I’m sure they, and Mr. Avsec, have seen a couple fires. His article, however, leads me to question both his understanding and commitment to the job of firefighter.

Mister (I’m not even going to give him the courtesy of using his retired rank) Avsec bases much of his argument on the International Association of Fire Chief’s “10 Rules of Engagement for Structural Firefighting.” If you have not read this particular document you can click here to view it directly from the IAFC’s website. Again, I’ll be here stewing until you get back.

Interesting reading huh? What I find particularly interesting is that in the introduction of the document the IAFC authors state:

• A basic level of risk is recognized and accepted, in a measured and controlled manner, in efforts that are routinely employed to save lives and property. These risks are not acceptable in situations where there is no potential to save lives or property.
  • A higher level of risk is acceptable only in situations where there is arealistic potential to save known endangered lives. This elevated risk must be limited to operations that are specifically directed toward rescue and where there is a realistic potential to save the person(s) known to be in danger.

Huh! A certain level of risk is accepted when life could be in danger. Kinda like when there is an abandoned laundromat on fire that has had the gas and electric shut off for years (hence no chance for an accidental ignition), previous fire and EMS runs have made the first-due companies aware that homeless people use this area, and this building in-particular, for shelter, the companies find board-up materials removed in the rear and a door standing open. The only possible argument is the last line in the second bullet point, “where there is a realistic potential to save the person(s) known to be in danger.” But that is only an argument that would be made by those of you on the no-risk bandwagon. The rest of us, those that signed up for the job of firefighter and not that of fire chief/risk manager, would say, in a Chicago accent here, “Ay, if ‘dere ain’t anyone out front pointin’ and yellin’ ‘den I guess we godda go in and make sure ‘dere ain’t anyone in ‘dere.” That’s our job, you bunch of pansie-ass fuck-sticks! You do not simply pull up on a structural fire and automatically write-off the building and any life that may or may not be present simply because the building is abandoned! Period. You pack of assholes. <Exhale>

Rather than keep writing as I get more and more irritated all over again, I am going to post something that was a reply to Mr. Avsec’s article. I think the author of this comment summed it up pretty well. Have at it:

“Bob, I don’t know why your post doesn’t show up here but I feel compelled to comment. I don’t know you, your rank, your department or your experience so I could be commenting on someone who is a chief of a large metropolitan department with 30 years experience, I don’t know. BUT, your article in “support” of the Chicago brothers showed this support by questioning every action of the CFD and, in my opinion, blaming the CFD as a whole for their deaths based upon their operating procedures or your misinformed, lack-thereof.
Firstly, CFD does have SOG’s regarding both abandoned buildings and bow string trusses. I am not a member of CFD but do have friends and other contacts in the CFD. According to both them and published reports, SOG’s for both these types of buildings were followed.
Secondly, as you eluded to in your comment that does not show up here, the first-due companies did find a door propped open and board-up materials displaced. This lead them to believe there was a life-safety issue.
Thirdly, the first-due companies had knowledge due to previous EMS and fire runs that homeless people used the buildings in this area, and this building in particular, for shelter.
Fourth, and I will argue this to the day I die (hopefully not in a fire event in an abandoned building), abandoned buildings do not set themselves on fire. Especially those with electric and gas services shut off.
Fifth and in conjunction with the above point, our job is entirely based upon life safety followed by property conservation. I am in 100% agreement that property conservation is in no way worth anyone’s life or well-being. Especially a building such as the one on East 75th. However, life safety, in my own opinion, is. As you pointed out in your article, we risk ourselves when people or callers are telling us someone is still in the building. In the absence of those bystanders or callers it is up to US, the firefighters who willingly take on a dangerous job, to ensure that everyone is out. This responsibility is not predicated upon what type of building the event is taking place in.
Sixth, the “accepted risk/benefit practices, such as the IAFC’s 10 Rules of Engagement for Structural Firefighting” is great for “writing off” buildings and even lives in buildings involved in fire to the point where no reasonable expectation of viable life exists or that the fire is so far advanced that it is not worth the risk of offensive operations. Neither of these conditions existed at this scene. In case you missed it this was a one-line fire that was extinguished and overhaul begun in under 20 minutes. 
The last point I would like to make is a personal one and it also is in regards to the “accepted risk/benefit practices, such as the IAFC’s 10 Rules of Engagement for Structural Firefighting”. This is a dangerous profession. I will not risk my life unnecessarily for a life or a building that is lost. However, the problem with these “rules of decision making” is that they use static flow-charts to try and control a dynamic and unique environment. You need only look at the annual Firehouse Magazine Hero’s edition for proof. If you read those snippets of actions taken by firefighters from around the country the ones that are recognized the highest are usually for those involving great personal risk that resulted in the saving of a life or, at the least, giving that life the greatest chance at being saved i.e. the rescue was effected but the person succumbed anyway. How many of those simply would have added to another fire fatality statistic had the “model” been employed?”

Damn, wish I would have said that <wink>.

Over the last few years it seems to me that the American Fire Service has suddenly lost any form of balls it once had. Our fire chiefs came up, pulled down our zippers, yanked off our junk and threw them in their collective purses. Yes, I said it, and I’ll say it again, fire chiefs. In general you won’t find too many firefighters who think they should not encounter any risk in the performance of their jobs. Evidently our chiefs do. Do not get me wrong. I will not risk my own life or safety for a life that is already lost or a building that has nothing left to save (sounds kinda familiar, almost like that was written somewhere else). I will, however, gladly and to the best of my ability and last of my strength risk my life in an attempt to save another human being’s life. And yes, even if I don’t even know if that human being is even in there or not.

Another good friend of mine spent nearly a month in the burn unit after he was caught in a “rapid progression fire event.” He and his partner were searching the top floor of a Chicago brownstone for kids that were reported trapped. The fire had originated on the rear porch, a “Chicago lumberyard” as they are known. While my buddy and his partner were in the front room the rear door failed due to the fire, the fire rushed down the common front-to-back hall, into the living room where they were located and out the front, large, picture window that had been ventilated during their search. My buddy’s partner was able to roll behind a couch and pull it on top of him and suffered only a couple minor burns. My buddy, on the other hand, was directly underneath the picture window when the “freight-train of fire”, to use his words, blew over the top of him and briefly enveloped him. Pain, disability, skin grafts, infections, rehab and 9 months later he was back to work. Oh, and those kids they were looking for? Not there. They were down the block at a relative’s house and the other occupants of the building didn’t know. Does that mean that my buddy and his partner should not have been there? Does that mean that they essentially burned themselves? If you answered “yes” to either of those, fuck-off. Do I make myself clear?

The job of firefighter is inherently dangerous and may require us at any moment to put ourselves at great risk. Not carelessly, not recklessly, not without a real justification. What I think has happened in recent years is that those situations that are truly justified have been narrowed to such a fine focus that many in today’s fire service, such as Mr. Avsec, would only advocate the risk of a firefighter when there is stone-sober, MENSA member standing in the front of the fire building, pointing to a specific window, with a blueprint of the building and a personal guarantee that nothing bad will happen. Bullshit.

Ok, I need to go have a snort of something and calm down. While I’m doing that why don’t you go over to Chris Brennan’s page at “Fire Service Warrior” here and read his post entitled, “Quit Telling Me to Change My Culture.” He writes a good article and you won’t have to be subjected to all the profanity and negativity I just bombarded you with.

Until the next thing pisses me off,

Stay Safe!

Hallway Sledge

Views: 1872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there. I'm Hallway Sledge. Yup, him. Either the good guy or the goat, depending on your point of view. Ok, here goes.

First to Sen Brooks. Sean, if you took a second to look at my site and read my introductory post you would read the need for anonymity. Stones, glass houses brother.

Second, as I stated in the opening of my "article" (I told you guys not to look at this as a journalistic piece. This is my opinion) I was angry and frustrated. It's my blog, my right.

As for the title and the language, I meant no disrespect to our sisters although I acknowledge the negative connotation of using the slang for a female body-part as being equivalent to weak. Nonetheless it is a crude but regularly used figure of speech and a term that has been used in firehouse conversations in the past about the general state of the American fire service. Call the risk managers and lawyers and get a sensitivity training scheduled ASAP. Let me make this clear, I have no problem with ANY firefighter of ANY gender, color or creed so long as they can perform the job fully and drag my butt out if something happens. Oh, and the language, see my second point above.

To both Sean and Ben Waller, again, I am not advocating blind head-long charges into buildings. I am advocating doing our jobs. In the absence of any information to the contrary and with tenable conditions being presented it is our job to ensure everyone is out. Oh, and Ben, the argument of Courage vs. Cowardice is not being made by me, nor is it chest thumping (I know, you never use neither without nor and vice versa, oh well). What I am saying, and what Mr. Avsec was advocating, was purely the employment of a model to make decisions when lives may be in danger. In my opinion, there is no model out there that can possibly be used to apply to every building, every fire, every situation. My reading and understanding of Mr. Avsec's article was that he was preaching precisely that. And that answers my argument to your argument of Courage vs. Intelligence. That is exactly what I am advocating by using your noodle and experience as a firefighter, regardless of rank, to look at a situation and perform an appropriate action. Not to employ a model as a blanket fix as Mr. Avsec was postulating.

As far as the "you're wrong" statements I made. You're wrong. Hah, howdoyoulikethat? Just kidding, really. Let me see if I can better state this with a calmer head (oh, and yes I know you are not supposed to e-mail or blog while angry. Again, my blog.). I personally believe you are wrong if you pull up on a building involved in fire with evidence that there MAY be someone in the building and you decide to go defensive solely based upon the fact that is an abandoned building. Obviously I do not advocate sending firefighters into a building that is clearly lost as well as any lives that may be inside, and I think I stated that clearly in my post. Oh, and Ben, I never, ever, said anything about looking at "flashed over windows" (whatever those are, are they similar to double-hungs?) and not be able to write those lives off. You're twisting my words or using your own commentary. I have been a paramedic my whole career and have "written off" more people than I care to think about.

Which leads me to Jim's comment; I got nuthin'. I'm not sure what you are confused about. See if this helps. If I pull up on a building and flame is blowing from every window in every division and there is someone on the sidewalk yelling and screaming that someone or something is in there. Sorry, nothing we can do. If I pull up on the same building and it's been known to be vacant but a neighbor says he saw some kids go in and then the fire started but he didn't see them come out, then yes, as long as conditions are judged to be tenable (using that fancy risk modeling) I would commit myself to a search. I'm not sure where I contradicted myself but I hope that explanation helps.

Ok, circular arguments. Your explanation was so circular I was lost Benny-boy. Maybe I'm simple minded, not one of those MENSA members. I never said the CFD brothers HAD to be inside and that they HAD to be searching. If my statements somehow led you to believe that then I remain unapologetic. I can infer some things from your statements as well but they may not be accurate. I have a personal opinion as to what caused the collapse which I will not share because it is a painful one and one which could be used to further damn the CFD in many people's eyes.

I can't find who exactly made the statement about obviously deteriorated buildings because every time I navigate away from this page to look at comments I loose all of mine and I'm getting tired of "copy/pasting". But, in answer to that. I think the answer is obvious but the employment of the solution is not. The answer is if you pull up and you see holes rotted through the roof, walls bowing out, missing brick or blocks etc. then you don't go in. Now the employment. What do you do when you see the woman in the upper floor window of that building and she disappears into the smoke? Is she dead? Is it not worth the risk? I dunno. I'd have to be there and in that moment using all available information at my disposal to make the "go, no go" decision. I would say, again, that a blanket statement of a cut-and-dried defensive operation on a building in that state is exactly what I'm arguing against.

For the last one, mostly because I have to go feed my kids dinner, about what about my family? I'm getting tired of repeating myself. I will not and do not take unnecessary risks. I put the health and welfare of my family at the absolute forefront of my life. That being said, I signed up for a dangerous profession, willingly. My wife knows the risks and has already seen me injured to the point of requiring surgery and 7 months off work once. Believe me, she knows. My kids are way too young at this point. While I liked the rest of your comments, from what I can remember, that one kinda got to me. There isn't one of us who doesn't know what could happen but it won't prevent me from doing something that needs to be done. Again, read the Firehouse Heroes issue for prime examples.

Ok Brothers and Sisters (even the Sisters I pissed off), I'm done. I am not going to engage in a back-and-forth after posting this. I'm no one in the fire service. A guy that decided to write to get stuff off his chest, that's it. I do not proclaim to know everything or have all the answers. I do not have a problem at all with people that disagree with me, after all, if everyone did I'm pretty sure it would be a sign of the apocalypse. I'm just not going to defend something that is solely my opinion. It's a shame, in a way, the Fire Chief took down Mr. Avsec's post because it seems some of you are commenting without having read the very thing that made me so upset. Perhaps if you had you would better understand my position in my post.

Thanks EngineLadder for reposting this here.

In all sincerity and respect to everyone that commented,

Be Safe!

Hallway Sledge
That's still an oversimplification.

The other critical variable that you didn't address is the one about the pre-existing condition of the building.
If the building is in such disrepair that it is already falling apart prior to fire attacking the structural elements, we need to re-think going offensive or balls-out searches just because someone "may" be inside.

There is no flow chart that can anticipate every possible variable, but using a flow chart as a pre-fire training aid can certainly help with our decision-making process. Whether or not to conduct ANY interior operations for a working fire in a dilapidated abandoned/vacant structure should be based on a conscious and informed decision, not just "that's what we do".
Ben, wasn't the building in Chicago previously cited for poor structural building conditions and therefore a known factor? I mean the news reported the owner had been cited for holes in the roof prior to the fire occurring.
That was my understanding, and that's why I believe the "Search vs Don't Search" based solely upon possible occupants is an oversimplification of this kind of sad, and too-common circumstance.
I am all for going after a person(s) that are trapped inside, if we can... this business is dangerous. The author's pussification of the fire service has some points, and have seen departments take a hard stance with an over-emphasis on our safety is more important than the public's. I mean yes, my personal safety should be a priority for me, but just riding in a fire engine is potentially dangerous. Some fire chief's have gone so far left to the safety side, that we see, nobody on the roof its too dangerous, which leads to firefighters pushing in without good ventilation, which the new furnishings are killing brothers without good ventilation.

Unfortunately I don't know all the facts in CFD regarding this building and the information dissemination of the conditions prior to the fire. BUT this fire brings up memories of a fire that happened a while ago with a warehouse, inside arson insurance job and the PD / Fire Administration knew it was going down but the Seattle firefighters were not informed of the potential circumstances. Four brothers died at the the Mary Pang Fire. The fire exposed problems with the Seattle Fire Department's training and safety programs. Fire Department leaders had learned of Pang's plans weeks before and had alerted battalion chiefs to prepare for it, but they did not intervene. In the one case that went to trial, the jury held the Fire Department 75 percent responsible for the tragedy and arsonist Pang 25 percent responsible.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/206590_pang05.html

The Mary Pang fire, the Waldbaum's fire, the Worchester 6 fire, Detroit FF Harris, Houston's Capt. Burke, the Memphis Family Dollar fire, the Pittsburgh Bricelyn Street fire, the Pittsburgh Ebeneezer Baptist Church...the list goes on and on.

There are some differences in the construction, the fire development stage, and other variables, but a common thread seems to be a combination of aggressive tactics with either inadequate size-up, inadequate knowledge of the structure's layout and/or condition, and a faulty or absent risk-benefit analysis.

The other thing - sadly - that these fires have in common is that all but one of them involved multiple LODDs.
Two thumbs up!
Ok, I said I wasn't going to do this but I'm going to respond once more, and that's it. Honest injun. Uh-oh, another offensive slur.

Anyway, Ben, you are well spoken, obviously knowledgeable and probably a chief or other command officer. Let me say this one more time, I am 100% in favor of conducting safe, smart and at the same time, aggressive operations. Cutting past all the responses to comments etc. the entire basis of my "article" as people continue to call it boils down to this;

You can not, in my opinion, write off a building and any potential lives located within based solely upon the fact that it is an abandoned building. That was the basis of Mr. Avsec's article citing both Worchester and the recent Chicago incidents as examples of how going offensive on a building that was clearly abandoned got brothers killed. If you want to talk oversimplification brother, that's the example in Funk & Wagner's (on-line because I don't think they actually print dictionaries and encyclopedias and stuff anymore).

The deterioration of the building. This is Monday-morning-quarterbacking at its best. The first news reports of the building having been cited, the City suing the owner over the citations etc. didn't come out until the day after this event. How were the first-in companies supposed to know? I know what you are all screaming right now, "Preplanning and technology that uploads the preplanning to MDT's in the rigs!" Ok, and in theory I agree. We are also talking about the city of Chicago, not East Podunk. I do know that the CFD has MDT's, I know that they do company and OFI preplanning. I do not know how many of the hundreds-of-thousands of buildings in the city have been done and if that information is available on the MDT's to companies on the street. In the absence of that information and in the absence of a very obvious deterioration of the building with walls falling down etc., it is going to take some time to determine that the building might be unstable to the point of danger. This would include observations by interior crews as well as roof crews. Part of this is what my personal theory on what caused the collapse is based upon. This was a pretty quick attack and knock-down from reading reports and listening to the radio traffic. Was there sufficient time to determine that the building was pre-existently unsafe and that companies should be withdrawn once it was determined there was no life-threat? Dunno. But again, to make a blanket statement, after the fact, that "the building was unsafe to begin with and they shouldn't have been in there", is unfair.

As for your statement about Detroit. I think their system is wonderful and very proactive and definitely in the best interest and safety of Detroit's firefighters. But, again, they pull up on one of these buildings that is marked, a guy on the front lawn says he saw kids in there prior to the fire starting and they didn't come out, at least to his knowledge. The conditions are tenable. Now what? That's all I'm saying. In the absence of fire, some other form of service call perhaps, then I'd call the TRT guys and let them make the decision as to what needs to be done to make the building safe to enter. But in the presence of fire, it is a whole different ball-game. The marking systems, the risk management models, the flow-charts, whatever, are great until the situation becomes complicated. I do not believe my argument to be binary because I am trying to look at multiple situations but still basing it upon our primary role of life-safety protection.

If nothing else I am glad that something I wrote has caused such a large amount of dialogue, information sharing and thinking, even if you disagree with me. Being a huge advocate of training that's the greatest thing I could hope for.

Again, with all sincerity and respect,

Be Safe!

Hallway
Sorry, I have to call shennanigans on one of your points.

From your original article: "Thirdly, the first-due companies had knowledge due to previous EMS and fire runs that homeless people used the buildings in this area, and this building in particular, for shelter."

From your reply above: "But again, to make a blanket statement, after the fact, that "the building was unsafe to begin with and they shouldn't have been in there", is unfair." I didn't say that. You did.

What I said was "If the building is in such disrepair that it is already falling apart prior to fire attacking the structural elements, we need to re-think going offensive or balls-out searches just because someone "may" be inside."
That isn't the same thing.

If the first-due companies in this specific case had previous fire and EMS runs to this specific building and knew that it was used for shelter, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that they had a pretty good idea of just how dilapidated the building was prior to any fire damage affecting it. It doesn't tell us that they knew, for instance, that Division C had a bowstring truss roof, but if they'd been there on other FIRE runs as you stated, then it's likely that they knew both the construction and the condition.

It doesn't matter if the building department let the fire department know that they'd cited the owner for the poor condition of the building or not if the first-due companies had personal knowledge.

What makes the difference there? For buildings that are already compromised by weather/age damage, lack of maintenance, and in this case, additional damage from previous fires, there's a point when we have to understand that going inside is a potential suicide mission, regardless of the reason for going interior.

Your replies also don't answer my question about what tasks were being performed on the interior when the structure collapsed. If it wasn't search, then this entire discussion doesn't fit anything about "why we search".

Obviously, I don't have all of the information or I wouldn't be asking these questions.
They are questions that need to be asked.

That doesn't mean "never search" or "always search", but it does mean that we need to find ways to improve our decision-making in these situations and to kill fewer firefighters, especially if the structure is obviously completely boarded up or if there is evidence that the occupants have self-evacuated, as apparently happend in the case under discussion, the W6 fire, and many others.
Another common thread in all of the above - civilians rescued by the fire department in those cases - zero, as far as I can determine.
You don't know that until you go in. It's part of the job. Can't always play it safe. I'm a fireman not an accountant.
One other thing...

You use the Firehouse Herosim awards as an example of why we should continue to search with the potential for occupancy being the deciding factor. Then you go on to state that some of the victims die anyway. That sounds accurate. There are similar situations where the victims die anyway that don't make the Firehouse Heroism Awards issue.

I don't have the statistics right at hand, but I've seen statistics that show that in the vast majority of collapses, flashovers, or other LODD situations involving searches in either dilapidated structures or abandoned buildings that the victims almost always either self-rescue or die anyway.

The obvious question there is that if we rarely change the outcome, shouldn't we re-think when and why we search?

More importantly, once the search is complete, shouldn't we go defensiive rather than risking firefighters for priorities less than life safety.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service