I just wondered how many dept allow firefighters to ride on the back of brush trucks. And any thoughts you might have. Half of the depts in our county can ride on the brush trucks and the other half can not.

Views: 1571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

brush trucks once on fire ground are usually in slow 4wd mode wev been doing it for years with no problems even forest fire service
This is our old(ish) wildfire truck - called a 'Tanker' here. Can hold three in the cab, usually only two though; can hold three on the back on a rear facing seat (with belts) just at the front of the tray (the seat is under the small cover you can see, it is built as a roll-cage). We fight wildfires from the back, moving at fairly low speed. The method is terrific for grass fires, can round them up quickly at times. We will run in the black if possible, but also in the green if the wind has changed - which of course has slowed down the rate of spread making life easier as well!

Wev done it once on scene but never on the way
Nathen we have a department to are north that has that. They get stuck alot too much water. Are brush truck has ag sprayer on the front and a nozzle on each side. It works well you can control what one you use from in the cab with a toggle switch or all three. If you look you can see them it the photo I attached on the brush bar in front of the grill. I still like the booster out the window on the passenger side better though.
Attachments:
not in my dept. -- remote operated monitors work fine and are a lot safer
As a general rule, no.

People will tell you that the slow speed means it is ok. Ask a couple of firefighters from the Abiline area. Riding on a brush truck trying to cross a barrier, (ie railroad bed). Slow speed, the truck has a flat, and rolls over. Luckily, nobody was killed.

We stopped the practice of riding on wildfires unless there is a life threatening situation where it might be necessary to escape.
Our firefighters are not allowed to ride on the backs of brush trucks, engines, etc.
Is this really a conversation we are having in late 2010? Get in the dam truck or walk. As far as fighting gain/grass/brush fires on foot, my answer is get in shape. It can be done, my current department does all summer long.
I have 27 years on the job, and I'm qualified as a NWCG type II Safety Officer. I have been on hundreds of wildland fires in my career and have NEVER seen a fire that had to be fought with someone sitting/standing on the tail-broad/hose bed of a moving vehicle.
First, the NFPA doesnt write "laws" they write recommendations. As with any other NFPA recommendation you dont choose to follow; however, you may be called to the carpet on it. Sorry, I agree we shouldnt ride on our tailboards, brush trucks or engines, but I cant stand when people refer to NFPA "laws" I challenge any fire department in the nation to meet all NFPA recommendations, it cant be done...
Well, I am not affiliated with a department, but I do drive a brush truck for a private contractor. I have been fighting wild land fire for 20 years and never at any time on the fire lines has it ever been okay to ride on the back of a brush truck, or any other kind of truck for that matter. It is a serious safety issue. We lose more fire fighters to auto accidents than to about anything else, so in my opinion riding on the back of a brush truck is not really the smartest thing to do.
Notto bring this from the dead but, driver training is the key here for safty. We have a compartment we stand in for stabilty of the ff riding in the back. Please understand im not trying to change anyones mind set but there are reasons
justified to ride in the back.
I am in great shape and have walked miles when needed on a wildland fire and i enjoy it. If you have a standing grain or CRP fire or the like, and the wind is driving it with 10 to 30ft flames being on foot is by far more dangerous, you have no protection from the heat you cant move on a hill side as fast as the fire can as well as the heat that radiates up from the burnt fuel can be very intence.
I agree there are dangers with riding in the back but training(EVAP) is key, dont take the risks remember what your cargo is think safty. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I also would like to say we do not ride the tail boards and we do not ride in the back till we are on the fire ground.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service