Does the FFN understand what is happening to the FFN site?

Without "reinventing the wheel here", one of the seasoned FFN members posted the following:

"The discussions on the events in Japan are buried. There were some great discussions on Building Construction and many on tactics and equipment but they are 10's of pages back.

Between FFN 
CONSTANTLY adding *news* posts and the assorted games, caption-this and meaningless posts, anything good just gets quickly buried. I guess it could be compared to a tsunami of that crap just rolls in every day and buries the good stuff.

On the other hand, there's way more things to take serious than the slow and inevitable decline of FFN into a facebook clone. Probably only a matter of time before there's pillow fights, mafia wars and farms here on FFN."

What is causing the decline of some of the brightest minds participating on the FFN? Possibly, as the FFN staff redesign and change the format, you can see from the below example that the FFN is really trying to keep the topics varied and interesting. One key thing that you can see below is that once upon a time, there were more than just five forum choices. Is less really better?

Personally, I don't think having five choices is a good thing. As mentioned above, information and articles for important issues such as the Japan earthquake and nuclear threat are buried. 

Perhaps it's time to change the categories to enable informative posts to not get buried. Out of sight equals out of mind... Perhaps a separate window component for the games might be a good solution. Regardless, having more than five choices prevents the minimal five choices from taking up what little room the FFN provides for intelligent forum posts.

The existing format consistently has two of the five spots, sometimes more taking up the minimum (5) forum posts that are displayed. What is even more scary is that there are 22,220 replies for a forum post on Word Association and 1,018 replies to another word game. What are our priorities? 

Am I alone here? I don't think so... This profession is just that, a profession. I challenge others to raise the bar and support posts that have minimal comments. Use this site to learn more than play. Your life and others could depend on it

or,

I could be missing the obvious fact that this site is moving more toward the social side. Silly me for thinking that the FFN statement on the bottom of the page means what it says...

This site is intended for use by current and former fire, rescue & EMS professionals. 

CBz

Views: 902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Capt,

Very good post, and I agree whole heartedly. I started coming on FFN to learn, and I have learned a great deal from you and the other seasoned firefighters on this site. While I have responded on occasion to some of the more facebook style posts on here it is more to the fact that that is because it is the majority of what is here anymore. I do not start forums on this site do to my lack of experience on subjects, I do not feel that I have experience to formulate some of the more indepth posts that you and others start. I do however enjoy reading them and learning from them, even if I don't always post a comment to the fact.

Thank you to all of the guys that do post the informative and well thought out discussions on here I hope to see more in the future from all of you. By the way one way to slow the progression of these other post may be to overwhelm them with posts of substance.

Thank you

TCSS
Exellent point, Mike, and well said.
Perhaps it's time to change the categories to enable informative posts to not get buried. Out of sight equals out of mind... Perhaps a separate window component for the games might be a good solution. Regardless, having more than five choices prevents the minimal five choices from taking up what little room the FFN provides for intelligent forum posts.

Along with that could be keeping threads in their related catagory. It is easy to come on the forum and be inundated with the latest reply irregardless of the thread. Which means all these goofy "caption this" or word game posts will be at the top and thus burying other threads. Whereas if kept in their forum, they would go to the top within that forum, not the entire site.

As for the FFN "news" clips, I agree, this is something that does bury many threads. There can be so many of these clips that it takes up several pages. Yet seeminly many related news stories are submitted by members and commented on, vs the FFN clips. Perhaps these could be keptwithin their own catagory and away from the forums?
I have expressed my thanks more than once for the informative post by many of the instructors and senior officers (with expreience AND wisdom) have shared on this site. As for the news post I personally read them, however when I do that I do not go to the main topic list as the News Forum has its own section. Over the last 9 months or so I have been coming to this site less and less for no other reason than the valuable information does not seem to be flowing as it once did.

Personally I have nothing againt main stream social networking sites, no I dont have a facebook , but if you want to "play the games" isnt that why sites like myspace and facebook, even FFN have groups?

Ah, why bother Im sure this will be buried under a post from 2009 about a pressing matter like what do you put in you pockets or on your helmet.
Very well said !!!! Thats all I have to say about that........
Constant change is here to stay.
Very Good Olivia. Just saved me countless.. well minutes trying to figure out what to say about all this. You nailed it! I too have been coming here less and less.. which is sad. These sites are really my last ditch effort to remain in tune with the fire service, and I can clearly see I am losing yet another battle within the service that has been my entire reason for being.
I hope it changes again..for the better this time.
In terms of business, FFN has to decide who it wants as its major audience: firefighters looking for and to share information about the job or; everybody else. (my morning coffee is kicking in, I have to go now and take my morning FFN.)
Ralph, S&S? Slip and Slide?

[Also, my bad, in my earlier reply I should have said firefighters/EMS, didn't mean to exclude Ralph or anyone that is primarily EMS]
I'm just as guilty as the next about participating in some of the frivilous caption this or word association posts . . . they are good sometimes to just have a little fun and have a break from thinking too hard.

But, and this is a big BUT, I have noticed the decline of some of the heavy hitters contributing informative articles and advice. (I haven't seen Jake Fireman here in along time).

What can be done to combat this? I understand FFN's position about trying to attract people en mass to populate this site (as with any bureauracy it's the numbers that matter most, not the substanance).

It seems like most of the important topics have already been discussed ad nauseum and when a new member brings it up without properly searching through the archives they get shot down. I do agree that spending a little time to research what is already here is good I also don't think it hurts to start a new topic on a subject that had 300 replies a year and a half ago. Things change, member here come and go so starting a fresh discussion to me is what can help bring new life to this sight.

Just my thoughts . . .
You know Ralph... there is that possibility that the FFN has become very much ADHD. The problem is that some folks reading this post will see the abbreviation "ADHD" and not really QUESTION what it means. In fact, the chances are pretty good that most will not take the time to QUESTION what the abbreviation stands for. As an instructor, I would like to shed some light on the subject but again, fire service instructors dealing with male firefighters compared to female firefighters have their hands full trying to get the guys attention. So, considering that most folks won't even read what I just said, you have to think like a teacher and do something to get their attention.

Maybe even using a photograph like this just to help the guys focus so no one gets left behind... Note: Attention photo is non-gender biased.

ADHD Basics:

The symptom categories of ADHD in children yield three potential classifications of ADHD

1. predominantly inattentive type
2. predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type
3. combined type if criteria for both subtypes are met

Predominantly inattentive type symptoms may include:

•Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
•Have difficulty maintaining focus on one task
•Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something enjoyable
•Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new or trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
•Not seem to listen when spoken to
•Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
•Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
•Struggle to follow instructions.

Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type symptoms may include:

•Fidget and squirm in their seats
•Talk nonstop
•Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
•Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, and story time
•Be constantly in motion
•Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities.
and also these manifestations primarily of impulsivity
•Be very impatient
•Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences
•Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turns in games

Most people exhibit some of these behaviors, but not to the degree where such behaviors significantly interfere with a person's work, relationships, or studies.

Symptoms may persist into adulthood for up to half of children diagnosed with ADHD. Estimating this is difficult as there are no official diagnostic criteria for ADHD in adults. ADHD in adults remains a clinical diagnosis. The signs and symptoms may differ from those during childhood and adolescence due to the adaptive processes and avoidance mechanisms learned during the process of socialization.

A 2009 study found that children with ADHD move around a lot because it helps them stay alert enough to complete challenging tasks.

Learn something new everyday... or at least every other day... :D

CBz
Understanding the basics of helmet, turnout and engine colors, and all the other traditional posts we see is indeed a standard here on the FFN. Where I have concern, which developed after I noted the radiation from Japan heading our way, was that nobody expressed any interest... not their problem... this has totally blown my mind. Are we that myopic?

Firefighter's don't wait to the last minute to deal with a situation. As often as possible, depending on intel/sitrep, we (firefighters) take advantage of information and adapt our preplans and SOG's to work as efficiently and effectively as possible to mitigate whatever hits us.

Is this what we are doing? Nope... FFN membership should be taking advantage of the site, asking every and all questions pertaining to how to deal with hazmat / radiological emergencies for starters.

I challenge anyone reading this post to Stop Dumbing Down the FFN, stop playing games and use this site to help each other, not entertain yourself because you are bored... Remember, the FFN membership has the power to determine which link/post they select. We only have five available slots for active forum posts. Be responsible and select posts that will help others.

CBz

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service