what do you think of this i find it offensive to our profession/ hobby or what ever you want to call it. i first saw it at the local grocery store on a cashier and i was disgusted, to me the maltese cross and star of life are sacred symbols of what we do and should not be altered just to sell clothes to the counterculture of society, to replace the hydrant and ladder with a rose and assult rifle is obscene if you agree with me please go to their website and let them know how you feel

chicagosuicideclub.com

Views: 523

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont Bother Me

And as a metal-lover, kinda looks bad ass to me
i started this discussion to see if anybody shared SOME of my feelings about the jacket . nobody has to agree with me
and some of you dont thats ok with me, but some recent posts have become nasty ,because i used a word they didnt like .
if you dont like what i say then dont reply, or at least reply in a professional and respectful nature i may not be a paid professional , i do consider myself a professional i take being a firefighter very seriously maybe too seriously just ask my family . but i have fun at what i do and i treat everyone i write or chat with here with the same respect i expect from everyone who reads my opinions,comments and ideas.
Steve First I agree on your post. For those of you say this does not bother you. Shame on on you. While the history of the Maltese cross goes deeper than what is listed below. It still carries the same meaning. While there is several designs of this cross. None is of the design that represents what we do. For someone to take this and disgrace the cross as this is shameful and disrespectful to the meaning of what we stand for.

History of the Maltese Cross

The Badge of a Fire Fighter is the Maltese Cross. The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection and a badge of honor. Its story is hundreds of years old.

When a courageous band of crusaders known as The Knights of St. John fought the Saracens for possession of the holy land, they encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple, but horrible device of war. It brought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the cross.

As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracens would hurl a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive; others risked their lives to save their brothers-in-arms from dying painful, fiery deaths.

Thus, these men became our first Fire Fighters and the first of a long list of courageous men. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each hero a badge of honor - a cross similar to the one fire fighters wear today. Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on a little island in the Mediterranean Sea named Malta, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross.

The Maltese Cross is our symbol of protection. It means that the Fire Fighter who wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a Fire Fighter's badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder's rung away from death.

How many of you know what the 8 points represent on the Maltese Cross? The one we use Or even knew that the points had a meaning?
Is it a spoof t-shirt like "I fight what you fear" or "Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet" or does anyone know where this originated from....Is this a station or company logo shirt?
I would hope this is not a station logo.

What does "I fight what you fear" have to do with changing the cross design?
Dave,

Some people are out to make money of us... seen that post 9-11. Hence goofy ass logos with the maltese cross or star of life. I have a bucket load of mottos that I am sure I could have printed but I think all of those shirt designs/logos or mottos are UNPROFESSIONAL to all of us.

I was asking if anyone knew if this was a shirt for sale?
I said the shirt did not bother me. Do I think it is tasteless, yes. Would I buy one, no. The people that made the shirt are wanting people to get upset and maybe even get a small tidbit on the evening news so thier sales will go up. I think some of us have shirts and bumper stickers just as tasteless like FETC quoted "Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet" or the very classy "My time, my gas just to save your a**" and "Be safe sleep with a firefighter".
Ok..........Hold on here........Just where and how did the logos come into play here?

This post is about defacing or changing of the Maltese Cross, the meaning of what we represent. Not Logo's being tasteless / unprofessional.

But sense you folks brought this into this. Lets talk about it. I fully agree that these logo's are tasteless to our profession rather your a volunteer or paid. I can't think of any of those I would want to sport around.
I'm with Sarah! There's a lot worse things making the Fire Service look bad than some stupid generic hoodie. It doesn't appear to be affiliated with the Chicago F.D. so I'm not really bothered by it.
yes the shirt is for sale i dont know of where it can be purchased in my area but the company does have a website and i did post it at the bottom of my original post
i purposely did not set up a link to it incase someone thought i was promoting the clothing line

personaly i do not find the big johnson or co-ed naked or simular shirts offensive, yes they may be outdated
in todays society but they are attempts at crude humor, now isnt / werent there some inside jokes in the fire service that could be considered tasteless by the general public, its one thing to express sexual inuendo with a fire hose but not to promote suicide with symbols that indicate life saving and life safety
On a side, somewhat ironic note while I was checking this thread I noticed a link to the side for "offensive tee's"
I myself just look at it as being someon elses train of thought on a shirt... ..When I wear my firefighter shirts I know what it means to me... What people see when looking at it may mean something different......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service