Hey gang. Just wondering how many of you are equipped with a PSS, not just rope, but the entire package, harness, friction device, etc.
What's the make/model?
Who purchased it for you, the department/city or did you have to purchase it yourself?
If you purchased it yourself, was there any pushback from others on the department or possibly your employer?
If the city/department purchased it for you, what did you have to do to get these? What information did you bring forward?

I'm asking because we are working on at least being allowed to carry ropes (at this point we are told if we use ropes to bail we are on our own, the city will not support us because they were not department issue), but many of us would like to see each of us or at least our SCBA's outfitted with a PSS.

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great post and a very important one. Train and train and train, but the more steps you have to go through or follow in order to save yourself, the more chances there are of forgetting something... using the hook, planting it and going just seems so much easier.
First, I need to apologize and eat some crow. I have been an advocate of bail out for over ten years. I have used mini 8, mini racks, munter hitches and body rappels. I have been fairly comforatble with all of them at some point and was very comforatble with what I personally carried. To me the was the most important thing. However, there was always the fear of letting go of the rope and falling or slipping. I recently went through the EXO instructor course, wow. After going out the window over 50 times in three days, I am sold. There is no apprehension or fear of screwing up. Thanks to the FDNY and Petzl for a great system. I know it is exensive, but mine is on order already. If you screw up and let go, you just hang there until you get reoriented or rescued. This is an extremely well thought out and well designed system. We had one of George's Brothers helping in the class. He gave us insight into the design and history of the system that further sold me on the system as well as making me scared of some of the other systems out there due to the FDNY tests. Thanks George and crew. I was a naysayer from the start, I am a convert and a whole hearted backer of the EXO system.
Thankyou for passing on to others your personal experience with the rest of the brothers, I'm sure it will help get the word out.
George Grammas, L-102
PSS Unit FDNY BOT

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service