CHIEF BILLY GOLDFEDER
FirefighterCloseCalls.com, Reprinted with Permission

While naturally, no one can yet determine if it will be declared federally as an official LODD, we have been advised that a Fire Explorer in West Haven (CT) was killed after he was struck by an SUV, as he was going to a car crash run on Monday. The Fire Explorer was 14 year old Ralph Russo of West Haven.

Russo was riding his bike with a friend when they reportedly headed to a dispatched car crash, when Russo was tragically struck by a Jeep. Efforts to save his life were not successful and he died from his injuries. Russo was a middle school student and a part of the Fire Explorer program in West Haven. The SUV driver involved was obeying all traffic laws and is not facing any charges.

This appears to be a very tragic accident involving a fine and wonderful community minded teenager who loved many things-including his role at the WHFD. And while the issue of LODD/non-LODD is an emotional one, you will remember the case of Junior Firefighter Chris Kangas from Brookhaven, Pennsylvania, who lost his life in what appears to be a similar fashion, just a few years ago. That claim as an LODD was denied by PSOB...but has been challenged and is now in the hands of the Courts. Here are some detailson that incident.

The issue and definition of what an LODD is, and what it is not, is dependent upon who you ask. At first glance it seems clear, but it isn't. For example, the PSOB folks at DOJ, who are the bottom line as far as benefits, have their definitions. Furthermore, the NFPA has their definitions of an LODD, while the USFA and NFFF have theirs. And at the local level, there are also diverse local definitions.

There are many "Junior" members who play an important role in providing service much the same as there are many very "Senior" members, who as active members of their FD, also play critical roles locally....all whose services are very important. All good people wanting to help.

Personally, we see a significant difference in various, yet all tragic LODD's, as examples:

• A member losing their life while attempting the search or rescue of trapped victims at a fire.
  • A member being ejected because they chose to not wear their seat belt.
  • A member driving who blows a red traffic signal/stop sign.
  • A member lost in an unoccupied structure that was a write off upon their entry.
  • A member working out and having a heart attack.
  • A member lost during a fire training burn.
  • A member struck while operating on a scene...as well as the many other LODD's (which these all are) that fall on all ranges of the wide scale of definition.

Don't read into this -- these are all horrible losses of wonderful people who just wanted to help-and are all LODD's as defined by most.

The one thing that is clear and well defined is that these are terrible, local-duty related losses to those who knew/loved them ...and those who are left behind. The PSOB folks and the Courts will figure out the rest. What we can do-especially at the local level, is to take the action at all rank levels (Chief to Probie) to PREVENT the need for the LODD/Non-LODD debates...meaning to take local action to eliminate the unnecessary LODD's.

We will never eliminate all LODD's because sometimes, as sad as it sounds, Firefighters must, on rare occasion, lose their lives in heroic manners. Sometimes we get killed in the Line of Duty where it was NOT preventable and sometimes, we tragically die when doing the job...Not Everyone Goes Home.

But those numbers are the small numbers...the clear minority. It's the numerous tragic, but sometimes so obvious and unnecessary "that didn't have to happen" big number LODD's that we are talking about. That's where it can be managed and where change can happen. Giving credit to the late politician Tip O'Neil, who stated that "All politics are local"..it also applies to us, that "All LODD Prevention Is Local"... from the Chief to the Probie.

Our most sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to all affected, but especially the family of WHFD Explorer Ralph Russo on the horrible loss of a fine young man who just wanted to help.

Related Coverage

Views: 1398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As soon as I read the first two sentences in thesecretlist, I thought about the Chris Kangas debacle.
The Chris Kangas incident raised passionate debate from all of the different camps with regards to receiving federal PSOBs; was it LODD; is a junior a "firefighter"; when is a person a firefighter, among other issues.
I believe that my feelings remain the same.
Though this is another tragic death of a very young junior firefighter, I do not feel that the family should qualify for PSOBs nor be included at the National Fallen Firefighter Memorial.
And keep in mind that this is a discussion thread; not a condolence thread.
The discussion that will come out of this is what I have stated. Believe me. Been there; done that.
Should the family of a 14 year old junior firefighter be entitled to PSOBs if they are killed while responding to an incident, to the fire station or going home from same after an incident?
And should there name be included on the NFFF memorial?
I believe that this can be respectfully discussed.
TCSS.
Art
I have many feelings on this and many that are unpopular and unsupported by Juniors choming at the bit and departments willing to "use" them. But my only question is the same question I had when Chris Kangas died. Why? As in, why is a 14 year old responding to a call at all?
I am a big fan of cadet programs. Air cadets, Sea Cadets, Army Cadets, etc. They are all run in their own facility with their own training and their own activities. None of these activities include warzones, peace keeping or other activities as participated in by the Armed Forces. They are wonderfil programs that prepare the kids for a career in the Canadian Armed Forces and for life in general.
Why on earth can't the Fire Cadet programs be run like this? This would certainly cut down on junior injuries and deaths. A 14 year old (my child's age) should not be responding and should not be dying. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm sure there will be many who disagree, but explaining it to me and trying to change my mind will be futile. They are children.
when does someone become a "member' of a certain dept ?
is it when they are voted in or turn a certain age?, or is it after passing the most basic training ??

in my dept our juniors are considered members of the dept even though they arent able to do alot of the jobs the members over 18 can

i know every dept has it own set of rules and standards for their junior members, but just given the fact that this 14yo was involved enough to ride his bike to a call says something to me

i,m probably in the minority here but i could say this qualifies as LODD
If the fire department condones them responding and allows for it, or even asks them to, then I beleive they should be enetitled to full benefits. The Junior is doing what is asked of them and allowed to do.

If on the other hand, the junior responds without permission (ie: off their own back) then that's a whole different issue and no, they shouldn;t be entitled to anything....
First let me say my sympathies to his family and fellow fire fighters.

I do not believe that 14year olds should be at a scene of a call.

I do not know why he would ride his bike to the scene anyway, what was he going to do when he got there. for one he is not old enough to do most things at a scene and two he did not have turn out gear with him so he would not be allowed to help anyway.

We have been trying to get a fire explorer program started at our station and after thinking on it for awhile I told the chief that I did not think it was a good idea because I do not think they are mature enough and new if they were at the station when the alarm went off he would have them going to the call.

But if they condone them going and this would have happened at the scene or while he was on the apparatus then yes they should be entitled. But riding a bike with no gear heading to some where he should not have been then no they should not get it.
Ever notice how a very compelling issue goes relatively unnoticed with little discussion?
Ever wonder why an issue that involves a 14 year old responding to an incident and is killed does not garner as much notice or discussion as a "I'm single; is it OK to date a fellow firefighter" thread?
Yeah; I thought so, too.
Sad, isn't it?
For all of you who believe that this was a tragic incident that has touched you in some way and you struggle with finding the right words, here's what you do:
reply by hitting three dots. That's ...
What that means to anyone who has been around discussion forums is that you have read it, have been touched by it in some way and can't find the words to reply.

That's all you have to do.

TCSS.
Art
While I cannot condone letting a junior member respond on a bicycle, my Fire Chief was responding when he was 15 -16, as was I, whether running or riding a bicycle.

Naturally, times change and what was an acceptable practice 25-30 years ago is no longer a good idea. My department has junior firefighters, and they are extremely limited in what they can do even during training. But they do serve a function on the fireground in a support role such as rehab.

My real problem with these type of incidents are as Web Chief stated; There is no common definition of what a firefighter is and what constitutes a LODD. A 70 year old who is struck and killed while directing traffic at a fire scene, is considered a LODD even though he is not performing actual fire fighting activities. He still attends drills and other functions, and is productive in support roles, the DOJ says he qualifies as a firefighter. Now some will argue that these two examples are different because one is a minor and one is a septuagenarian. If one follows the DOJ's interpretation, neither one should be considered a fire fighter because neither preforms actual fire fighting duties. Yet both, may be classified as fire fighters by their respective States. Their departments may classify them as fire fighters. Yet the DOJ classifies them differently.

This was the argument by the government in the Chris Kangas case. Not that there are child labor statutes which prohibit minors from performing hazardous duties, but he was not able to perform "fire fighting" duties. This will probably be the result in the Ralph Russo case as well. But I stand and say, rest in peace little brother your heart was in the right place.
Oldman...not to much does this but, that last line of your post brought tears to my eyes
As I have said on another forum, (IACOJ), that could have been me at that age. My head says that he shouldn't have been responding, but at that age, thats what I did, sometimes the heart has to overule the head.

My helmet is off to you little brother.

... ... ...

(Thanks Art)
My thoughts go out to the family of this young boy and I also want to say "thank you" to them. Why you asked, for allowing your son to follow his dream of being a junior firefighter. Many teens today have no idea what they want to do with their lives and for those that do I am glad we have many programs available for them. I am a big supporter of the explorer programs IE: police, fire and search and rescue and Civil Air Patrol whose members start as young as 12 years.

If this young man was doing what his dept allowed him to do and that is respond POV or bicycle to the scene of a call, then by all means it should count as a LODD. But if he was responding on his own then no. I have to ask WHY would the dept have anyone respond to a scene at that age. I would think they should go to the station so they are responding with other members in dept vehicle. I realize there are many depts whose members carry their gear with them and they go directly to the scene but this should not include our explorers or inexperienced new members
ralph russo was my best friend i was the one who was with him that day he was responding to a crash on campbell ave when he couldnt just wait for the light to turn red i yelled at him to stop but he didnt and i pictured the most terrifying event that could ever occur to a popular boy like him may hwe rest in peace
You have my deepest sympathies. I lost one of my best friends to cancer just out of high school. and another was shot when we were in middle school I feel for your lose.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service