2 OF THE STATIONS THAT I AM APART OF HAVE ENTERED INTO AN AGREEMENT TO PROVIDE A RIT TEAM FOR EACH OTHER. 1 STATION IS PAID AND THE OTHER IS VOLLY EITHER WAY WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOME IDEAS ON EQUIPMENT AND SOG'S TO FOLLOW. WE CURRENTLY HAVE AT MY VOLLY STATION 1 ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN SET AS BEING OUR RIT RESPONSE TRUCK. IT IS CARRYING A STOKES, SCOTT RIT KIT WITH EXTRA FACE PIECE AND THE QUICK CONNECTS TO THE BUDDY-BREATHER, SEARCH ROPE 50' TAG LINES OF 1" WEBBING 10', A 18" MULTIPURPOSE TOOL IN THE BAG, A BAILOUT KIT IN THE BAG, TNT TOOL, MARRIED SET, SCOTT TIC, MEDICAL BAG, K-12, SHORT HOOKS AND PRY BARS, SLEDGE HAMMER, BOLT CUTTERS, AND A HIGHRISE PACK FOR A DEDICATED LINE FOR THE RIT CREW, portable radios,flashlights

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We call RIT on 2nd alarm. Besides things listed below We make sure there is one dedicated attack line for Rit and when put in motion I truck is assigned to help with egress and regress. One of the best tools we have bought was a lighted rope which is very bright and cuts smoke well and has red and green lights for direction as well as a knot system. I suggest some training for all involving RIT even if not a team member grab a couple of guys and have them feel a hose coupling and ask them which way is going forward and which was is back? and teach bottle transfers mask transfers and bottle fills in the dark. We also carry a lot of hand hydraulic tools so no need for motors.
I have a book of about 200 simple cheap drills for RIT and fire survival traning. Also make sure if you do not have the same style SCBA that you have spare for each on scene as well as means to do air transfers.
SCBA
Search rope
TIC
Hand tools
chain saw
radios
Lights
Sling-Link
door chocks
Stokes is popular
Wire cutters
Set of irons
air bags are great but need training and cribbing
Good luck and if you ever need any help with RIT please ask.
You have to be very careful not to bog the crew down with too much equipment. The most important things are the RIT PACK for air (with a complete facepiece), TIC for a hasty search, Lighting is always nice, Vise Grips work well for doors equipped with auto closures, Chem-Lite sticks work well for marking, Forcible entry tools are a must. We try to equip all of our FF's with their own personal tools as well (door chocks, insulated cable cutters, and webbing). We also found that if you tie a prussik loop at between 85 inches and 88 inches it will go around a FF's leg to make a handle. The biggest problem is that when we practice downed FF drills, it is usually in an open area and on a smooth surface. If you will read the Phoenix FD's Final report on Bret Tarver, you will see that the biggest obstacle was getting him over the debris. With these loops you can get a FF off the ground and decrease the workload on getting them out. You will alos find that it is much faster. I am not sure about even taking the medical bag in. Get them out and have another crew standing by to handle the treatment. It may also help to speed up getting the RIT in place if you do a move-up to cover the other Dept.'s call area and allow them to provide their own RIT. This will do away with any confusion on RIT Bag set-up/SCBA differences. Move-ups will allow each dept to fully commit to the alarm in their respective districts. I started a RIT group on here called Rescuing the Rescuers, if you are interested in joining.

Loftis
Dose any one have different types of RIT equipment that is brought forward based upon the type of fire incident or do you always bring the same equiptment everytime. An example would be on a small house fire that is pretty much out on arrival versus a large building fire? To add to what is already here we our RIT carries all of the equiptment listed about as well. My Department just recently started to practice RIT as a Team concept and we have become the RIT for several other towns around us.
Some initial tool items for the initial RIT:

SCBA RIT pack with various fittings
Search rope minimum 100ft.
1 Set of Irons
TIC
4 ladder hooks
4 light sticks

Once the initial rit sets-up, the additional equipment should include:

Saws (gas & electric)
Air bags
Ladder
extra air cylinders
air cart if available

All that said, the key to an effective RIT is the training and practice for search, maintaining and removal of downed or trapped FF.
What brand lighted rope are you using? Lumanex has gone out of business and I am looking for other good quality lighted ropes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service