Does your department use foam in structural firefighting? One of my departments use foam in a lean mixture (about 1 percent) when fighting a room and contents/limited damage structure fire. I have noticed faster knockdown speeds, and less rekindles. While this is expensive I really think it limits property damage. I have seen CAFS in operation, but have seen very little success, and a lot of mess. Also in cold temperatures I have seen even less success with CAFS. What does your department use if anything, and whats your opinion?

Views: 762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In both of the department's I run with, we use foam. Flow it at 1%. Like you said, the stuff is expensive, but it does work great. In the one department, it is out in the country. Alote of tanker op's, so the foam makes it easier, faster knock down, less water. In my other one, it is standard, us foam. It's in the SOP's and SOG's.
Foam is a proven useful tool. My department has been using it for years. Typically the most efficient mixture is about 3%. The cost of foam is minimal compared to hours putting out a fire, further sustained property damage, and cost of rekindles.

CAFS is also proven to be more effective than regular foam on most fires.

I've seen both in action, and taken classes on both, and can tell you they are very effective if used properly. Again, the cost is minimal compared to the cost of not using it.
my company does not use foam say the foam is to expensive.
So is that big red thing you ride to the fire, unless your department prefers the less expensive horse and buggy :)
Same here
we have fund raiser to fund every thing we buy and pay bills so we have to choose what we spend our money on. and if the big red thing breaks down we have the funds to fix it. don't et me wrong we are not poor but we try to plan ahead for emergencies and have to pick what we think is whats needed.
We use foam here. It doesn't cost very much at all for us. It is an inline system on three preconnects. We use about .5 or so (not sure, but less than 1) and it is plenty. We have pretty good response times and use it on typical fires that can be under control upon the initial hit. If we flow mega water, the foam is not used until we are under control and doing overhaul operations. Not hard to use like CAFS can be, and works just as well from what I personally have seen.
OUr department does not run Class A foam on the trucks but we do run Class B @ 3%. The buildings we have are huge by anyones comparsion, example 1000 feet long by 200 wide by 150 tall with 80 feet in the ground. This is average size. I do know that structural foam should be used at 1% and though a higher cost for the department it is a great value on the other end of the usage. Foam allows water to be expanded causing less damage on the structure it is being used on. It is very much worth the cost the taxpayers will love you becuase you did less water damage than ever before. Can not beat that at tax levy time.
We have class "A" inline unit to a preconnect used at 1%. Works great but having a hard time getting the older pump operators to use it, even though it has proven it self. I'm in a rural Dept, using almost exclusively tanker ops. I always hear that foam is too expensive, but if you figure the quicker knock down, needing less water which means less trips in our two 2500 gallon tanker(Less Fuel), all other trucks at the scene a shorter period of time which also mean Less Fuel. Also all ff's on scene for less time, the safety of a quicker knock down, etc. etc.. I think the fuel savings kicks the too expensive debate, and ff safety should always to top of mind.......just my thoughts
We use CAFS and once we learned what we were doing the world changed for us....we drastically reduced water usage and got things knocked down in a hurry....as for lean mix....we actually use the class A foam at .3%....yes that's right .3%...we had a log cabin fire one end fully involved...in the attack and the overhaul we use only 347 gallons of water.....in a farm house with 2 bedrooms going on arrival we used 97 gallons....here in the rural area that we live in water is a huge issue....this is working very well for us.....but it took some time and a lot of training to figure everything out....the mix and the pressure...too much pressure and you actually fracture the bubbles in the foam making it useless....Stay safe and keep the faith..........Paul
We have gone back to foam, but it will be used sparingly for sure. We use .5% for structure, up to 1% for fuel less than 4 inches and up to 3% for fuels over 4 inches (I believe that is the proper ratios). Definitely quicker knockdown, it helps the water penetrate the material you are dumping it on faster, helps the water aborb the heat faster and definitely will limit damage if you get in there quickly enough. Let's face it, either way there's going to be clean up, I would rather the foam than more fire loss if the fire is relatively minor to begin with... if it's my house is half gone; let 'er burn, I've seen what insurance companies have called reparable!! lol (juuussssst kidding).
I am on a rural dept and we use a CAFS with a 3% mix. With the travel time for the tanker the foam truck has been one of our best investments, especially for saving adjacent structures. Dry the mix, take the nozzle off the foam gun and lay it on like shaving cream.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service