I have been noticing latley in my FD and other forums in the world of firefighting that alot of people dislike young succesful guys.

For example a recently promoted Lt. told me that he wanted to get promoted so he wouldn' have to work for a young punk with a college degree. WOW I thought I think that was directed @ me.

Now I respect the elder generation fo the fire service my dad is that genertation 30 years in various dept. (industrial, structural, career, and vollie). I realize that the elder generation is what made it possible for me to do this job that I love.

But I don't think the elder generation realizes that:
1. The fires they fought are not the fires we fight today, they need to evolve.
2. They built the FD but we are the future and if they don't help us along in our infancy then what they built will surely fall.

I am a young gung ho guy who trains all the time (just ask my wife) and the older guys seem to resent me for it. When I put in for leave they give me crap about taking another class. Thankfully not all of them in the dept. are like this. Some really reached out to me and we have taught each other alot.

So I just wanna know what you guys think. Do you have this problem? or Are you this problem?

Views: 664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I am a young gung ho guy who trains all the time (just ask my wife)"

I will post on this in a heartbeat. I have been a firefighter for 14 years. I love the new juniors that join, and any young gun that wants to learn the job I take under my wing. I understand youth of today are our future, and should be trained now, and often so they get the full grasp of what we do. However, I feel your pain!! rememver this phrase. "Knowledge is feared" They all seem to worry that you may learn more, or get certified in more than them, because in all reality you become a threat to thier position. Keep doing what you are bro, walk the red line, and keep yourself and the other young guns in the department in a tight group, NEVER QUIT!!

Be well and stay safe
I'm an old guy 30 on various like your pop,everyday is training day get all that you can and rest assured that you did not waste your time.There are those that are going to give you hell put you down and some will try to cut your throat(not literally).Do your job even if you cant get along for five minutes when the tones go watch the back of your asshole brother as well as the others.Things have a funny way of coming full cicle.You'll have the respect if you show the respect.Respect is earned not given.
I have no problem with the younger guys at least the ones that do want to learn listen and do things right. I train many younger guys and have met some great guys and excellent fire fighters. With that said your post alone makes me question your respect?? "The fires they fought are not the fires we fight today" That statement makes me wonder if you take the wisdom someone like me might have gained in the 20 plus years I have been doing this job. I still fight fire today and thats because I was willing to learn and teach and train but I was smart enough to listen to those who taught me along the way. I dont mean to come off as a hard ass but maybe use your ears as much as you use your mouth and eyes and you can learn from others as well as maybe teach them somethings But remember I have earned my respect in my house you need to do the same in yours.

Okay I sound like a jerk reading what I wrote and I dont know you so I shouldnt judge and I wish you the best in your career.
I not only think a person that trains should have the classes but the experience to classes can only take you so far. the rest comes from experience every fire is different in some way and working with a veteran firefighter can teach you some things that are not in a book. best thing to do is to ask them questions learn from them because going from a book to the fire is totally different.
Generation Y!!! That pretty much sums it up.

I know the new gen kids are very educated and are very gung ho when they join ( trying to prove themselve's), but I agree with Dan on this. SHUT your mouth and learn from the years and decades of service and experience the "Old Timers" have to offer. When I stepped into this Brother Hood I had all the respect in the world for the elders and wanted to learn as much as possible. I learned very early on that I did not have a clue about what was right or wrong and I certainly did not have a clue about the history of the Fire Service or this new place I would soon call home.. Tradition, Respect for the Authority (this includes the guy's with 6 months more time), Chain of Command, and foremost the Brother Hood!!!

Head up, mouth shut, be a big sponge and learn all you can from everyone that will teach you.
Respect and being a team or company officer do not come over night, it takes time from both sides.

Be Safe, and never forget those who have fallen!!
Well I have gotten some good and some bad responses. If I offended anyone Im sorry.

First let me clarify somethings:
1. I have been in the fire service for 10 years vollie and worked in 2 career dept. in a short time. I realize this in no way makes me a vet but I don't think I classify myself a rookie either. I think I am a young guy still learning the job in "todays" fire service.
2. The quote "the fires they fought are not the fires we fight today" came from a nationally recognized speaker named Dave Dodson a 30 year vet who has a great class called "The Art of reading Smoke". If he is saying it and has all those attributes you guys choose to look up to in a senior guy, don't you think it might be true???
3. I don't take offense to anything posted you have your opinion and can gladly vioce it. All I ask is the same respect wich thus far has been given to me.

Thanks and stay safe
I have seen some young guys join, and all they want is to be seen in the big shinny fire truck and wave at girls. They get the minume cert's they need to ride and staff and that is all. On the other hand, I have seen some join, and they want to be here, and learn. As an engine drive, I know who I want sitting behind me.
I have a feeling that a few bad apples give everyone a bad name. It's the same for most groups. Unfortunately I know a few young guys who think they are the King Shit because they have been told that all their lives and because their parents provided for them everything they wanted... they walked through school and walked throgh college and then automatically expect 100% respect and admiration without putting up the work and proving their worth.
That being said, I also know a lot of young guys who worked their asses off to get where they are. They may have been helped along the way, but appreciate every bit of it. They work hard, they want to prove themselves, but without looking like they have something to prove.. heads down, work done and quietly earning the respect as they go. As we all have seen, it's the guys with the big mouths and the bad attitudes who paint a group. It's unfortunate, but the same guy who says this about the "young people today" will also be the one to really respect and appreciate a young guy who works his ass off!
In response to #2: To misquote the point does not make it right. In making his statement he is speaking of those who resist change and refuse to evolve or change their ways within the fire service. If I recall correctly he is refering to firefighters who have not been interior or actively fighting fires recently. At least thats how I took it IN MY OPINION If they are still active and interior guys they have much more experience, know how, and quite frankly a much better concept of how firefighting has changed in the last 30 years. Even if they aren't interior guys anymore they are still represent a wealth of knowledge, and deserve a high level of respect. Just because things have changed it doens't make what they say irrelevant. To ignore the older firefighters input and lessons, is just as bad as a young guy being knocked for training and knowing something...
I was once a young guy I swear I was ..lol..I remember just sitting and listening to the war stories and picking up little things god and bad. I also knew when an officer or a older guy said we need to get this or that from the truck at a scene or a drill or cleaning I was the forst one to run over and get. One it taught me where everything was without thinking and two I wanted them to see I wanted to learn and the more I listened and wanted to learn the more they respected me and where willing to teach and let me do. I have a few new guys near me and trust me they all enjoy going in with me, why? not because I lecture or show off no I will move down a hose line given them a nozzle and back them up and teach as I do it show them smoke and fire reaction or hand them the saw on the roof and help and watch them make a proper vent cut. The ones who want it I will give to I also know a few that when its time to clean up seem to fade away or when its work time they have a habit of not rolling hose or packing a truck. There are good and bad in every age.
As far as Dave Dodson and his class your right he is an excellent teacher and a class person I have met him at 3 or 4 conventions and he is a good person but taking one quote from anyone and calling it the word makes no sense. I have taken numerous classes from numerous people in many areas and each has a view and you have to take the information and sort it out for what is best in your situation.
The FD, as a whole, is totally resistant to change, especially the older generation (I know, cause I am one of them. I have been a fireman for over 21 years). I like,you have college degrees (several in fact) but since I am retired, I kknow that things have changed. Just hang in there and dont let it get you down.
I am the third youngest on my depatment and I made captain. But this took a lot of hard work to make it this far. The rest of the guys didn't have a problem with this. There are three of us who train all the time. We are the top ranking people on the department. Some of the older guys I feel just feel they "know" everything there is to know. No matter what training is available they won't take it. Us as younger guys need to be better trained for the future. The older guy on my depatment don't feel training is neccessary. They are here to be here and get paid for what little they do. As younger guys we do all the grunt work with no praise for what we do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service