I need some advise. I've been with this very small fire department for almost 4 years now. The problem I'm having is my training, or lack of it. All the time I've been there, Almost every time that I'm home from my job, I drive an 18 wheeler for a rebar company, and a training session is scheduled, it gets cancelled for some reason or other. The years have gone by and I'm still unfamilar with the pumper's controls. The only thing I can do with confidence is drive it.
My question is, should I stay and hope for the best, or cut my losses and leave?
My father was a fire fighterfor many years and retired back in 2005. I don't want to disapoint him because I am the only son of 4 that decided to start a family tradition in fire fighting.
If you aren't in the "in" crowd here in Cowgill, one doen't go far.
Stay or go? Thank you for any responses.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stay and the next fire call watch someone as they operate the pump but for me thats the easiest way to learn things is to watch others do it
i think if you wanna learn how to pump is just go out and watch on a structure one day or just try it out at your station
Hard to say Joseph......

With your job keeping out of the area, I can see how you feel like an outsider. I really don't think that they are canceling training on purpose (at least I hope they are not). There are a lot more jobs in the fire service than running the pump. This is usually a job that you have to work up to. There are many other jobs that need to be done on the fire ground that don't require as much training.

I would say that if you love it......then stay. Good luck in your choice.
Sounds like you are doing it for the WRONG reasons.
Training is for YOU.
Being on a fire department should be YOUR desire to help. It shouldn't be to make someone proud of you or be used as the social network.
Firefighting is serious business; volunteer or career. Fire does three things; it injures, kills and destroys. It doesn't do it any differently, whether you are a volunteer or career.
Your only equalizer is your training.
If you aren't getting it, you'd better change it.
Either train to a competent level or look for another way to meet new friends.
My dad was proud of me before I became a firefighter.
TCSS.
Art
Art is right.... Being a firefighter just because you are the "only son of 4 that decided to start a family tradition" is a bad idea. It is not for everyone. If you don't have time to do it because of your full time job then you shouldn't do it. If you haven't had time to learn how to pump in four years... you are too busy. I'm sure your dad would rather have you around rather than see you get hurt doing something that you aren't fully trained for.
If your main concern is training, there are many other places to go get training. Look for outside classes or even training at other area departments. If you actually have the motiation to train, then seek it out.
Get out ot there. I understand that you have been with this department for four years and have gotten very close, but, what good will it do you if you get toned out and end up in a situation where it not only affects your performance but ultimately puts the entire department at risk for lack of training. It can ultimately end up in a disaster or worse, someone getting killed.

I stayed with the same department for two years long after completion of my FF1 training. I never got a chance to respond to any fires with them but I can tell you that I can dismantle and reassemble a Scott SCBA in my sleep due to training training and more training.

That's where I see things going.
Erin
Hi brother my advice is stay with your dept if you have any other dept to go in .They need you brother .The force of firefighter is the number of man in dept .I think the best is coming
Fire departments that are unwilling to conduct training are a safety hazard for themselves and the comunity they serve. I would cut my losses with this fire department and try joining another department locally. Maybe you will be fortunate and be embraced and they will have a great training program.
Joe... The decision is yours to make. If you decide to stay it needs to be for YOU because you enjoy what you do. As you know there's more to the job than just pumping the truck. If that's your only training issue then get with someone knowledgeable and let them teach you. Pumping the truck isn't rocket science but you do need some training on how to do it well. Don't just stay for your dad. If you're not in it for you and your community than you're in it for the wrong reason. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck on your decision.
Look around for a full time fire house they are always doing training, grab your gear and an scba and join them. Most of these full time houses invite the smaller volunteer guys for training, and are glad to have you. We train individually sometimes at these just to get the experience, usually there is a full timer asigned to one person and will help you out all day. As far as operating the equipment write down the steps to charging a hose from your truck,study it and study it, know one that I know of could just show up and know how to do everything. Fire service is great but do it for you and then for your dad. Good Luck be safe
in my company we have the same problem.before i became career i had trouble making it to training at the station.you need to go to a class that will teach you how to work the pump handle.i didnt learn from waiting on guys from my station to help me i went out and found help.if you dont learn how to do it rite then you shouldnt mess with it till you do.there are so many things that can go wrong in a fire that if the operater dont know what he is doing people get killed.just learn from a instructure who will give you the one on one time you need.dont give up.there should never be an in crawd in a fire house but there are.just remember REAL firefighters do this to save lives not make friends.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service