The below story was copied from firefighterclosecalls.com
CO DANGER: USE CAUTION! (PA HOTEL GUEST DEAD, EMS & PD TREATED)
Saturday, January 19, 2008
This incident first call came in as an individual with flu symptoms and then a hour later for multible victims.(Scroll down for specific 1st Responder details) ...reminding us of what we are dipatched to may not be what we have on arrival!
Carbon monoxide fumes killed a hotel guest and sickened four others after a construction canopy blocked venting from the building’s water heaters. Levels of the gas were so high that rescuers were forced to retreat until the hotel, the Best Western Allentown Inn and Suites, could be ventilated. The dead hotel guest was identified as Philip D. Prechtel, 63, of Hilton Head Island, S.C. Four guests were taken to a hospital, said Pete Nickischer, a Berks-Lehigh Regional Police spokesman. Five emergency workers were also taken to the hospital as a precaution.
1 critical (the DOA’s wife)
3 ambulance personnel with moderate symptoms
2 police officers with minor symptoms
6-10 guests with moderate symptoms
More guests with minor symptoms
All CO poisoning.
Exhausts from propane water heaters were trapped under plastic strung up by construction workers.
The trapped CO was sucked back into practically every room via the room heater/AC window units.
Levels of 75 ppm in the lobby, 100 in the hallways.
In the room (first floor) of the deceased (after doors and windows were opened) still pegged meters at 400 ppm.
Basement boiler-room - pegged meters at 400 ppm.
Area of the pool - 30-40 ppm.
Second and third floor guest rooms on that side of the building - 20-40 ppm.
Everyone Goes Home
<![if !IE]>▶<![endif]> Reply to This