just wanted to throw this out there a department that i was recently on had an old BEER delivery truck as a rescue rig as far as special rescue and extrication works well with a support vehical for rescue calls and other incidents for refilling scbas and what not

BE GOOD BE SAFE
SAPPER

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why not? If it fitted their needs! I hope they had it totally re-painted though... Back to serious mode, all that type vehicle needs is to be able to cart equipment around, so why not.
Repainted and emptied! haha. TCSS
A previous department I was one had one of these. The compartments worked well for multiple tools. This was considered our heavy rescue and went on all MVC's, Confined Space Rescues, Even served as our mobile cascade system. In my opinion this was a very usful rig as far as getting tools to the scene. Only lacking ability was delivering personnel. It was a two seater.

And yes we repainted it and took the 5% by volume label off. :)
A neighboring F.D. also has an old beer truck as their heavy rescue. Does the job and costs far less than a custom made rescue vehicle.
My department just ordered a pumper/rescue. The price tag was over $275,000.00. With NO equipment. We have looked @ rescue vehicles for a few years. For US, this way we combined a pumper (which we needed) with a rescue vehicle which we also needed.
BUT - We did consider other types of vehicles. A delivery truck would make a great rescue vehicle. They have the compartments & the type of cab & chassis needed. One of our tankers is a converted fuel truck. It didn't cost too much to get it cleaned & painted compared to the price of a new tanker. It is now not our first out tanker but it still serves its purpose.
Our brush truck is an old military 4wd. The brush vehicle we had prior to this one was also a military vehicle.
Last year we purchased a new KUV utility vehicle that serves as a combination light rescue/rehab/first responder vehicle. It looks like a plumbers truck. It also has the compartment space & box that we needed. The vehicle that this one replaced was a used ambulance that we bought from the county for not a lot. It got to the point that it needed MAJOR mechanical rehab, replacement was a more economical option for us at the time.

Other vehicles can often be converted or rehabilitated to serve another purpose. My entire department was built on these trucks in the past. HAVING the equipment you need is the point and it sure beats NOT having it available when you do need it.
but you also have to realize older military vehicals are not covered by NFPA and other certifying agencys or beer truck for example is mainly used for support at large incidents not as a first out rig
This was out first Hazmat truck as well. Before we got our finding together for the better trucks.
We used to have a bread truck for a rescue truck. I don't see anything wrong with it. Besides, "Rolling Rock' Fire Department has a certain ring to it. ;)
If it gets the job done. Our heavy rescue (R31) is made from an excess chasis from the feds, it was a service truck. And the box is made from an old interstate battery box. We also built one of our tenders in house. Both have been featured in "trade mags". Here is a link to them..the tender 31 and heavy rescue 31 projects.
http://www.pofd3.org/photos/equip.htm
We are very proud of what we have built. Be safe and learn something new today.
our tanker is a old milk truck,rescue is a old ambulance. Antwerp rescue is a old bread truck.. happens alot with depts with a poor budget ..Get what you can get and make do....
Looks good. I believe that we were more proud of our trucks when we were able to "do it ourselves", it was something we could call our own.
NFPA applies to new vehicles not referbished. Any new vehicle manufactured/purchased is supposed to meet NFPA 1901 for Automotive Fire Apparatus or 1906 for Wild Land Apparatus.
I'm sorry I haven't looked @ those in sometime so I don't remember exactly what they do say. But I am pretty sure that they do not require us to retrofit old apparatus to meet those codes.
I'm not sure this last one doesn't meet them as far as lights & reflective signs etc. . it is a diesel engine. I think there is something in there about a cooling system for brakes (I can't remember)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service