Last night we responded to a 2 vehicle t-bone accident with 1 patient trapped. I was first on scene with my pov and decided that we'd have to pop the driver side door off to get this patient out. I had the spreaders in my hand when I noticed the patien was not covered up with a blanket. I asked one of our FF to go and get one. My captain tells me we dont need one (the glass is already broken) I told him that we're not popping this door tell she's covered up. I know sometimes you dont have time to spare and you need to get the person out NOW. She had no life threating injuries and I wanted to make sure that she was covered. I've always been tought to cover the patient up. Was I in the wrong for telling my captain no in this case? He was not bad with me at all, he just thought I was wasting time. What would you have done?

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a very true statement. The same could be said for time in the fire service.
Right on Justin:)
hey great question i am a firm believer in following sop(g)'s if yours requires covering patients(and they should)then the line officer should know better. One other thought we cover both patient and ems for no other reason then for piece of mind for patient, they just went through a traumatic event and you want to wrap them up like a burrito keeping the ems caregiver in with them assures them all is well
We also cover the medic who has c-spine too.
I dont think you were wrong on that, I know I would have done the exact same thing.
If no one brought me a blanket, I would have taken my clothes off and covered the victim and let them all SEE MY NAKED ASS!! You did right.(I'm for CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE ALL THE WAY, BABY!!)

..SusanDianeMurphree..LivingInMarianna,ARfor22yrs.
Seriously...
Or you could go get your own blanket. Less jail time.
Everyone's safety is the most important consideration. Sometimes we see one way and and others see it another. How do you feel challenging your officer's point of view? If you feel you did the right thing then why are you soliciting acceptance for your action. I agree with your request to protect your patient and ask you to do a post incident debriefing with all the first responders that were there. This would be beneficial for all and your dept. would gain more preparedness for the next call of this type.
I would have done the same thing you did.Not only are you going to protect the pt. just covering them with a blanket helps them understand there is someone there to protect them and keep them safe and calm. BRAVO to you for standing your ground!!!!!
To Justin Harmon:
POINT WAS: There was no time to WASTE going to get one!

.. However, your point to my comment is well taken.
......10-4 and OUT!
I would have done the same thing. Patient care is the priority. Since there were no life threating injuries it only made since to cover her up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service