We have a four lane road through our area that has a turn lane . When we get a call there is at least two cars that will pull into the turn lane and stop . I remember taking my divers test and it said to pull to the right . Did that test change and they can pull any place they want ? I have even had them stop dead in the road . What is your thoughts ?

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Ohio I know that they are supposed to go right for lights and sirens, that being said I to have had them stop in the middle of the road as well as into the turn lanes.
I just had an instance where we have had cars on a three lane road, all three lanes stop and don't move. Then they start moving to either the left or the right. You don't want cars that are in the far lane moving all the way over to the right. You should pick one of the center lanes and stay there. The cars will move one way or the other. We usually will pick the center lane and the cars either move left or right. They figure it out. It does get frustrating though...
People are supposed to move to the right BUT kids arent supposed to play with matches, Men arent supposed to burn brush 5 feet from there house and women arent supposed to put makeup on while driving. Bottom line people do whatever they want without thinking.
Traffic should pull all the way to the right side of the road and stop. Sometimes people will become confused and stop in the middle of the road, then remember what to do and pull toward the right.

This is why you should always pass traffic on the left wherever possible.
Every intersection is different. There are times when I wish people wouldn't pull right. In my POV, if I'm in a left turn lane, I'm going to stay there. That's probably the safest spot. It may be safer to just stop than to drive another 1000 feet trying to find a spot to pull over.
here in Michigan its pull to the right and the emergency vehicle should pass on the left even if it means going into an on coming lane
Same thing happens here... pull to the right apparently means, "panic and just move your car where ever you feel like". I love using the turning lanes, but as luck would have it, someon is always pulling into them. Shit happens, i suppose, we just have to be ready for it.
"Did that test change and they can pull any place they want ?" As you don't have national road laws, That's a bit hard to answer I think.

For us, we're just taught that we can't trust civilians to do the right thing. Some will react properly, some will ignore us, others will panic and can do anything! The onus is on us to be aware of the good the bad and the ugly and to get through the traffic safely. If that means slowing down or even stopping, so be it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service