I'm sure this is already done but Isearched and couldnt find anything. Whats everyones favorite tool for an interior search? I like a pickhead axe. Its lighter and easier to slide around than a halligan

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like any tool that has some reach. Axe, halligan, 4' pike pole.
Your right Justin the pick head ax is a great one cause of it being so light. But there are others out there I am sure.... It will be great to hear what they are....
I agree with the axe....But why a pick-head...?? if your partner takes a halligan and you take a FLAT head axe then between you there isn't much that you could run into and not handle...hard to use a pick-head axe as a striking tool......Stay afe and always remember to keep the faith....Paul
In a situation where you have dedicated search team and a like hose team that would be great but usually my partner has a hose. And a halligan is the ideal entry tool but I have found for me thats its to gawky to slide around with the axe I can hold the head and slide the handle around. I take a pick head because the point on the end is nice to have if you do need something to pry or start a small hole its not ideal but it will work.
If you are doing a search then you don't have time to drag a hoseline with you....you are like a RIT team...you are looking to find someone and find them fast....a third person can follow you and cover as needed...but a 2 peson search team can cover a lot of area quiakly and efficiently.....Paul
right on Brian, same oh here:)
I prefer the irons. I carry the halligan and I put the flat head in my belt. it can be awkward at first, but you get used to it. A hook is nice as well, but it doesn't always afford you the same options as the irons. If I"m the hook man,then I also carry a pick head axe. Remember, plan to not just be able to get into an area for search, but also plan to be able to get out of an area that goes real bad real fast. This said, I prefer to have two tools on every call. Thanks and be safe.
I'm with you on the pick head axe, for the same reason. I let the probies carry the halligan whenever possible.
It seems we are in the minority on this.
Just get an irons sling/shoulder strap, and you can carry the irons married and not have to slide them around. That lets one firefighter carry the irons. The other one can carry other tool and a thermal imager, so the team can still move fast.
I like the axe as well and a search rope that is approximately 10 foot long and attached to my partner for greater reach.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service