"In our area, an MVA on the street or highway gets the same response with a Rescue Engine and a Squad(which is an ALS transport unit manned by at least two firefighter/paramedics. It is also equipped with SCBA's and hand tools for a fire…"
"Over the last few years, I've changed the set up on my belt. I now carry my rope bag with a carabiner in my left pants pocket and on my belt I have two screw locking carabiners attached @ different points. I still slide a flat head or sledge…"
"After using both the fixed and folding blades, I don't carry either. I carry a box cutter from Home Depot w/ replaceable blades. I keep it clipped on the inside of the radio pocket on my chest. It's a perfect one handed operation and when…"
"I carry a small tool bag. A lot of the guys call it my "Man Purse." So, in my "Man Purse," I keep an extra hood, an extra pair of structural gloves, a towel, a winter hat, extra door chocks, my SCBA mask, my radio strap, my truck…"
"IMO, 6 ft is better. Some say that a 5 ft'er is easier to move around with especially in cramped quarters but I personally have never had that problem. if I can stand an extra foot back when I'm pulling ceiling or venting a window or…"
"I carry 1 wooden door chock secured to my helmet with a rubber strap from an old truck tire inner tube and I have a mounted LED Streamlight. I agree with the other members here that what's ON your helmet is no where near as important…"
"For my department, if my means of egress become blocked and I need a ladder to a window in order to bail out, this warrants a MAYDAY. Once I call the MAYDAY, the OIC is expecting a LUNAR report from me and for us a LUNAR report is my…"
FF I,II, Paramedic, Fire Instructor, Fire Officer I,II
Yes, I am muslim and if there is anyone here who would like to know about Muslims in the Fire service and the truth about Islam please feel free to ask me anything. I am sure Islam is not what you think it is or what you have heard that it is, so please take this opportunity to ask me absolutely anything. Thank you.
Full time Firefighter/Paramedic
Why I Joined Fire/EMS
I became a FF because of a desire to help others and the opportunity to sacrifice much of myself for the betterment of humanity.
Why I Love Fire/EMS
It is a noble and honorable profession that one can be proud of.
Top Issues Facing Responders:
manpower, budgets, building construction, training, and a lack of public education
Comment Wall (13 comments)
You need to be a member of My Firefighter Nation to add comments!
Sorry it's been so long since I've last been on the site.
I wasn't the one who brought in the rum balls, but I'm very relieved to read that the other programmer didn't inadvertently cause Hamid to do something against his faith.
I may have more questions in the future and appreciate having you out there willing to answer them.
Stay safe out there!
My day job is computer engineering. Fire service involvement has always been volunteer.
I have worked with many Muslims engineers but I'm not in contact with any right now. Moved away. So I appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions.
1. A fellow programmer once brought some home-made confections to work and passed them around. Our Muslim supervisor popped one in his mouth, smiled and said, "mmm, good What are they?" She said, "Rum balls." Hamid murmured "Rum?" with a horrified look on his face then ran from the room, spitting the goop into his hand. And I realized! I turned to the girl and said, "He's Muslim. They don't drink alcohol." Ever since then I've wondered - is the accidental ingestion of alcohol considered as big a "sin" as deliberately drinking?
2. What, if anything, does the Koran say about forcing non-Muslims to convert to Islam?
3. Does the Koran require Muslims to respect others practicing their religions?
4. What is dhimittude (sp?)?
5. When I was in college I met an Iranian Muslim in the computer lab (1974). He asked me out but I had work that night and when he asked I told him where I worked. So, he showed up at my job that night. Behind him, keeping about fifteen feet back and glaring daggers at me, was a girl who was dressed conservatively but not in any traditional looking dress. He didn't introduce me and when they left he just took off ignoring her. She followed him out while staying back several feet. Who the heck might she have been do you think? Sister, cousin, unrelated chaperone, wife # 1?
Hello my brother I am from Syria I am fire officer in Aleppo Fire & Rescue Department I am graduated form military school land forces in 1996 .
utile now in Fire service.
Aleppo city has 2.000.000 population but as u know my country is growing so we have weakness in the (training , the number of firefighters,Arabic references ) so I spent 4 years to learn English and I translated allot of fire information and taught for my Aleppo firefighters.
I followed 2 courses in Egypt about HAZMAT , technical rope rescue in Malaysia, today is latest day in Japan I have just finished course about disaster risk reduction
I hope to study about fire in USA in future
sorry for my bad English