Should tattoos be allowed in uniform??

Views: 2590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think if the tattoo is cover that is fine. me i have no tattoos their are a few that have them in the departement. i think it should be up to the departement to make the rules on tattoos. i know if you are a patient you really won't care if they have a tattoo or not we are their to help them out not to show off tattoos.
This question makes me wonder if I'm a hypocrite. I have three tattoos - one visible and two that don't show. I obviously don't mind tatoos in general, but I don't like the full-sleeve type. Those put me in mind of outlaw bikers, of petty criminals. Both classes of people I have no time for (Both classes? Outllaw bikers ARE criminals). And I know that's not the case! So I'll just say to each his/her own, including an employer.
Really? How so? Could you elaborate on which part?
if you're going to offend me, at least use spell check first. this "trashy and 'teribal'" tattooed woman can barely understand how you're insulting me.
How does your profession not reflect upon your personality or your personal beliefs? Isn't that how we find what profession it is that truely makes us happy?

I'll cover my tattoos for interviews and under uniforms all you want, but it doesn't change the person that I am or the person YOU think I am. So what difference does it make if I show them or not? Other than you don't like them, and you would be biased in hiring someone based on them. How's that for an attitude check?
Probably missing the point, but surely if someone has gang or outlaw biker tat's they would also have a rap sheet as long as their fully sleeved arm? Would this not stop them getting a job?

The policy's opening a whole can of worms again. Would the Dept not be discriminating by age because someone who is older is more likely to have made the decision to have had a tattoo earlier in their life for whatever reason against someone younger who is maybe aware of the policy, through experiencing explorers or fire college so therefore hasn't undertaken to have one done?

Take a look at the singer 'Seal' he has tribal brandings to his face. Would he or similarly anyone else of similar descent be stopped from a job because of these brandings or could it be viewed by him as racist? The Japanese have tattoo'd for centuries as part of their culture.

Looking at other forums that tattoo'd firefighters subscribe to showing off their tatt's, it's a shame as many members are choosing to remember 9/11 and other bereavements / respectfulness by using this permanent medium, for that reason because it is a permanent reminder.

I have three tatt's, mine come just below the bottom of a t-shirt sleeve to show that I have them but not to show what they are. If anyone is specifically interested in them I can lift my sleeve to show them off, however, I don't think that by having them makes me any less of a respected person for the job that I do.

There are some very narrow minded people out there and unfortunately the open minded panders to the narrow minded again. Anything to avoid a complaint!!!
like everyone else as long as they are not offensive its ur body so i dont see a problem with it. In the end it comes down to if they really need ur ambulance and are really sick they wont care r if u pull them out of a burning building i dont think they care if u have a tattoo or not. BESIDES IF GOD DIDNT WANT US TO HAVE TATTOOS HE WOULDNT HAVE GIVEN US SO MUCH CANVAS! (LOL BUT TRUE)
I am for the tatoos that show pride in what we do, but as well they should be able to be hidden under the uniform. There are alot of people who think of tats as being filthy and disgusting, which is far from the truth these days.
I have to agree. I have several and am getting more. As a matter of fact I just got threw emailing my tattoo artist with a idea for a new tattoo and to set a date to get the final touchs on a preexisting one.
Attitudes are rarely self known. Your last two sentences. TCSS
Huh? TCSS
First of all, I was actually spit on by a random woman in an equestrian flea market. She spit on her hand and put her hand on my chest and tried to rub off my tattoos. How would you like it if someone did that to you? I have every right to have somewhat of an attitude about that.

Secondly, whoever comes to my house to save me or my loved ones lives - I will not be turning away or judging them. That is my point - if someone can be so ignorant to associate an interest in tattoos with someones intellectual capability to provide care or help for someone then maybe they should rethink the country they live in. Not to mention the rights that WE ALL HAVE to do what we please within responsible reason AND the constitution in general before they have something to say about what's on my skin (which happens to be birds and flowers, how threatening is that?).

Is everyone in Texas like this? I guess if all people with tattoos are bad people then I can go ahead and assume everyone in Texas wouldn't care for me - based on your theory. How's that for a generalization? Attitude check - my ass.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service