What is the biggest issue facing your department? How do you fix it? I believe for my department its training and being active as a group. We have several on our department that dont take training serious they would skip it if possiable. We also cant get many people to show up for any thing we do as a department fundrasiers, dinners or just to work on trucks. This is a trend that started several years back when several bad things happend to our department. We lost our station to a fire, and there was a few major battles between members and of course the politics of dealing with the city didnt help either. I think this trend is changing with some new members really wanting to get active and a new chief wanting to focus on more training and being a more active department in the community. I know there will always be a little strife of some sort but i think its all working out for the better.

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand what your saying if you can ever get a good chief back in there who believes the department as a whole is more important then the politics it will start working out and Justin if you have a good line on some grants I would sure love some info on them.
Manning - 2 men per engine, ladder, and rescue.
In my opinion, politics.
Is your department rolling one manned units? Weve done it a few times here but havent had to in awhile.
The biggest issue we face is ourselves.

We elect the board which appoints a chief. The board we have now (7 people) 4 have never been active firefighters, 1 doesn't go to meetings and the other two follow the pack and none of them listen to the membership. They elected a chief who wasn't around all last year (didn't even have a full set of gear) and no one (about 4 people, myself included) declined the Deputy spot. So a guy who hasn't been around for 7 years is deputy and not qualifed to drive 2 of 4 pieces of equipment including out Haz-mat truck and the rescue.

The really bad thing is that we have funding (over $300k) we have members, well used to run 5-6 people on an engine. We've scratched the last three runs. They decided to not show up. We still have members but no one cares.

We were a company that ran with almost everyone and even out of state but the chief as alienated everyone including our neighboring companies.

It's a shame, we're getting ready to celebrate 60 years next year.
There is always going to be some kind of personal conflict in the department, that many people cant agree on everything but it is sad when it goes all the way through to where people stop responding because of internal battles. I have seen people chose to ride in the next truck out to not have to ride with someone.
I'd have to say big headed firefighters, and know it alls

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service