It's 9:00 at night and your at your local bar with your friends, and a 24 y/o male goes down in the bar, he's not breathing and no pulse......................and you don't have a cpr mask or gloves. Do you wait for an ambulance, or do you perform CPR without a mask?

I've talked to our CPR instructor and he stated if we're on scene like and this happens we can do just chest compression and we wont get into trouble.

Anyways I'd do what I've got to, mask or not, I'm doing full CPR.

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a really hard call to make....esp in this day and age with the knowledge we now have....Hell, I can remember the days that you weren't considered broke in till you were Christined...(Mouth to mouth and victim vomitted into your mouth....YUK..!! )..Now they say just doing compressions "Hard and Fast" is as effective as with giving respirations with compressions...there is too much science of Pathophysiology to go into....but I might just do that until the proper equipment arrives......Stay safe....keep the faith.....Paul
i thought the the stander for cpr changed and chest compressions was all you needed to do now ?
I think its 30 to one now?
I would just do compressions, You never know what someone else has or has been doning. Its not worth contracting something your self and then possibly passing it on to your family.
Get someone to go to my truck cause my med gear is in my truck . Start doing impressions and hope someone else in there can help .
If you have been drinking as well, you may be better off doing nothing. Now, this may sound callous, but think about it. If things go poorly and you were identified as a trained medical professional with alcohol on board, you will really have some splaining to do Lucy. This is a tough situation to be in for sure.
i was told and i dont know how accurate this is cause i havent talked to the cpr instructor that i work with just yet. but if you intend on doing full cpr and are some where that you have access to things that you could improvise. like saran wrap with a slit cut into it for giving breaths. but dont quote me on that. just something a birdie told me
well I'm sure it would work though good idea, better than nothing:)
Compressions only, or if you have had more drinks than you think you should have for working on a VSA, instruct another patron or bar staff who has not. No mouth to mouth, no mouth on saran wrap or plastic bag (vomit won't just slip under it, it will come through the slit you have made. Do continuous compressions until help arrives. Consider you inhale 21% o2 and exhale 5% (or is it 6?), so there's still oxygen in that body, get the blood moving, it's better than wondering.
The hands only CPR is official; AHA made a reccomendation already. The body has oxygen enriched blood lying still from the time of pump failure...

As far as possibly being under the influence (9pm some of my buds can be under the table by then) and jumping in to assist without the proper personal protection, that just seems to be trouble. Not only for you but your family... But many things to think about, do you have a duty to act? Does your state have a duty to act policy. Mine does not but in VT if you have a FD or EMT plate and do not stop to assist, I have been told you can be ticketed.

Then add in if you are in a small town and everyone knows the FD or EMS... that can be very stressful situation upon all involved.
In regards to you possibly been drinking......you were on scene, you did not respond. That should be covered under good samaritian law. Also I believe there is a duty to render aid obligation. Now Im not sure if these are national or state laws. I dont feel that you did anything wrong other than not PROTECT yourself. As mentioned, you can do the chest compressions until other help arrives. Thats what I would do.
I've thought about this and I'm in the compressions-only camp. I would never (again) do mouth-to-mouth breathing without a proper barrier device. I've thought of ways to improvise, perhaps with a rubber glove with a finger cut short or plastic wrap; but the reality is, when someone is down the time for farting around has passed.

Also, regarding duty to act and such matters: If your department is toned out for the call you have a legal duty to act, and I believe this may apply even if you haven't yet been dispatched. If you are out of district it becomes a moral duty to act and you will be covered by the Good Samaritan laws.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service