Winter is coming sooner than we think. In years past we've had areas where, after a heavy snowfall, the fire hydrants disappear due to ignorant civilians plowing out their driveways and covering them up. In addition to an awareness campaign trying to educate homeowners about the dangers of not keeping the hydrants near their homes unburied, my town has installed steel rods with little flags on top that attach to one of the caps on the hydrant. They easily flex out of the way when opening or closing the hydrant.

Several ajoining towns have done similar things to ensure their hydrants are able to be located after heavy snowfall. I was wondering what other F.D's are doing about this.

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Engineco913

I wonder how many on here don't know what a divining rod is, let alone have seen one in action.

TCSS
Probably only "old-timers" or country folk! Doubt many city slickers know! LOL
we had a family friend growing up that could do it. he even located the water for the well we put in our pasture using it.
Yeah I hear that. Several years ago, they had every FF reporting for duty to bring in a snow shovel from home. Then each crew drove around their districts looking for buried hydrants and dug them out.
We don't use anything special, but we can usually find them with no problem at all. Every wagon driver should have the knowledge to know where most hydrants are. Even in probation you have box alarms on your test where you're given an address. You have to give the running route from the fire house(the quickest one) and the two closest hydrants for maybe 80 or so box alarms. To promote to technician as a permanent spot it becomes A LOT more than that.
I live in the Buffalo, NY area. We get a lot of lake effect snow. This stuff just keeps coming. This last bout we had, plows left 18 - 24 inches form the curb and the snow was 2-3 feet deep. The markers in the District I live in are the kind on a spring. Some snap off, some catch the wet snow and fold down. So when it's time to dig them out we have a running book with the addresses where the hydrant is located. We make copies and give it to the New York State Dept of Corrections and have inmates dig them out. This only applies for moderate to large storms. Other wise we find and dig them out, or the home owner digs it out. Always have a back up plan.
After heavy snow falls work crews are put together (labor done by mostly probies) and we go out and dig out all of the hydrants in town.
We did that once several years ago when we had too much snow. If we can get the "plow operators" to NOT bury the hydrants, that would be even better!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service